Custom Bossk-just beginning...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wax murderer

Super Freak
Reaction score
After a bit of thinking about it, I've decided to create a custom of my favorite bounty hunter, Bossk. Two successful Ebay auctions later, I have:
1. A Hasbro 12" figure(for costume and detail parts)
2. A Gentle Giant Mini-Bust(originally intended as a sculpting reference)
3. A headless, handless Buck body(from Van Helsing)
Initial problems; the costume is designed to fit the very barrel chested Hasbro body, and is therefore a bit loose on the Buck.Also, some of the detail parts are , shall we say, not so great.
On the plus side, the GG sculpt is outstanding in every respect.It is also cast in a material I can work with. Originally, I was going to cannabalize it for the head, arms and gun.I soon decided that I liked it too much to completely destroy, so I've decided to carefully remove the arms and gun, pull some molds and the re-assemble it. To that end, the gun is already clayed up and ready for the first mold half to be poured. Pity I don't have enough rubber on hand...
I'll post pics soon, and as work progresses...PS

Really looking forward to seeing this. I have a bashed Bossk completed, but cannot figure out what to do with the head.

I really do not like the Hasbro head and have been looking for alternatives. Curious to see how yours turn out.

The husbro sculpt is pretty good just the body sucked. Body swap and a tidy up on his costume and he'll look great.

Okay;picture time. What I'm starting with...
DSCN0211.jpg

The useable stuff is left and center(costume, Buck etc.);the junk is on the right.The GG piece even has a leather(ish) strap, as opposed to the molded on strap on the amazingly crappy Hasblo gun. About the only parts of the Hasbro body I can see using are the feet,if I can figure out a way to get some articulation into the ankles...
DSCN0210.jpg

The Gentle Giant Mini-bust; almost perfect 1/6 scale, and a beautiful sculpt. At this stage the gun is removed for molding...
DSCN0209.jpg
DSCN0208.jpg

The head. In the hit-or-miss world of GG, this is a home run. Note the "open"mouth;this will not be nearly as challenging as one might think...
DSCN0212.jpg

The gun, set up for molding. The orange spot is wax,filling the spot were the gun is attached to the right hand. As I intend to restore the sculpt to it's original condition, I didn't want to fill this permanently. Once molding is complete I'll pop out the wax and it'll be like it was never there.
DSCN0207.jpg

What Bossk does to relax. The arms are perfectly positioned to allow for this particular bit of silliness.
This afternoon I "dis-armed" the sculpt with a jeweler's saw, cutting at the cuffs, which have a very convenient groove bisecting them. Time to play with clay!...PS

This is going to be cool. Thanks for the WIP pictures, I think I may do the same bash once I see how yours turns out.

Wax, what kind of clay are you using for the mold? Where will you be pouring the casting resin? I could only make out the vents.

I'm using Plasticene, what we called"clean-clay" in the model shop.
My pour spout is the thick vent between the sights. By using a syringe I should be able to get decent casts. Of course, I only need 1 good one, but if the mold will co-operate, I'm sure there are others who might like a copy of the gun. The original prop was a real riot gun(tear gas) with a couple of extra sights and a fitting in the barrel. As I said, I should think there'd be some interest...PS

In other news, the arms are set up and the first half of the right has been poured. Unfortunately, this has exhausted my supply of rubber, so this project grinds to a halt 'til I can order more...

Would love to see pics.... I really want to get into casting. I have started and I am over the moon with the results using resin plaster! But I need to find a cheaper way to make moulds as the stuff I am using is V expensive.

I use Alumilite products. I like the results I get, and the price isn't TOO bad...PS

exciting max murderer... looking forward to your updates... and yes, people would be interested on the gun...

come on, we want more?

what do you mean, "we want more?" ??? is that a question? If so, then you are correct, we do want more. If not... then learn to speak English next time before you come to America! Oh... wait... :lol

I second monkeybat's inquisitive statement.

I'm using Plasticene, what we called"clean-clay" in the model shop.
My pour spout is the thick vent between the sights. By using a syringe I should be able to get decent casts. Of course, I only need 1 good one, but if the mold will co-operate, I'm sure there are others who might like a copy of the gun. The original prop was a real riot gun(tear gas) with a couple of extra sights and a fitting in the barrel. As I said, I should think there'd be some interest...PS

In other news, the arms are set up and the first half of the right has been poured. Unfortunately, this has exhausted my supply of rubber, so this project grinds to a halt 'til I can order more...

A syringe! of course. Why didn't I think of that? I love the freaks forum, every bit of knowledge you ever need in one rambling disjointed place... now where'd I leave me works...?

We used syringes all the time when I was working in the pattern shop;it was the ONLY way we did castings, even with 1-piece molds.
I now have 2 molding kits on order, so when they arrive I'll be back in the thick of it. Patience, kids...PS

Back