Custom 1/6 Chewbacca real-fur.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder why an existing hasbro Chewie needs to be used? u'd think a better articulated bod would work but i guess maybe height is the issue.

I think it's due in part to various things like the eyes, mouth, nose, hands and feet which are exposed and used.

I've tried using an articulated body as a base ( the larger Hasbro Qui-Gon to be exact, from the Naboo 2 pack) but it just didn't come out right. It actually became too lanky and hippy looking. Additionally because of the extra posability the articulation points were very difficult to hide and not up to my standards. Think of it like when you paint a body at say a wrist joint. Usually the paint gets some rub off and the under color gets exposed. Same type of thing with the hair, you see the body underneath in certain poses and the hair does not fall correctly. I just was not happy with it I'm not gonna bother trying to make it again because I don't think anyone else would be happy with it.The Chewbacca I do now I try to slim him up as much as possible. I spend a good 60 minutes "shaving" down Chewie with a dremel as much as possible to slim him up. I will say too, he always looks better in person than in any of the pics.

THANKS!

I WISH! :monkey2
I have a 22 month old who sucks up all my time! That's why I STILL have yet to tweak the face and head of the figure. I swear I'll get to it sometime. It will have to be soon too since SS Han is coming up.

I've got a 20 month old that takes up all of MY time (and hence why my custom Chewie product has been on hold-- oh, roughly 20 months:chew). Maybe we should get them together for a play date and while they're trying to eat play-do we can get some Chewie customing done.:D

I love your custom Brinn... I think it might be my favorite yet. The fur has the right kind of nap to it. Excellent work :rock

...but I haven't seen one yet the truly looks like Chewbacca ...

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Gregschewieforpost.jpg

All of these customs are great, but each one either feels off in how the hair is, or the mass of the body, some cases both. To me, Chewbacca's body mass should be like this, Hasbro got it nailed on this little figure.

votc04chewbaccafront.jpg

This custom has the best match to Chewie's hair I've seen on any of them, nice job Brinn.

hanchewiecustom.jpg

For a mass produced item, something molded is probably the only way to consistently get the look of the hair right, GG's proved it.

GGSchewie02.jpg

you're right Maul but I'll take an imperfect real fur chewie over a sculpted one...at least in the 1/6 scale. of course I'd buy the sculpted one too if it's SS. hopefully the customs will gradually improve to get it exactly right. i agree the issues are the fur texture and the chewie body being used.

I've got a 20 month old that takes up all of MY time (and hence why my custom Chewie product has been on hold-- oh, roughly 20 months:chew). Maybe we should get them together for a play date and while they're trying to eat play-do we can get some Chewie customing done.:D

Yeah, it would work, until we heard: Ka-THUMP! "WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" Then the concentration goes out the window and yet another interruption takes place! :lol i swear its the best eater of time though! :D

I love your custom Brinn... I think it might be my favorite yet. The fur has the right kind of nap to it. Excellent work :rock

THANKS! That's why I used Hasbro Chewie's fur. I think it looks the best for him.

All of these customs are great, but each one either feels off in how the hair is, or the mass of the body, some cases both. To me, Chewbacca's body mass should be like this, Hasbro got it nailed on this little figure.

votc04chewbaccafront.jpg

This custom has the best match to Chewie's hair I've seen on any of them, nice job Brinn.

I agree, and thanks! I need to define Chewie's chin better, and overall get the head looking more like ANH Chewie, which was what I was going for. I was REAL tempted to do end of Empire/Jedi Chewie, with the hair in his eyes, but I was going to try and do another later. This was all YEARS ago, mind you, so now I'm just lazy and busy and waiting on SS to do it for me! :D

I also want to stuff his gut just a wee bit more, to give him the Chewie ponch he needs to have for the overall shape.

Like was already said, I'd take an imperfect furry chewie over a perfect sculpted one. And of course if Sideshow ends up going with sculpted then I'll buy it, just give us the Wookiee already!

I've tried using an articulated body as a base ( the larger Hasbro Qui-Gon to be exact, from the Naboo 2 pack) but it just didn't come out right. It actually became too lanky and hippy looking. Additionally because of the extra posability the articulation points were very difficult to hide and not up to my standards. Think of it like when you paint a body at say a wrist joint. Usually the paint gets some rub off and the under color gets exposed. Same type of thing with the hair, you see the body underneath in certain poses and the hair does not fall correctly. I just was not happy with it I'm not gonna bother trying to make it again because I don't think anyone else would be happy with it.The Chewbacca I do now I try to slim him up as much as possible. I spend a good 60 minutes "shaving" down Chewie with a dremel as much as possible to slim him up. I will say too, he always looks better in person than in any of the pics.

ah i see. thanks for the info. makes sense. i'm unfamiliar w/ the Hasbro bod, so just where are the articulations on ur customs? shoulders, hips, ect?

Yeah, it would work, until we heard: Ka-THUMP! "WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" Then the concentration goes out the window and yet another interruption takes place! :lol i swear its the best eater of time though! :D

:chew All this wookie talk is getting me thinking about my sooooooooooooooo unfinished KANAMIT into Chewie project--- I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon (March Break for me :D) during naptime.

I hope Dave doesn't unleash the hounds when I ressurrect that ol' thread in the customizing section.:monkey3

Here's mine. I STILL have to re-work the head, but I think the body works. I used a kitbashed body containing a Hasbro body, which I added a sound chip into so Chewie talks, the rubber hasbro legs I stripped so they were nice and skinny and poseable. The arms and head are cotswold GI Joe style.

hanchewiecustom.jpg

Han&ChewieDeathstar.jpg

I surrounded him in Habro Chewie fur, and that's it.
After I fix his head, I also have to take new pics with SS Han once he hits.

looks sweet man im working on one with the same hair mine almost looks so real it`s scary i have been working on the head first i have the fur suit just waiting on the james bond jaws figure from sideshow toys that i won on ebay cant wait to try to put him together i hope he turns out right im picky i want him to look just like peter did in the outfit picky

Back