Custom 1/6 'A New Hope' Han Solo *WIP*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sign up for the newsletter by filling out the form on the front page at cinemascale.com

I also think the hair looks weird. That's a mighty wave riding high in the front and that part seems to be very deep. Just some constructive criticism.

Looking great! I'm definitely in for that clothing set :) I think the main issue with the head is that it looks very orthographic in some shots giving it that wide faced, tall hair look. The other shots of the wip headsculpt have less focal length.

But, it's really hard to tell if that's due to the sculpt or the pics. Before suggesting that Denny changes things, it might be a good idea to make sure we really know what the sculpt looks like.

We need a well lit close up frontal view of the sculpt to get a better feel for the sculpt and also for some possible photoshopping to be done.

By well lit I'm assuming you mean flatly lit? Because all of my images are ALWAYS well lit. There's a very healthy spectrum of light and shadow in all of my images. I promise you that my photography is not designed to HIDE or ALTER anything. What you see is what you get. I remember a lot of conjecture regarding the Brad Pitt Tyler Durden sculpt that mimicked this reaction… people claiming that the photos were not indicative of the sculpt. The fact is the difference between your perception of a WIP sculpt (in gray scale wax) and a finished painted (with eyes) version of the same sculpt has ALOT more to do with the painting and casting than it does with the lighting conditions.

Shadows offer dimensionality and therefore a better representation of a 3 dimensional sculpt/shape. Our eyes work on depth perception. Its the ONLY way to convey depth in an otherwise flat medium.

Additionally, the addition of pupils and eyes and shadowing resulting from paintwork can greatly alter the look of a sculpt.

And finally, the sculptor usually takes 2 or 3 shots of the WIP at most. Certainly not from every conceivable angle and lighting condition. Couldn't the argument be made that the sculptor… who's primary concern is likeness… is filtering the photos and choosing the ones the BEST look like his intended subject? With less regard for accuracy than myself for instance who's goal is to represent what comes in the box? Im not interested in false advertising. :)

PS. The above is NOT intended as antagonistic. Just bringing up some finer points to everyone's attention.

Last edited:
Something like this from the front would be good

SpaceSmuggler10_zps63a6b4e4.jpg

I hear what you're saying Omar, but I think the Brad Pitt criticism was a valid one, and holds just as strongly here. Because of the heavy use of shadows, you do get a nice, moody impression for how the sculpts would look in a nice, moodily lit environment. But that's not every display environment. And even if the sculpt is good (and the Tyler one is), you can't know that if one of the eyes is always in the shadows, or only out of the shadows in one or two pics taken from side angles (in one of the Pitt pics, one eye actually looked bigger than the other one because, apparently, of a trick of the light due to the use of shadows). A few pics in flat lighting--no nonsense, utilitarian pics of the sculpt from all angles for example--would be a welcome supplement to the nice pics you otherwise provide IMO. If you don't want to do that, then that's your prerogative, but it does affect my interest and willingness to buy something. And it doesn't hurt anything. You wouldn't even need to post them on your website, if you didn't want to detract from the moodier pics there. You could just post them on the forum.

Something like this from the front would be good

SpaceSmuggler10_zps63a6b4e4.jpg
Even there though, taking the shadows away would be preferable.

I'm a filmmaker myself and I have to agree with Wake on his point about the photos, he did a really good job on those. What I guess people mean is that they just want to see a more typical 3 light product shot setup (key, fill, backlight) to judge the figure.

Regarding the figure itsel I'm totally interested and willing to buy if it has the right price. Although the neck and chest and if possible forearms / hands should be painted to match the tone of the face. Because if not it looks like Han went to a tanning salon and just got splashed in the face. Also I think that what robbiethepainter said is totally true the face sculpt should be a little bit "longer", because the jawline right now is too square.

But in every regard your figure is absolutely awesome! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! The sculpt will be modified, so I think it will be an all around home run in the end.

Although the neck and chest and if possible forearms / hands should be painted to match the tone of the face. Because if not it looks like Han went to a tanning salon and just got splashed in the face.

The chest will definitely be painted to better match the sculpt, but I think the Mandarin arms that Wake is using match the sculpt skin tone quite well, so they seem to be a good option for displaying with the sleeves bunched up. The sleeves are long enough to cover the entire forearm, however, if rolled down.

I'm a filmmaker myself and I have to agree with Wake on his point about the photos, he did a really good job on those. What I guess people mean is that they just want to see a more typical 3 light product shot setup (key, fill, backlight) to judge the figure.

Regarding the figure itsel I'm totally interested and willing to buy if it has the right price. Although the neck and chest and if possible forearms / hands should be painted to match the tone of the face. Because if not it looks like Han went to a tanning salon and just got splashed in the face. Also I think that what robbiethepainter said is totally true the face sculpt should be a little bit "longer", because the jawline right now is too square.

But in every regard your figure is absolutely awesome! Keep up the good work!

Cool would we know any of your work?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! The sculpt will be modified, so I think it will be an all around home run in the end.

The chest will definitely be painted to better match the sculpt, but I think the Mandarin arms that Wake is using match the sculpt skin tone quite well, so they seem to be a good option for displaying with the sleeves bunched up. The sleeves are long enough to cover the entire forearm, however, if rolled down.

Awesome definitely buying then! BTW do the pants have Han Solos corellian blood stripe along the side? Because I cant see it in the picture.

BTW do the pants have Han Solos corellian blood stripe along the side? Because I cant see it in the picture.

They do indeed! You can see them in a few pics if you look very closely. I also want to point out that the pants will have some additional room added to the waist, so there isn't so much of a V-taper from the torso to waist. This will leave some room for possibly padding the stomach area, and make the proportions a bit more natural overall.

Cool would we know any of your work?

Probably not because all I've done till now has been latin cinema since I'm from Costa Rica although my recent project titled "Espejismo" or "Reverie" in english I do plan to show in this years New York International Film Festival this September so if that happens I'll let you know ;)

Back