Action Figure Cursed Jack Sparrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more progress today...
First off the tops of the arms. The ball parts of the shoulder and how they are inserted into the head of the humerus (top arm bone). Sand down one ball off each joint until there is a long lug left. That then gets glued in behind the front plate from the model kit. Then a thin bit if miliput to fill any gaps and give some stability.
At the elbow joints I am using TT wrist joints. Unfortunately these are pink, and painting over will be no good... it will just rub off when articulated.
The long lug goes in to a groove I dremmelled into the back of the humerus, and the ball fits nicely into a widened area between the left and right side of the radius and ulnar head (bottom of the humerus).
Dizzy

Next the radius and ulna (forearm bones).
This is more tricky as I need a small socket at the elbow, and a larger socket at the wrist.
Cue the parts... a TT upper body, a pair of HT gloved hands, and the radius and ulna parts of the model kit.
Cut off the TT wrists at a height just long enough for the lugs of the wrist ball joints to fit into. Trim the forearms and drill shallow holes for the bones to fit into. Glue and miliput as usual.
Then the elbows. cut the gloves up so that all that is left is the socket and a bit of rubber around it. Drill two holes to fit the radius and ulna in their correct position for an elbow, then a generous layer of miliput. It is better to have a big blobby elbow, then sand and shape as much as possible without losing stability.
Once dried it is time for a fitting.
Dizzy

Some test poses to check the range of motion and that the joints will hold up.
Some of the parts are very fragile, so I am taking care to put pressure only near the joint being moved!
I am going to be trimming the lumpy elbow, and doing the paint layers over the next week or so, and will take some more progress shots when that is done.
That will leave the head to fit, and the clothes to tatter.
Dizzy

hats off! the body is perfect!
his head is cool, but the likeness isn`t there imho
jd has a round/squarish face :)

don`t get me wrong-its great work, but his skull is not prolonged as your sculpt :)
skullsandbones.jpg

I agree with your point about JDs face, but if you check the DVD the cursed Jack has a thinner face.

skulls are not floating inside a head, but pretty much the foundation of it and his jaw is still existing in the fx part
;-)

I do think I should add at that, that your sculpt's chin is unrealistically long, Dizzyarse. Not that it doesn't look awesome as is, but inaccuracies will be inaccuracies. It's coming along pretty well, especially the articulation in the body and everything, and I think the only real nitpick would be the face..

i second that
i think the skeleton is sooo cool made, the head would destroy the overall picture
he`s also too evil looking-sparrow is almost never evil looking ;-)

Hmm, you guys have given me a lot to think about.
I have another DX Jack face. Perhaps I can re do the face and this time have a hinged jaw.

Hmm, you guys have given me a lot to think about.
I have another DX Jack face. Perhaps I can re do the face and this time have a hinged jaw.

I think a hinged jaw would be too much, plus you need the sculpt to have skin membranes hanging from the top jaw to the bottom jaw... I do recommend maybe doing the headsculpt last? As you said, carve out the face of the DX Jack. Just our opinions, of course. I don't think the headsculpt ruins the piece though, as it is pretty cool looking as is.

Yeah, the jaw from the 1/6 skeleton is too wide... so I will be modifying the existing sculpted DX face in a few days. Just been painting the skeleton the last couple of days.
Dizzy

Back