Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Sideshow is charging sales tax now.

I was worried about this for Texas when I saw the note from the B&H CEO a few days ago. I had assumed most companies would have swapped over in October when the laws went into effect but it appears some waited till the new year. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn that sucks. So what about the orders we placed prior to them adding tax? Will they charge taxes for the final payment? I put into consideration with sites that charges taxes, it makes a big difference. I've got a handful of figures on flexpay.

Damn that sucks. So what about the orders we placed prior to them adding tax? Will they charge taxes for the final payment? I put into consideration with sites that charges taxes, it makes a big difference. I've got a handful of figures on flexpay.

Curious about this also. My guess is they will collect tax upon shipment. That?s what BBTS warned they were gonna do when they started to collect tax.

Sigh, one more thing that?s going to devalue reward points, add that to the crazy shipping prices. After Armored Thanos, I just have the exclusive version of BD 85 on order with SSC but then I?ll definitely go elsewhere like I have been.

Curious about this also. My guess is they will collect tax upon shipment. That?s what BBTS warned they were gonna do when they started to collect tax.

I'm gonna contact customer service next week, I'm very concerned on my current orders that were place.
Sigh, one more thing that?s going to devalue reward points, add that to the crazy shipping prices. After Armored Thanos, I just have the exclusive version of BD 85 on order with SSC but then I?ll definitely go elsewhere like I have been.

Yeah, same here. Shipping increased, promo code was a help somewhat, but I rarely received them.

I'm gonna contact customer service next week, I'm very concerned on my current orders that were place.

Let us know what they say, please. I only have one figure on PO with Sideshow, but now I?m concerned about them charging tax in Texas.

Let us know what they say, please. I only have one figure on PO with Sideshow, but now I?m concerned about them charging tax in Texas.

Will do, I checked my orders and the break down. No taxes added. I really hope sideshow honors what we purchased it for without the tax. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, California residents were the only ones getting charged tax correct?

Oh no! it?s the end of the road. The choices are very limited anywhere at this point [emoji17] taxes make a huge difference

I'm going to guess they add tax at the final payment, sorry to say. That's what other companies have done, IE: BBTS, Entertainment Earth...etc...I've had PO's with them that were made at least a year in advance. They notified me back in May(?) that tax would be calculated and added during the final payment. I luckily didn't have NRD's on any of them, and cancelled most. And the ones I did keep with them tax was added at the final order.
With Sideshow, I've always paid tax, since I'm in CA. Now that they've jacked shipping to $20 or more, I've started looking elsewhere for my 1/6 fix...although I've got a healthy amount of rewards saved up.

I'm going to guess they add tax at the final payment, sorry to say. That's what other companies have done, IE: BBTS, Entertainment Earth...etc...I've had PO's with them that were made at least a year in advance. They notified me back in May(?) that tax would be calculated and added during the final payment. I luckily didn't have NRD's on any of them, and cancelled most. And the ones I did keep with them tax was added at the final order.
With Sideshow, I've always paid tax, since I'm in CA. Now that they've jacked shipping to $20 or more, I've started looking elsewhere for my 1/6 fix...although I've got a healthy amount of rewards saved up.

That really sucks, bbts and entertainment are the other 2 I go besides ebay. Atleast they have better shipping rates or free shipping. Any other recommendations?

Since the 5th is a flexpay day. Hopefully someone can chime in to see if they get charged tax if it is their final payment

Last edited:
Will do, I checked my orders and the break down. No taxes added. I really hope sideshow honors what we purchased it for without the tax. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, California residents were the only ones getting charged tax correct?

Legally i don't think they can not charge the tax.

I think I remember reading somewhere that starting Jan of 2020 all internet sites would start charging sales tax (at least for my native NJ). So I had a feeling Sideshow would start immediately. One of the reasons I jumped on the HT 1/4 scale Vader figure in December when they had the special 1 day promo to get the free HT 1/4 scale Infinity Gauntlet (and I got a free $20 sideshow book thrown in the box too) was because they were still not charging sales tax. That would've been nearly another $40.

weird, my brother had ordered a figure from SSC on Thursday night, no sales tax, and then last night I was playing around just adding the same figure to the cart and sales tax did show up (we live in the same state)

I'm guessing any orders placed prior to the law taking effect (or prior to the deadline for charging tax) will be immune to state taxes. From what I'm seeing and others have said, that seems to be the case. I doubt that Sideshow wants to deal with all the customer ill-will if they were to retroactively charge taxes on previously placed orders. Wording in their Terms & Conditions may give them that leeway ("We will add applicable sales taxes and shipping fees as necessary."), but unless they have no option it wouldn't be in their best interest from a business standpoint.

weird, my brother had ordered a figure from SSC on Thursday night, no sales tax, and then last night I was playing around just adding the same figure to the cart and sales tax did show up (we live in the same state)

Well, this is Sideshow. If the target was to launch on 1/1, odds are they'd be a few days late. Plus 1/1 was a holiday, and the IT person tasked with enabling the code was probably still hung over on Thursday...

Just figured I’d add this real quick. Last year when big bad Toy store started charging tax they retroactively added tax to anybody’s pile of loot. I honestly have no idea how that was considered legal as they were already paid for items. I’m hoping they don’t charge tax for all the pre-orders I have but if they do I understand. Just stinks if they don’t as I was planning on ordering Thanos from endgame and now I have to pay $25 in tax And if I would’ve made the decision two days ago I wouldn’t have.

Just figured I?d add this real quick. Last year when big bad Toy store started charging tax they retroactively added tax to anybody?s pile of loot. I honestly have no idea how that was considered legal as they were already paid for items. I?m hoping they don?t charge tax for all the pre-orders I have but if they do I understand. Just stinks if they don?t as I was planning on ordering Thanos from endgame and now I have to pay $25 in tax And if I would?ve made the decision two days ago I wouldn?t have.

BBTS sent out an email warning folks to ship their Pile of Loot.

Reached out to SSC. Please pay attention to this! In regards to asking about the tax:

"Any order placed before January 3 will not be affected by this unless the shipping address is changed."

Back