Crowd of LOTR actors sue NL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tylerd said:
i don't see how actors in non-starring or even co-starring roles can even get revenue shares. isn't that reserved for the major players and director? unless new line was offering a very small percentage in lieu of salary.

I assume it has something to do with their likenesses being used without their permission.

pixletwin said:
I assume it has something to do with their likenesses being used without their permission.

I'm sure that they signed some sort of wordy, lengthy,contract that pretty much waived any rights to their likeness and the studio will wiggle their way way out of this one. Although they weren't major characters, they weren't background characters either. It's a sad state of affairs when a trilogy that made BILLIONS overall and MILLIONS for certain individuals, has no money for some of these actors. It's truly a shame.

From what I gather (just reading what everyone else has) it sounds possible that New Line MAY be practicing some "creative license" on their accounting if there truely are payouts not disclosed on the actor's contracts. But I am not on the actor's sides here. The fact that they think they deserve money to get their face on the figure of the character is one of many unnecessary things that drives up the cost of a figure. And that is a main reason I do not care if the action figures look like the actor that stood in for the character. We might as well be giving money to the mannequins at JC Penny.

Man, I just hope no issues with their likenesses arise. I gotta have Gil-galad and Haldir in the 1/6 line! Though at this rate it won't be until 2020 anyway. :rotfl

Captain Faramir said:
Man, I just hope no issues with their likenesses arise. I gotta have Gil-galad and Haldir in the 1/6 line! Though at this rate it won't be until 2020 anyway. :rotfl

It doesn't have to stop Sideshow from making those two. We will just get them without the likeness of the mannequins from the movie on them. I am all the way good with that.

Edit - Hell, half of the figures made BY ANYONE (except the individual customizers, apparently) don't bare more than a passing resemblance to the actors anyway. So we are effectively paying the royalty for almost no reason.

But Haldir is such a cool character! :monkey2 Oh well, both of them have Toy Biz figures so I doubt it'll be a problem. Plus maybe by the time Sideshow gets to them in 2042 they'll already be dead. :rolleyes:

Captain Faramir said:
But Haldir is such a cool character! :monkey2 Oh well, both of them have Toy Biz figures so I doubt it'll be a problem. Plus maybe by the time Sideshow gets to them in 2042 they'll already be dead. :rolleyes:

No doubt about how cool the characters are. And I want them both badly in the Sideshow 12" line. I just don't need the actors' faces on them. So, even though I do not know how the licenses work, if they can still make the character without the actors' likeness, I will be just as happy to have them without Craig Parker and Mark Ferguson's faces on them.

Some of them I don't really care about, but Haldir in particular I would hope to have in a similar likeness. Craig Parker really looked right with all the elven attire; it would be a shame if we got some generic face for such a well-designed character.

Captain Faramir said:
Some of them I don't really care about, but Haldir in particular I would hope to have in a similar likeness. Craig Parker really looked right with all the elven attire; it would be a shame if we got some generic face for such a well-designed character.

I can't argue with you there. That Haldir was pretty much perfect.

Actors at this level sign away every sort of likeness right when they make a studio movie. I'm sure the litigation is due to them having some sort of net profit participation. And no one EVER sees money from net profits, no matter how successful the film is.

Back