Crimson Cobra Commander Non-Attendee Edition Today 10AM PT!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was charged for mine two days ago, still no shipping notice yet, though. I really, really hope I am going to like him. I want to so bad. I know I like the headsculpt, I'm just hoping the workmanship on the suit is good. I already have a Truetype body to put him on, and leather boots to replace those SS stinkers. The price point really is too high. Sideshow is just not delivering Hot Toys level figures, but they are dancing dangerously close to a Hot Toys price. I think people would get much more satisfaction if these figures were below $100, maybe closer to $75.

I was charged for mine two days ago, still no shipping notice yet, though. I really, really hope I am going to like him. I want to so bad. I know I like the headsculpt, I'm just hoping the workmanship on the suit is good. I already have a Truetype body to put him on, and leather boots to replace those SS stinkers. The price point really is too high. Sideshow is just not delivering Hot Toys level figures, but they are dancing dangerously close to a Hot Toys price. I think people would get much more satisfaction if these figures were below $100, maybe closer to $75.

That is very true on the price factor and I wouldn't mind if they are giving the Hot Toys quality but otherwise it would be a great disappointment.

I was charged for mine two days ago, still no shipping notice yet, though.

From the notice from the processing department:

We will begin processing all Non-Attendee orders for the Comic-con Exclusive Crimson Cobra Commander 12-inch Figure collectible (item #26142SC) on July 6th. We ask that you have the funds available on your credit card by this date to ensure the successful processing and shipment of your order.

These items are anticipated to begin shipping from our warehouse on July 17, 2009.

So basically it processes before SDCC but doesn't ship until afterwards. EDIT: my bad, it still ships before the con but it's still to early to be expecting shipping notices.

While the boots suck, the body is fine. And SS isn't anwywhere near HT prices. Both versions of CC are $100 bucks while most of HT figures are $150 or more. Hell even Wolverine is $170 and he just comes with a extra set of hands.

While the boots suck, the body is fine. And SS isn't anwywhere near HT prices. Both versions of CC are $100 bucks while most of HT figures are $150 or more. Hell even Wolverine is $170 and he just comes with a extra set of hands.

:lecture :lecture :lecture Comparing what they get to the price they pay wouldn't justify the other, more expensive purchases. It really is comparing apples to oranges, but it's impossible to explain to people that can barely say "fruit." :lol

:lecture :lecture :lecture Comparing what they get to the price they pay wouldn't justify the other, more expensive purchases. It really is comparing apples to oranges, but it's impossible to explain to people that can barely say "fruit." :lol

I certainly hope you are not referring to me. it's no crime to be discerning.
For my dollar, anything over $100 had better be damn good. I'd rather have 2 perfect $150 figures than 10 halfass $95 figures. I guess I just have higher standards.

I certainly hope you are not referring to me. it's no crime to be discerning.
For my dollar, anything over $100 had better be damn good. I'd rather have 2 perfect $150 figures than 10 halfass $95 figures. I guess I just have higher standards.

Actually, I am. Comparing a figure that's $90 to one that's say $150 or $170 is ludicrous. There's at minimum, a 60% increase in price which would justify the increase in quality. Additionally, I have yet to see a figure in this line that's "halfassed." As a matter of fact, comparing these figures with military figures I've received from HotToys, I'd say they're quite comparable and more than worth Sideshow's price tag. Perhaps you'd be better served reserving judgment until you actually own one.

Actually, I am. Comparing a figure that's $90 to one that's say $150 or $170 is ludicrous. There's at minimum, a 60% increase in price which would justify the increase in quality. Additionally, I have yet to see a figure in this line that's "halfassed." As a matter of fact, comparing these figures with military figures I've received from HotToys, I'd say they're quite comparable and more than worth Sideshow's price tag. Perhaps you'd be better served reserving judgment until you actually own one.

I've owned enough figures by Sideshow to know that the quality isn't half as good as Hot Toys. Almost every Sideshow figure I buy eventually gets sold off because there are too many corner cuts and cop-outs that just drive me nuts looking at them. If SS wants to charge big prices, they need to step up the quality and fast. Crimson Cobra Commander isn't $90, he is Darn near $120 shipped. The Godfather only cost $30 more shipped, the Apes by HT coming soon are not even that much more. SS prices have continued to creep up, but I don't see a corresponding rise in quality. I have owned enough items by both companies to know that the HT figures have far, far better workmanship, scaling, paint ops, base bodies, and especially tailoring. The only decent body SS has right now is that armor body. The Prometheus is a badly proportioned, floppy piece of crap.
I have owned quite a few of the SS Snake Eye's gear, and I find myself having to replace most of the webbing because it's crap. Hot Toy's webbing is immaculate. Look at every SS necktie, all the way up to the recent Toht- it's a folded over piece of fabric with thread wrapped around it, not even a real knot. I somehow don't think it's me here that can't tell the difference in quality.
As I said, I hope this CCC impresses me, really I do, because I want a Cobra Commander very much, but so much quality gets lost between proto and production on the Sideshow figures most of the time that my buying Sideshow 1:6 is a big gamble. It hurts a lot more for me to lay out $120 for a Sideshow figure knowing what a gamble it is, than for me to drop $160 on a Hot Toys figure, because I can be pretty sure the HT figure won't disappoint.
Makes me think back to that terribly crummy Yavin Luke from Comicon a few years ago. I sent it back it was so poorly made and innacurate. I want it to be clear I'm not knocking Sideshow's artists, either- most of the time the protos look great, and the headsculpts are gorgeous, but far too often they cheap out on materials and production.

I've owned enough figures by Sideshow to know that the quality isn't half as good as Hot Toys. Almost every Sideshow figure I buy eventually gets sold off because there are too many corner cuts and cop-outs that just drive me nuts looking at them. If SS wants to charge big prices, they need to step up the quality and fast. Crimson Cobra Commander isn't $90, he is Darn near $120 shipped. The Godfather only cost $30 more shipped, the Apes by HT coming soon are not even that much more. SS prices have continued to creep up, but I don't see a corresponding rise in quality. I have owned enough items by both companies to know that the HT figures have far, far better workmanship, scaling, paint ops, base bodies, and especially tailoring. The only decent body SS has right now is that armor body. The Prometheus is a badly proportioned, floppy piece of crap.
I have owned quite a few of the SS Snake Eye's gear, and I find myself having to replace most of the webbing because it's crap. Hot Toy's webbing is immaculate. Look at every SS necktie, all the way up to the recent Toht- it's a folded over piece of fabric with thread wrapped around it, not even a real knot. I somehow don't think it's me here that can't tell the difference in quality.
As I said, I hope this CCC impresses me, really I do, because I want a Cobra Commander very much, but so much quality gets lost between proto and production on the Sideshow figures most of the time that my buying Sideshow 1:6 is a big gamble. It hurts a lot more for me to lay out $120 for a Sideshow figure knowing what a gamble it is, than for me to drop $160 on a Hot Toys figure, because I can be pretty sure the HT figure won't disappoint.
Makes me think back to that terribly crummy Yavin Luke from Comicon a few years ago. I sent it back it was so poorly made and innacurate. I want it to be clear I'm not knocking Sideshow's artists, either- most of the time the protos look great, and the headsculpts are gorgeous, but far too often they cheap out on materials and production.

You still cant compare a CCC for 120.00, including shipping, and a Godfather for 150.00 plus, as you stated, the 30.00 shipping. That is a 60.00 difference. Plus if you are attendint the SDCC you get it for 108.00 :D

You still cant compare a CCC for 120.00, including shipping, and a Godfather for 150.00 plus, as you stated, the 30.00 shipping. That is a 60.00 difference. Plus if you are attendint the SDCC you get it for 108.00 :D

I didn't say it was $30 shipping. I said with shipping added, the Godfather cost $30 more total. In other words, a $30 difference total.
The fact remains, if Sideshow's prices are going to continue to creep up, the innovation and quality should be creeping up incrementally, too, which it does not seem to be doing. the single SS SDCC figures now cost about twice what they cost a couple years ago, but the quality is not twice as good. For the most part, the HT figures I have bought have felt like they were worth what I paid. I can't say the same for Sideshow.
I still hope to be pleasantly surprised by CCC, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At the very least I will have to move the head and clothes to a Truetype body. For $100, we should be getting a better body than the crummy Prometheus.

I didn't say it was $30 shipping. I said with shipping added, the Godfather cost $30 more total. In other words, a $30 difference total.
The fact remains, if Sideshow's prices are going to continue to creep up, the innovation and quality should be creeping up incrementally, too, which it does not seem to be doing. the single SS SDCC figures now cost about twice what they cost a couple years ago, but the quality is not twice as good. For the most part, the HT figures I have bought have felt like they were worth what I paid. I can't say the same for Sideshow.
I still hope to be pleasantly surprised by CCC, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At the very least I will have to move the head and clothes to a Truetype body. For $100, we should be getting a better body than the crummy Prometheus.

When did you pick up a Pro? You keep saying they have floppy joints, etc., which leads me to believe you haven't picked up any of the newer figures and are basing your opinion off of either the first release (Indy) or others posts. So not being able to say the same for Sideshow based on a figure that you bought a year ago, or other people's posts is laughable. Secondly, you think the Promethius is disproportionate but hail the TrueType with it's monkey forearms and ridiculously broad shoulders. I'm not going to look it up (hopefully he still has it) but Lerath posted a diagram of natural shoulders. Guess what? The TT failed.

Speaking of broad shoulders, if you picked up a TrueType for Cobra Commander, you're SOL. The unnaturally broad shoulders are too broad for the shirt to fit. CC's outfit is tailored for the Pro he comes on. I'm guessing CCC's is just a red variant of said outfit. The body CC came on is perfect and pretty much flawless proving Sideshow's ironed out most of the kinks. Might be best to take your hate over to a HotToys fanboy thread.

Disappointment does not equal hate. You assume an awful lot about what I have owned and seen. You're not as picky as I am, it's okay, you don't have to defend it like I attacked your family or something, we're discussing action figures. :lol

Back