Crimson Cobra Commander Non-Attendee Edition Today 10AM PT!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Crimson Cobra Commander coming to me, and as much as I like him, I'm not crazy about the silver Cobra logo on his mask.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can remove the silver logo without damaging the head sculpt/paint job?

Jose suggested I use light grain sandpaper and then completely repaint with acrylics.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

I have a Crimson Cobra Commander coming to me, and as much as I like him, I'm not crazy about the silver Cobra logo on his mask.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can remove the silver logo without damaging the head sculpt/paint job?

Jose suggested I use light grain sandpaper and then completely repaint with acrylics.

:nono:nono:nono:nono:nono

If the red is molded in color maybe you could wetsand with 3000 grit, but test in an inconspicuous area. By the way, if you are going to repaint with acrylics, why not just paint over it? Why bother removing it? The paint isn't that thick, is it?

If the red is molded in color maybe you could wetsand with 3000 grit, but test in an inconspicuous area. By the way, if you are going to repaint with acrylics, why not just paint over it? Why bother removing it? The paint isn't that thick, is it?

I honestly just don't know. I've never painted for modification before. My big worry would be that the silver Cobra logo would somehow stand out under the red paint.... But I guess I could always try it and if it doesn't work, sand it all off.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!

I would think that 3000 grit sandpaper would be safer than mineral spirits, paint thinner, lacquer thinner and especially acetone. It seems to me you can either remove paint with solvent or by abrading it, and solvent has a tendency to soften and discolor plastics and rubber, so I would prefer sanding in an unknown situation. Otherwise, it's just paint over it. One could also put something else over it like a vinyl wrap, but I don't know it would really apply here. One could also try to careful scrape off the paint with a razor blade, but that it super tricky as it is easy to gouge the plastic.

I would think that 3000 grit sandpaper would be safer than mineral spirits, paint thinner, lacquer thinner and especially acetone. It seems to me you can either remove paint with solvent or by abrading it, and solvent has a tendency to soften and discolor plastics and rubber, so I would prefer sanding in an unknown situation. Otherwise, it's just paint over it. One could also put something else over it like a vinyl wrap, but I don't know it would really apply here. One could also try to careful scrape off the paint with a razor blade, but that it super tricky as it is easy to gouge the plastic.

Thank you!!! :)

The discoloration is a non factor since you are going to paint over it. If you use 100% alcohol, it would not damage the plastic. Ski used it to remove the tattoos of the Whiplash body (or the Barney body) with out damaging it.

Big thanks to everyone who suggested ways to get the silver logo off of his mask! I'm MUCH happier with how he's turning out.

I used Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol (and a lotta elbow grease with Q-Tips) to remove the silver. I didn't want to risk damaging the paint app on the eyes, so I quit once I got close to them.

180736c3-da57-0ac3.jpg

180736c3-da62-b15f.jpg

180736c3-da70-4578.jpg

I'm in the painting process now, using Liquitex Professional Artist Color Acrylic: "Pyrrole Crimson". I'm using a brush to apply it, since any lines seem to just add definition and a "leathery-ness" to the mask. It's also a darker crimson color, as opposed to the strawberry color that was previously there.

The paint is still drying, but I really like how leathery and dark this seems to be coming out. I still may create a small Cobra decal to put on the forehead, but we'll see. The one on his chest should be enough.

Also not going to equip him with his sidearm or the left leg mille ammo pack. I feel this is a more regal, ceremonial outfit; and just needs his dagger. I may try to add some silver braiding as well, if I can find it in a good 1:6 size. Any suggestions?

First pic: the acrylic on the left, the original color on the right:

180736c3-dc04-973f.jpg

Finished first coat:

180736c3-dc3b-478d.jpg

180736c3-dc53-2837.jpg

Finished second coat:

180736c3-dc69-04b6.jpg

Back