Statue Cover Girls of the DC Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Rogue and BQ and think they are close enough to the artwork. The one that I don't think worked is the Mary Jane, that one just looks like a miss to me, mostly in the face. One thing I like to keep in mind also when it comes to statues being based off anyone's artwork. I look at them not as exact copies of the artwork in statue form but rather as an interpretation of the artwork in statue form. It really comes down to the sculptor that does the piece and their interpretation of it.

Mary Jane is a great piece (my personal favorite) it just doesn't match what the control showed it could have been. That is the thing, what could have been. Honestly the artprint as an exclusive is a great thing but when you see Adam's work, which we understand is after the fact AND that Adam works closely with his sculptors and signs off on his pieces, it just shows the miss. Black Cat for me was the biggest swing and a miss with the pieces kind of moving around center. I just don't have those feelings looking at the DCD pieces, I think they are fantastic and my only correction to them would be to make them bigger.

a little something Adam did when designing these, that I couldn't show you guys until now...

harleyivystatuessm.jpg

Adam designed them at the same time, so that they'd go well together as a set!

They're beautiful. :)

I didn't but thanks to you I went back and found it! :rock

I didn't think she should be missed. It would be all wrong.

The Mike said:
...Soranik Natu.

75040650247e870786747f.jpg

Yup. So far there are two basic sub-branches happening (Gotham/JLA-JSA). I don't think it would be a stretch to see a GL branch turn up.

That's a GREAT idea! maybe Adam could sell companion prints to these statues on his own behalf at his table. Allison, would these even be feasible?

In the past, DC's legal department has made it pretty clear to us that they are not pleased with Adam selling prints of DC's characters. So I couldn't really comment here about the subject.

I'd like to make a point of saying that Adam's prints for the Sideshow pieces aren't control art. You can't compare the statues, which we've approached as collaborative pieces and NOT simply reflections of Adam's drawings, unaltered, to the ones that DCD are producing. The DCD statues are not supposed to be anything other than 3-d versions of Adam's art. The Sideshow ones are more like Adam's women if they existed in the real world. There's more of a humanistic quality to them, and some of the comic book aspect from the original artwork is lost. And the prints are, almost without exception, completed AFTER the statues; so they never have been, and never could be "control" art.

Well "Control Art" is the term that has been used since the inception of the line amongst the boards whether it is a misnomer or not so I used it. Although it was noted that since Mary Jane its been pretty clear (where we saw the first real difference) that Adam's art comes after the fact but he does collaborate on the projects with the sculptors. Interesting that Sideshow's take is to have him create "real world" depictions but I'll say this, I prefer DCD's 3-D versions of Adam's art and even though a number of the Sideshow pieces are impressive especially the last two I wish that they had gone the DCD route.

They're beautiful. :)

I didn't think she should be missed. It would be all wrong.

Yup. So far there are two basic sub-branches happening (Gotham/JLA-JSA). I don't think it would be a stretch to see a GL branch turn up.

See Adam, Natu is getting some love! Please do one and I hope you do read this forum!

What's it doing then? I can't figure it out for the life of me. That's her ring finger on top of the stick, and her pinky wrapped around the back? Maybe it's just because I can't make my hand do that and I'm having trouble seeing it. :lol

I received my Catwoman today! FINALLY!! :woo

001-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

IMO...yes.

But you know what they say...$$$$$ talks! :D

I don't think that DCD expected this line to be so HOT. I'm sure that DCD will make the second run different in some way.

BTW... :welcome to the FREAKS Show! :wave

Congrats on the Great Score Snoop, She looks Real Fine with the other Ladies :naughty

...The Sideshow ones are more like Adam's women if they existed in the real world...

With all due respect, I'd put it the other way around. The AH! art looks, to my eyes anyway, more like women who could exist in the real world (other than the green and blue skin) and the comiquettes look more "artificial" (for lack of a better word).

With all due respect, I'd put it the other way around. The AH! art looks, to my eyes anyway, more like women who could exist in the real world (other than the green and blue skin) and the comiquettes look more "artificial" (for lack of a better word).

I don't think of any of these ladies existing in the real world, but now that it's been mentioned I can see that the SSC pieces are more realistic and less "comic booky". and as Allisohn has pointed out before, the faces on the DCD are a bit more generic which gives them more of a 2D feel, and perhaps are perceived as being closer to the 2D original art.

Love the art, but is Ivy's right hand backwards?

No, her hand is just in an akward position on the staff.

What's it doing then? I can't figure it out for the life of me. That's her ring finger on top of the stick, and her pinky wrapped around the back? Maybe it's just because I can't make my hand do that and I'm having trouble seeing it. :lol

Yup, that's what it looks like to me! :D :lol

Congrats on the Great Score Snoop, She looks Real Fine with the other Ladies :naughty

Thanks, Bro! :rock :rock :rock

I don't think of any of these ladies existing in the real world, but now that it's been mentioned I can see that the SSC pieces are more realistic and less "comic booky". and as Allisohn has pointed out before, the faces on the DCD are a bit more generic which gives them more of a 2D feel, and perhaps are perceived as being closer to the 2D original art.

I hear what you're saying Dave but how is this even remotely "realistic"

mj1d.jpg

I mean look at that waist!

Now look at DCD's Black Canary and you tell me which one is more "realistically" proportionate

0309dcdcanary.jpg

While I like all of these Cover Girls and would probably pick some up if I had the income, I have to say I prefer the SSC stuff. I think I get what Allison is saying. The DC girls tend to look a little, I don't know, "static" for lack of a better term. The SSC statues tend to have more character to me. They pop more.

a little something Adam did when designing these, that I couldn't show you guys until now...

harleyivystatuessm.jpg

Adam designed them at the same time, so that they'd go well together as a set!

they look great together... when they come and finally set up my statues they will be setup like that

Not to be crass, but consider the following example: the breasts on the SSC Black Cat comiquette look very much like "typical" implants, while the breasts on the AH! drawings look more like "real" breasts. Of course both could exist in the real world, but the drawing looks more "real."

I hear what you're saying Dave but how is this even remotely "realistic"

mj1d.jpg

I mean look at that waist!

Waists aside, take a look at the face. In the AH! drawing, the eyes are looking back, half closed and there's a slight smile that all works together to show one expression that I would say is very AH!-esque, while the face on the comiquette has eyes and a smile that are much different giving much different expression which is not AH!-like at all.

03232007020017ck9.jpg

That's just one example of how the SSC comiquettes fail to capture the essence of AH!'s art. Over on his forum John Byrne described AH!'s art while talking about Bishoujo:

Bishoujo manages to do what the Adam Hughes drawings and sculpts so often pull off with great success -- making the characters voluptuous and erotic and yet somehow cute and not salacious. It's a fine line, and all too often (and deliberately it seems) crossed.

Source.

That's about as good a description as I've read. And with regards to that, the DCD work captures that much more effectively than do the SSC pieces. In my opinion anyway. :)

Image borrowed from this thread.

Back