Cost of Xbox Live subscription increase starting Nov. 1, 2010

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like an opinion of an xbox fanboy.

Not at all. I own both consoles and find that each one has its strengths and weaknesses. But there's no denying that the Xbox Live service is more user-friendly, versatile and realiable service than the PSN.

I can chat with a buddy while I'm watching a DVD on my system and he's playing a game on his. Friends can also join in the same chat, and we can each be doing our own thing at our ends. I can access incoming messages without having to go back to the XMB, then hit "messages", then "recieved", and so on, even if I'm in the middle of a game. In-game chat, and match-making services are also much more streamlined and reliable on XBL.

This isn't a rant against the PS3. I'd be hard-pressed to identify a game series that totally captured my attention like the Uncharted games, or even God of War III. Then there's Playstation Home, which obviously isn't for everyone, but I find compelling enough to continue spending money on virtual items for my personal spaces. Heck, the blu-ray player alone is worth the price of admission. In comparison, my Xbox's HD-DVD player is collecting a nice layer of dust as we speak.

But there's no denying that the Xbox Live service is more user-friendly, versatile and realiable service than the PSN.

I can chat with a buddy while I'm watching a DVD on my system and he's playing a game on his. Friends can also join in the same chat, and we can each be doing our own thing at our ends. I can access incoming messages without having to go back to the XMB, then hit "messages", then "recieved", and so on, even if I'm in the middle of a game. In-game chat, and match-making services are also much more streamlined and reliable on XBL.

I'm familiar with LIVE and PSN services and I receive the same "reliability" on PSN as I do on LIVE.

I certainly don't. It also takes forever and a day to update the system and download content on the PS3.

:dunno I timed the last update because I got tired of hearing this. It took just under 5 minutes. If that's too much time I don't know what to say. Should it be faster? Yes. Can you start the update and go pee/poop/make a sandwich?? Yes.

:dunno I timed the last update because I got tired of hearing this. It took just under 5 minutes. If that's too much time I don't know what to say. Should it be faster? Yes. Can you start the update and go pee/poop/make a sandwich?? Yes.

Guess it depends on the update. I have had it take over 20 minutes before. However, whether it takes 5 or 20 Live is by far superior. It takes what 30 seconds? Can't beat that. When I start my system I want to play. Not do other things while I wait.

I've had it take longer than that on the 360. Can't you have it update when the system is shut off?

How can you have a system update while its shut off?:dunno

Either one Sony has a backdoor to turn on your system or its no shut down and still activity connecting to Sony to check for updates. I know it wont for me work I turn off the switch when I am done, since the remote/controller is so DAMMMM sensitive if you touch it the PS3 turns on.

^^It's in standby mode downloading the update then it completely powers down when it's finished.
Then how does it do the next update if I have not powered it back on or are you talking about the shutdown after update option?

Does anyone know if they are sold at Sam's?? I never venture over to the video game section when I'm there.

Dell.com often has these for a nice discount as well.

When the 1-years were MSRP $50, I picked up one of those and a 4000 (I forget if that's the exact amount) point card for about $32 each.

There's better deals out there. I got my last card for $35 for a year. I need to try and stock up on some before the price hike. I'm definitely not paying more than than $40.

Not sure but there was also a deal on XBOX live for 2 years (starting when your current expires and charges at that point) and 1600 points for $90 (I think it was$90)

I just did this. It was $84 for 2 years. At least that is what was charged to me.

Dammit, I forgot to buy a few when they were on sale @ $39.99 after the price hike announcement. :banghead

Back