Premium Format Conan the Barbarian: Rage of the Undying PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to pick any of the original novels to make into movies:

Beyond the Black River
Red nails
Hour of the Dragon

Hey guys... is there a Conan omnibus or something I can start reading to learn more about Conan and this statue?

Del Ray released a really good three part collection of all the Conan stories and it is ordered by when they were written, which I think is the best order to read them by.

Hey guys... is there a Conan omnibus or something I can start reading to learn more about Conan and this statue?

I am glad you asked! Get this book - you will be totally hooked on the awesomeness that is Conan:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0345461517/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1374789102&sr=1-1&pi=SL75[/ame]

Cheers!

Ugh - the link did not work! The name of the conan book you must get is "The coming of Conan the Cimmerian: the original adventures of the greatest sword and sorcery hero of all time"

By Del Rey

Del Ray released a really good three part collection of all the Conan stories and it is ordered by when they were written, which I think is the best order to read them by.

This is the correct answer. Get the Del Ray 3 book set.

Read them in the order they are written. You see the progression in Howard's writing ability and style that way and actually see the character and philosophies behind him develop.

Other collections tend to put them in chronological age order of Conan which is okay ... but this way is better.

Also contains a ton of great info on Conan and Howard in the form of essays & novel fragments, plus full page painted pictures (B&W only in the paperback version but still great)

Kindle versions are available if you want them quick and cheap.
But the paperbacks are cheap enough and are the only Conan collections you'll ever need.

V1: The Coming of Conan
V2: The Bloody Crown of Conan
v3: The Conquering Sword of Conan

They also collected other Howard characters. Its sweet having everything in the same

Go forth, by Crom !

Last edited:

Read them in the order they are written. You see the progression in Howard's writing ability and style that way and actually see the character and philosophies behind him develop.

Other collections tend to put them in chronological age order of Conan which is okay ... but this way is better.

Also contains a ton of great info on Conan and Howard in the form of essays & novel fragments, plus full page painted pictures (B&W only in the paperback version but still great)

But the paperbacks are cheap enough and are the only Conan collections you'll ever need.

Go forth, by Crom !

I agree these are the books to get. I also HIGHLY recommend the audio version of these three books with fantastic narration by Todd McLaren. They went to great pains to ensure all people and places are pronounced correctly.

I believe if you sign up for Audible you get a free download (just pick the first book and enjoy!).

They also collected other Howard characters. Its sweet having everything in the same

Go forth, by Crom !

So do you think Del Rey is better than [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Conan-Barbarian-Original-Unabridged-Adventures/dp/1853756997/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF"]the Prion edition[/ame]?

So do you think Del Rey is better than the Prion edition?

Personally I like the Del Rey editions much better but maybe that's personal preference.

If your read the only review of the link you gave, there appears to be some bizarre issues with edition types with this book, with 2 versions using the same cover having differing content.
There also seems to be some confusion whether even the longer version includes the only Howard/Conan novel - The Hour of the Dragon (despite saying it does in the description, doesn't appear to be the case)

I don't believe any version of the Prion edition has the ton of extras (fragments, Howard bio, etc...) that comes in the Del Rey editions ....

But all Conan is good Conan so.... :D

So do you think Del Rey is better than the Prion edition?

The nice thing about the Del Rey editions are...

- 100% Complete Conan (including all poems, story fragments and outlines).

- it's unaltered. REH had many editorial changes made to his works during his publishing history.

- the story's are presented in the order he wrote them with no effort to create a chronological Conan which was not REH's intent.

The nice thing about the Del Rey editions are...

- 100% Complete Conan (including all poems, story fragments and outlines).

- it's unaltered. REH had many editorial changes made to his works during his publishing history.

- the story's are presented in the order he wrote them with no effort to create a chronological Conan which was not REH's intent.

The prion edition is also unaltered, unabridged however it does not contain everything like you said. not sure about the order of the stories though.

......a removable armor chest plate with leather straps would have been a nice feature to give a different look at times ....maybe I'll see if we can get a customizer to do a run... :)

:lecture :exactly:

conan31_lg.jpg

I'm a little intimidated with the price, not sure if it's justified. Also, based on the pics, it's not even my favorite Conan statue. That can change, in my experience most times the pics didn't do justice to the figures.

The exclusive version has the atlantean sword, right?

I'm a little intimidated with the price, not sure if it's justified. Also, based on the pics, it's not even my favorite Conan statue. That can change, in my experience most times the pics didn't do justice to the figures.

The exclusive version has the atlantean sword, right?

Dislikes the Conan statue yet uses it as a avatar pic...

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here actually seen this Conan statue with their own eyes at the SDCC this year? The pictures look really misleading. Some look terrible and some look great. I was wondering if someone can provide insight on what they think of this statue based on what they saw at SDCC. Cheers.

Dislikes the Conan statue yet uses it as a avatar pic...

Dislike? I just said that I like The Prize and Fury of the Beast more than this one. I wouldn't spend 500 bucks on a statue I dislike, would you?

Pre-order placed ! ....I don't think there is any rush but I wanted to lock it in and stop thinking about it :D

I think the price is a fair bit too high but I don't buy a lot ...in fact I'm whittling down my collection to 3-4 large pieces only.
...and want this to be one of those pieces.

But on the pro side:
- Base is amazing
- Love the pose and detailed muscle structure
- Love the choice of weapons
- Love the overall size. This thing is going to tower over everything!
- Facially its how I've always pictured Conan, more so than any other piece so far produced
- Love the choice of clothes. Conan of the novels wore whatever was around and never had a 'standard' look.

As a huge long time Howard fan, if Sideshow left it to me to design, this is pretty much exactly what I'd come up with as my ultimate 1/4 Conan piece.

Crom!, I wonder how long it will be delayed :)

Back