Comic Con MARVEL Predictions ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to a Sideshow rep more XMEN are on the horizon with Wolverine being a definite PF

I'm still hoping for a Byrne inspired X-MEN line of PFs some day. It'd be beyond awesome to see the X-MEN I grew up reading as PFs.

The Jean Grey PF has been pushed back to July around the time of Comic Con. Maybe she'llbe displayed with other mutants at this years con

Well we are slowly approaching Comic Con and it is the quiet before the storm -- very little Marvel products have been unveiled or sneeked this year unlike last.

What we know for sure on the Marvel front is that Marvel reaquired Spiderman merchandise and film license. We can expect to see Age of Ultron and SpiderMan products in full swing.

This leads to the question

What are your predictions / wishlist for Marvel related unveils at the Sideshow SDCC 2015 booth?

I am an avid XMENfan so I hope for more products from that series (especially since XMEN has been MIA from the roster the past couple years. With the new Apocalypse movie coming out i hope we finally see:

-brown suit Wolverine
-90s Storm
-Archangel
-Nightcrawler
-Magneto
-Juggernaut

My other wishlist includes

-AntMan & Wasp
-Thanos
-Luke Cage (modern swap out portrait & heroes for hire power man portrait)
-New Spiderman
-New Kingpin PF
-Quicksilver (4 good measure)

Marvel did not require any rights related to spiderman actually. The never gave up merchandise rights. And they still don't have the film rights.

The agreed with Sony to creative consulting in exchange for borrowing the character in some films. Sony still has full film rights.

Actually marvel does assume some of the rights to toys and licensing prior to the deal with sony 50% of all Spiderman merchandise was prorated. After the deal with Marvel--it's probably a lot more favorable now... Otherwise they wouldnt pop Spiderman into the new Avengers movie. Its no coincidence ever since Punisher Ghost Rider and Daredevil reverted back to Marvel that there is a whole slew of comic toy merchandise on the shelves at toy stores. Daredevil is getting his own line of action figures.

Spiderman legends series is now in full swing no pun intended

Last edited:
They always had all the comic merch rights. On every property. That has never been sold. The only thing Sony or fox or universal could have any claim to is items tied directly to the films they produce. All other merchandise rights have always been and continues to be the sole ownership of marvel comics. The merch rights relating to the films are all unique to each property. But they all have some type of shared profit arrangement with marvel studios.

If marvel did not retain the merch rights to characters there would be no spiderman comics. Comics, legally speaking, are merchandise. Its why the toys in the toy isle that have spiderman or wolverine in comic look have always been there. Outside of exact likeness of a movie design marvel can make any type of merchandise for all of its characters.

It's why the marvel legends line has had spiderman and wolverine in it since 2011. It's why the 3 and 3/4 marvel universe line has xmen and spiderman and fantastic four in it for years. It's why toys r us has twenty comic wolverine toys or items.

Marvel has never lost its merchandise rights. On any property. It's got a partnership agreement with Sony and fox in regards to merchandise for the movies they make. Outside of direct movie tie in marvel owns the rights free and clear.

Last edited:
U are wrong on both accounts. Marvel always received royalties whether it was film or comic merchandise. The cut wasnt worth as much to them compared to the properties they retained full ownership of. Secondly any toy retailer will tell you movie merchandise never sells as well as comic. Most comic merchandise revolves around the cinematic releases ( look at Sideshow Gentle Giant Hasbro etc)

This passage summarizes why there seems to be a boycott of XMEN products. Or at least why the best selling comic series from Marvel is treated with disdain

If Sony and Marvel can work together, people might have hope that Marvel and Fox could reach a similar agreement. However, the dynamic between Fox and Marvel is very different to Marvel's relationship with Sony. Rumours attribute this, largely, to a renegotiation of the merchandising rights to Spider-Man which gave Marvel a little more interest and control in how they were deployed, whereas Fox has remained firmly against any renegotiation, hence the lack of X-Men merchandise over the last few movies. Marvel won't authorise any until it gets a bigger cut of the profits, and Fox won't agree to that.

Read more: Spider-Man, Marvel, Sony, and what it all means | Den of Geek

Xmen still sell more comics than any other Marvel brand yet theres hardly any merchandise at the disney store or other toy retailers. Not a coincidence

First, that is strictly MOVIE merchandise. Second, he states rumors and speculation as source. Third, that's not the case. The lack of merchandise from the movies is becuase fox gets next to no cut and they have opted not to retain actor likeness agreements in their contracts. So any company wanting to make product with actor faces has to negotiate with marvel, fox, and the individual actor.

And again...this is all MOVIE only. Right now there are fifty items for x-men listed on the toys r us website for sale. Hundreds on Walmart. Millions world wide. It's just comic related not movie.

And yes, marvel recieves license fees for product. Stuff it does not make in house. That's the same for every company on the planet. They get "royalties" as you call them (which is not actually what they are for merchandise it's licensing) for avengers stuff and xmen and everything else. Marvel makes comics in house. The rest is mostly licensed product.

They own all merchandise rights (intellectual property) for every character they ever created. They leased out film and related merchandising to a few studios, but only for film tie in items. And marvel still gets a cut of that.

So for xmen, ff, spiderman, and a few others the film rights are not marvels to control. They have partners essentially. But for those same characters they still own completly merchandise rights for them based on anything not in the FILMS.

Lots of product out there. All licensed solely thru marvel. Fox has zero control. There's thousands of other products as well.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

First, that is strictly MOVIE merchandise. Second, he states rumors and speculation as source. Third, that's not the case. The lack of merchandise from the movies is becuase fox gets next to no cut and they have opted not to retain actor likeness agreements in their contracts. So any company wanting to make product with actor faces has to negotiate with marvel, fox, and the individual actor.

And again...this is all MOVIE only. Right now there are fifty items for x-men listed on the toys r us website for sale. Hundreds on Walmart. Millions world wide. It's just comic related not movie.

U stated that Marvel did not acquire film merchandise after the SONY deal. I have no idea what your point is because clearly they have retained some control and ur point is ambiguous as it was when u first responded. Sony and Fox respectively had licensing control over their properties. Marvel got a cut of it -- never enough. Why do u think they brought a relatively obscure title like Guardians of the Galaxy to the forefront? Because unlike Spiderman Fantastic Four Blade Punisher Xmen Daredevil Ghost Rider and at one point Hulk-- Marvel did not retain full ownership of merchandising. Btw toys at toys r us is only a small fraction of the products distributed. Licensing for Video games is a whole other division that was dispersed.

These deals were cut when Marvel was on the brink of bankruptcy

And btw i think u are seriously mistaken to assime that there are hundreds of xmen products at toy shelfs because all i see is avengers as common sense would dictate.

There are and were no merchandise at toy retailers for the last 3 xmen movies. I dont know what u are smoking. Like i said during film release toy companies typically get the approval of Marvel to distribute comic merchandise. Theres a correlation between comic and movie merchandise this not a newsflash.

Why do u think XM studios got the thumbs down to complete the sentinel series and the Cable statue? The approval comes from Marvel. This has already been discussed in several articles. U are missing the whole point.

Last edited:
Also to further prove my point

Xmen for instance was the number one selling comic book series prior to Guardians of the Galaxy

After the success of that film there were several tie ins to the x universe from the likes of avengers and inhumans ( titles that werent historically selling as well) the conclusion could be made that this was done to promote their film properties at the expense of others that they dont receive as much creative control.

Fox did an outstanding job with the last xmen movie and i can list all the products that were nixed by marvel that shouldve went to promoting that series

Sony played nice with Marvel otherwise eventually they wouldve had to hand over the license due to a breach. The terms between Sony and Marvel in regards to solely merchandising has always been more favorable thats why theres a lways a **** load of Spiderman products at the disney store.

Ive yet to see anything xmen related there... That Marvel Select movie Mystique figure was the only figure in that lineup to be cut let alone the comic properties

Last edited:
Ps- Oscar Isaacs performance in A Most Violent Year was stupendous

Apocalypse is gonna ****in rock.

What my point is and was is this

Marvel has the same rights on xmen and spiderman outside of direct movie items as they do for avengers and iron man and any other property.

You said and continue to claim that fox and Sony have some stake in all merchandise for their respective franchises which is simply not the case. They get a cut of the direct movie items only. Period.

As for asuumingn there are hundreds of xmen items. I don't assume it. Every year Forbes reports what characters bring in the most (and least) in merch sales. Spiderman, even in years between films, brings in over a billion dollars. Way above any other property. But Xmen still bring in hundreds of millions and last year had a reported (by Forbes and the Wall Street journal) 17 million products sold. Well it would be two years ago now. Last years numbers have not been out yet.

This is what I have done as a living for most my life. My family studio has had licensing deals with marvel and DC. So I have a fair idea how this works.

And just becuase all you see is avengers means squat. Yes avengers has more. But spiderman has had constant lines at retail. I showed you ten items from TRU xmen related. There's a couple Lego sets. Last year new era release 10 xmen branded hats. There are three hot topic wolverine sweaters. Two dozen tshirts. Bowen had a couple statues. Marvel legends had two wolverine versions in series 2. There where nerf wolverine claws. Two or three wolverine electronic claws. Two wolverine "masks". And so much more. Yes, other brands have more, like avengers.

That doesn't change the facts. Marvel can produce or licenses xmen items and always could. Same with spiderman. The only things they need to share control of are directly related (as in exact likeness of actors, costume or dialog/story) to the films. They can make any other stuff they want.

You keep disagreeing and using the film tie ins to do so. The film tie ins are only small portions. Of the versions listed in your posts about wanted statues not a one is listed as a film tie in. As in looking exactly like the costume and actor in the film. So they could have done those any time they wanted. Or any company (ssc, Bowen) could have gotten the licenses to do so.

Back