Comic Con Anaheim, LA, Vegas or San Diego

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, no kidding. It was $290/night + taxes. And this was at Con rates!! If you want to stay at one of the 4-5 hotels next to the convention center, that's what you have to pay.

The non-SDCC rate per night that week/weekend? About $600 a night? :google

I've managed to get SDCC prices for a hotel only once in the 6 years I've gone. Non-SDCC rates are $400-420/nite for the hotels closest to the convention center and in most of the big hotels at Horton Plaza.

Man if I didn't live here, I wouldn't attend SDCC...
hotel rates are just plain ridiculous...
but, I don't think that would change if it goes to say Anaheim.... maybe in Vegas, but not sure if I'd like to go there, considering the traffic there is horrible...

SD is perfect for it, and I'm saying this as an Angeleno.

However if it had to move, I'd obviously prefer LA. 20min drive? Heck yes.

Since the Con is now half (or more like 80%?) about "Hollywood" that would be attractive for the studios or other entertainment companies (who were those guys again? Oh yeah Sideshow) to have it closer to home.

I would probably stop attending if it moved out of California.

We stayed in the Hard Rock again this year (because now I'm spoiled and won't stay anywhere else for SDCC if I can help it :lol). The total: $1344, for 4 nights.

And the problem isn't necessarily the rates, but that the city won't strong arm the hotels into opening up more blocks of rooms at those "lower" rates. Their greed may just end up forcing the con to movie and then everyone loses (especially the SD hotels).

Exactly...and its this greed that is forcing the con away from SD...that and the convention center is just too small, I don't know how they will fix that.

Los Angeles :nana:

When I booked my room at last min the room would have cost me $499 a night for the Hilton Bayfront. I didnt pay that, I paid 3 free night certificates and got an upgraded room.:)

My hostel was less than $100 a night. And it felt like it.

I stay in the Little Italy section of San Diego at the LaPensione for $99 a night. It's about a block away from the Holiday Inn on the Bay so you can take the pink line bus. It's a really quaint hotel in a really nice area. Way better then dropping a grand on a hotel next to the convention center.

I stay in the Little Italy section of San Diego at the LaPensione for $99 a night. It's about a block away from the Holiday Inn on the Bay so you can take the pink line bus. It's a really quaint hotel in a really nice area. Way better then dropping a grand on a hotel next to the convention center.

And you didnt have to sleep on "stained" sheets.

We stayed in the Hard Rock again this year (because now I'm spoiled and won't stay anywhere else for SDCC if I can help it :lol). The total: $1344, for 4 nights.

And the problem isn't necessarily the rates, but that the city won't strong arm the hotels into opening up more blocks of rooms at those "lower" rates. Their greed may just end up forcing the con to movie and then everyone loses (especially the SD hotels).

I wonder if my brother's comps from the Vegas Hard Rock would work at the Hard Rock in San Diego?

Coming from a former So CA resident :slap, our traffic is terrific. :hi5: :lecture

@ the Vegas strip? Are you kidding?... cars literally DON'T move... imagine during ComicCon!!
and if you take public transportation I'm sure it would take about an hour and a half to get from one end of the strip to the other one...

Exactly...and its this greed that is forcing the con away from SD...that and the convention center is just too small, I don't know how they will fix that.

Los Angeles :nana:

Any city that gets it, will eventually become greedy... just wait and see...

When I booked my room at last min the room would have cost me $499 a night for the Hilton Bayfront. I didnt pay that, I paid 3 free night certificates and got an upgraded room.:)

Good deal!!

Yep, there's even a few small studios for cheap in Little Italy... if you book ahead you can find one for $200.00 a week!

Come on, Anaheim!!

:mad:

I may have to think about this for next time.

Mesa slept on stained sheets? lol. I hope he writes about his experience there.

I used to stay at a good night Inn which was just off the highway, took about a 10 minute train ride to get to the convention center, and it was only slightly more expensive. I had that place reserved, but then I saw a "hotel" open up for less money and only 1 mile from the convention center. So I switched over to that. But I reviewed it online first, where I saw it was a "converted" hostel, and it got average reviews 3/5. I had no problem with the shared, but individual and lockable bathroom/shower area. Two mornings I got in right as cleaning lady was finishing up. And I didn't mind the noise too much, although I wish I had brought some ear plugs a couple of nights. What I didn't like was the crappy elevator, which sometimes took 5+ minutes to show up. There were two, and one was broken half the time. The other thing that bothered me was how cramped it was. I had no where to put my stuff. I was literally crawling over stuff by Sunday when I packed up.

Other than that, not too bad, it was clean, and very close. Not gaslight district close, but still walking distance.

Some freaks got the condo hookup. That's where its at. My hostel stay still cost me over $400 after taxes and fees, but nearly $300 was covered by AmEx reward points.

If comic con isn't going to be in SD anymore, my next choice, reluctantly, would be Vegas.

Back