Comic Collections: TPB or HC?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I prefer to collect...

• Trade Paperbacks

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Hardcovers

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters
TPB because they're cheaper but....
I prefer compendiums but....
The only collections of comics I buy now are digital (Comixology or Marvel Apps) and on my iPad...
You should have added that option.

I'm in Barnes and Noble now.....maybe I should steal some comic codes! Mwhahahah

I prefer HC, but honestly I buy whatever I can get my hands on. When I lived in St. Louis their was an awesome place called Star Clipper who had an entire wall dedicated to used tpb and hardcovers. They were all half off so I ended up with a ton of tpb and HC. Anyways so yeah I prefer HC but either one will work for me. If I love the story and It has an absolute version I will always go for that. Such as Girls, Sinestro Corps War and GL rebirth are some that were a must in that format.

I much prefer HC as they just look better, the dust jackets look so awesome lined up whereas the spine for TPB's generally look a lot weaker, especially the marvel stuff which is lately just black spine with the title on it.

I have a mixture of both on the shelf but that's mostly because I'm so late to the party with some series that the only way to get them cheap is on TPB

I am really irked though with my Annhilation run...I got great deals on HC's for volumes 1 & 3 but vlume 2 is a TPB & it looks SO wrong in the middle of the lush HC's :(

So yeah I'll buy HC's whenever I can but if it's not possible then a TPB will do...I guess ;)

Neil

I much prefer HC as they just look better, the dust jackets look so awesome lined up whereas the spine for TPB's generally look a lot weaker, especially the marvel stuff which is lately just black spine with the title on it.

I agree. I keep my HCs separate from my TPBs and the HCs look so much better on display. :D

I try to only collect HCs and floppies. My floppies are stuff that I've accumulated, and continue to accumulate on a month to month basis. My hardcovers are Absolute Editions and Omnibi.

I think you need another thread with digital as a choice.

All I buy now. Digital comics I own:

TPBs of Invincible
TPBs of Locke and Key
Iron man Extremis
X-Men Necrosha

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by consistent? Are you referring to the designs of the books, or to the stories selected for Absolute Editions? Initially, it seemed like the format was meant for iconic stories, and I think it still is, but I think that, little by little, they're trying to keep arcs consistent. I just ordered Absolute DC:The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke, and I can't wait.

The designs of the books and the slip covers. Example: the long Halloween's slip cover has the name of the book and its penciler and writer on the closed end. Absolute hush has nothing on its closed end. Minor first world problems lol

Ah, I know what you mean; Absolute Justice has the title on the closed end, too. It would be nice if they kept them all consistent that way. Hopefully, the newer releases are a bit different. So, what all Absolutes do you own?

Just the two I've mentioned: Hush and The Long Halloween. Others on my must-get list are Kingdom Come, Morrisons Batman & Robin, and, if I ran into 600 bucks, the Sandman volumes!

What do you have?

I've owned 4, but sold Absolute TDK and Absolute TLH when I was low on cash. I had Absolute Hush, too, but I'm not sure if I sold it or if someone bought it from me. When I bought it it seemed to be missing pages (not torn out or anything, just misprinted), and it wasn't too expensive so I'm not really concerned. I've kept Absolute Justice in my collection, though, and I'll continue to, as I'm a huge Alex Ross fan. That being said, I just found a new site that has all of the Absolutes, and they even get the new ones when they hit, and they all sell for 45-50-60 % off.

I just ordered Absolute New Frontier for myself, along with a Sgt. Rock archive as a gift for a friend, so I'll let you know how it goes. The site is cheapgraphicnovels.com. If everything goes smoothly, I'd like to start rebuilding my collection. The next one I pick up will probably be All-Star Superman, and after that, if like to rebuy The Long Halloween, and, subsequently, Dark Victory. The deals just seem too good to pass up; particularly if everything's legit.

I was going to place an order there earlier today, but I'm in Canada, and their international shipping rates kill whatever deal there's to be had for me unfortunately. Here's hoping Chapters/Coles/Indigo has a juicy 30% off for boxing day.

Let me know if it's legit!

My only complaint is consistency on those. Loeb's and Sale's batman stuff matches well enough, but everything else seems to be random. Otherwise, I agree completely.

The worst for me is the Identity Crisis book, no extras besides what was already included with the regular release. But I already knew that when I bought but I can't help myself love that book to death! :monkey3

Absolute Editions>>>>>>all

:goodpost::exactly: Whats your favorite you own? I have the Girls absolute edition and it is gorgeous easily my favorite. Well technically it's not called "absolute" but it is the exact same format.

Back