Comic books are officially just a PC tool.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Man and Ant Man ain't new. Ant Man and others just became more popular. Sure some of the chars you listed are new, but they're not top tier chars. Mr. Green still don't know who Poe Dameron is and probably no interest. Comics are having hard time, they're playing all their cards to get the sales.

Better writing and story telling is the cure to what ails them.

(just because i dont see it in the city where i live, it means it doesnt exist) flawless SJW logic...:goodpost:

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm saying it's not the predominant belief, nor is an individual's folly a solid basis for judging an entire movement, party, belief system, etc.

Flawless strawman. :goodpost:

Honestly, that's the double edged sword of comics going mainstream with these constant blockbusters. Yeah, you get to see all your favorite heroes on the big screen, but, suddenly, all those other ticket sales are what these companies start to take note of; the untapped markets, and, in a way, I do think it becomes a bit of an "us vs. them" scenario, but, moreso, in an "old guard vs. new" sort of way. I'm all for diversity in comic books, though, but I do think there has to be a balance. I think DC learned that the hard way. I actually quite liked the DC You initiative. Some great stories came out of it, but I feel like that was really their push to be accepted by the Tumblr/Buzzfeed market, and, if you look at the sales records, they kind of didn't show up.

Take a look at Rebirth, though. You have the, from what I've heard, great Midnighter series returning in the form of a Midnighter and Apollo mini-series, Jessica Cruz is now a Green Lantern, and there's a new Green Lantern title focused on her and Simon Baz, and you still have new characters like Duke Thomas playing a key role in the Batman mythos, but look at what you have returning, too; Wally West, the JSA, Pre-Crisis Superman, and the best part is that DC is diversifying in a big way by bringing back fan favorite characters like Ryan Choi (The Atom), Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle), and Jackson Hyde (Aqualad from Young Justice). The way they're doing it, though, is spectacular, because it isn't "us vs. them," it's us and them. No longer does Ted Kord have to get his brains blown out for Jaime Reyes to become Blue Beetle, now, they work together as a team. Similarly, Ryan Choi must become The Atom to rescue Ray Palmer.

I don't read Marvel, so, I can't speak to it, but, from an outsiders point of view, it seems like they're more about gimmicks than anyone. It seems like there's a relaunch with all new, all different #1s every year, and it does seem like they just do it for the headlines. "Who is the NEW, FEMALE Thor?" "Meet Sam Wilson: Marvel's New Captain America!" Truth is, though, I have no problem with Riri. More power to them if they can introduce another minority character and have it catch on. I am a white, straight male. I make no apologies for who I am, but, if there's one thing I learned growing up, it's that I had no shortage of heroes to look up to, so, if a young black girl can walk into a comic shop in Brooklyn and find someone to be inspired by as much as I've been by characters like Batman and Superman, that's great.

I get it, I do, and I think people on both sides need to take a more nuanced view of things, because too often do I see conversations devolve into "racists" vs. "the PC Police." To the "racists," (I'm making a point, by the way, I don't actually think you're racists), like I said, diversity should not be an issue. If you do it well, you can have an enduring character that stands the test of time, and, honestly, I think only good things can come from more representation of groups that have been under represented. The world's changed a lot over the years, and I do think this is a medium that's still got some catching up to do, but I think you've got to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water, and that brings me to my next point, in regards to "The PC Police," don't assume that someone's a racist just because they might be judgemental or critical of an initiative to diversify the marketplace.

You have to understand, and I'm guilty of it myself, at times; people are territorial of these characters. Before The Avengers, before Batfleck, and Robert Downey Jr. and, even, Tobey Maguire, there were these guys. When comic companies were on the verge of bankruptcy in the '90s, there were these guys. When Christopher Reeve made people believe a man could fly, and Lynda Carter twirled her way into America's hearts as Wonder Woman, there were these guys. Some of these guys were around when the comics code authority butchered the medium into near obscurity, some arrived during Crises, but there was one constant: these were their heroes. It's not always been cool to be a nerd, and "geek chic" hasn't always been a thing, and I do get where Snake Doctor is coming from with the "cultural appropriation" thing, though, I feel he could've expressed it a bit better, because, at times, the directions these companies take can seem a bit callous in regards to the customer base who supported them before they were a billion dollar industry.

Like "you've been here with us through thick and thin, but now, more and more people are being exposed to our brand, and, in an effort to expand into these untapped markets, we're going to take everything you knew and completely alienate you as we try to bring in fresh blood." These are guys that knew the same Thor, the same Cap, the same Spider-Man, and the same Hulk for decades, and, now, everything is changing. If there's anything I've learned over the years, it's that people don't like change; particularly when it's happening to something that they've grown familiar with, but, just because they might disagree with a change that has to do with race, gender, or sexuality, that does not make them a racist, a sexist, or a homophobe, and painting people with such broad strokes is both unfair and dangerous. Anyway, moral of the story: be good to one and other, change doesn't have to be bad, and there's nothing to be afraid of when it's done right, and we should all make more of an effort to get along and bond over our love of funny books.

I think, maybe, I'm done, so...

the saddest thing (and i dont mean saddest in a sarcastic or patronizing way) the saddest thing for me to see is how the "militant, censorship-supporting activists" as you call them are becoming the majority and are completely taking over the movements you say you support and level minded people like you are either completely denying it, completely ignoring it or just flat out dont see it.
I realize maybe you do belong on the side of the rational activists, and I KNOW you will say this is not true, that this is not the case. I can anticipate that. But.... I guess i am just thinking out loud here but, why are these militant people so undermined? ignored and just let to do whatever they want.

you can tell me that they are a very tiny insignificant minority that only dwell on the internet, but how can that be true when they are able to make companies change billboards or cancel comic book covers or get people fired from movies? HOW? HOW can they be this tiny insignificant small group when they are able to make Disney apologize for something?

how does that work? when hundreds of thousands sign a petition to make a multimillion dollar studio change their projects? when they ban a video game from being sold in stores. what you are saying does not compute with the reality.
explain that to me.

I do wonder this at times and the best explanation I can come up with now is: mob mentality. Any side of any issue is susceptible to this and social media only exacerbates the problem. It's loud, it's validation-based (drug-like), and it makes becoming part of the mob easier than ever. One or two clicks and you're in.

That's why it's different on the ground. You have to actually do things, have real conversations, meet with people and listen to stories. This takes more time, so a more personal, respectful, and rational approach needs to develop. It does sadden me that online interactions so often devolve into a mob-fueled strawman showdown because it nullifies whatever merits either cause may have.

Though again, it's still not censorship. People will continue to vote with their wallets and companies have no choice but to cater to them. That's how it's always been.

I do wonder this at times and the best explanation I can come up with now is: mob mentality. Any side of any issue is susceptible to this and social media only exacerbates the problem. It's loud, it's validation-based (drug-like), and it makes becoming part of the mob easier than ever. One or two clicks and you're in.

That's why it's different on the ground. You have to actually do things, have real conversations, meet with people and listen to stories. This takes more time, so a more personal, respectful, and rational approach needs to develop. It does sadden me that online interactions so often devolve into a mob-fueled strawman showdown because it nullifies whatever merits either cause may have.

Though again, it's still not censorship. People will continue to vote with their wallets and companies have no choice but to cater to them. That's how it's always been.

:lecture:goodpost:

My belief is that the issues are nuanced and their handling needs to be as well. I don't know that a rally is the way to go, but when civil discourse is often drowned out, people do tend to do louder and bolder things. I can certainly see why BLM exists.

And I do grapple with it, balancing idealism with rationality and pragmatism. I think it's worthwhile trying to figure that out. Whatever helps to develop the patience to listen to others and have a better understanding of the world and its perspectives (whether I agree or not). That's the end goal for me, beyond labels or anything else. If that makes me an SJW or a white knight, so be it. I simply refuse to be reductionist.

you say in the streets is different, but, what about when blm disrupt the Orlando vigil or they hijacked Toronto Pride parade, when they harassed Bernie sanders in his own rally?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pride-parade-toronto-1.3662823

what about when feminist groups disrupt presentations about battered husbands in college campuses? when they disrupt any men's right activist gatherings (I dont care how cringy they are, they have the right to gather for a presentation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_X4DkwA_Q

how about when they ban a Yoga class in a college because of cultural appropriation? when college professors gets fired for a halloween costume? when colleges are ready to ban Christmas celebrations?
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25569/

what about when BLM wants to segregate students and have "blacks only classes, buses, lunch rooms" I thought segregation was bad?
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/25748/

i mean, these are not "online mob mentality, kids being dumb" this is "in the street stuff" You MIGHT say (well crows, ONE example doesn't represent the entire movement or "strawman") but these are just a couple of examples out of thousands.... see... what you are talking to me about does not go along with the reality of the issue. even "on the street" i am seeing the same lunacy that i see on "Tumblr"

Lets not forget the SJW were able to make Disney BAN the future sell of any Slave Leia merchandise from stores. anything with Slave Leia is now banned.
how is that not Big "IN the streets" censorship?

I mean.................. come on:
https://dailycaller.com/2016/02/23/...ce-for-students-afraid-of-debate-on-feminism/

See, they got your attention.:wave

but then how come blm dont freak out over the constant death in Chicago? at least as far as protesting and rallies and stuff? or detroit? if black lives Matter how come there is not more outrage over chicago?

Lol. There is, but it doesn't bring in the ratings.

but then how come blm dont freak out over the constant death in Chicago? at least as far as protesting and rallies and stuff? or detroit? if black lives Matter how come there is not more outrage over chicago?

Are you really asking that question? Is the movement not valid in your eyes unless it protests every time someone is killed in Chicago? I mean, that happens a lot so it's almost a daily reality. It's part of why BLM exists in the first place.

I'm not quite sure what your point is anymore. Seems like you don't care, yet you're nitpicking it to justify not caring?

If the PC crowd and Marvel want diversity...Let's change Black Panther to a white guy, change Storm into a lesbian, change Luke Cage into a transgender person, and have Sam Wilson come out as gay. See, it can work both ways.

:slap. 4 whole characters.
Yah, that's really working it both ways.

:slap. 4 whole characters.
Yah, that's really working it both ways.

What's wrong with 4 characters? :slap I can come up with more but that's a good start. They would certainly add more diversity to the Marvel U...wouldn't they?

Last edited:
no, it is a legit question. kryptonianmutie said "See, they got your attention." and i answered to what you quoted.
im not nitpicking, i was thinking about what this guy said: https://www.facebook.com/johnathan.gentry.14/posts/10209618857578024 I guess I should have clarified, (i forgot to post it)

what are your thoughts? what do you think of this?

I agree with him, though I won't say it's only their problem. Part of the issue are the hundreds of years of systemic racism that have gotten the communities to where they are now. The man in this video seems to be reacting to the reality of those communities today, which is absolutely valid, but look at what led to this. Why certain areas have less access to education and higher crime rates.

Here's a video for you. I know it's a lengthier one, but it does a great job of contextualizing everything including today's harsh realities within those areas. And that context matters a lot. This is about the economic policies, the prejudice, and the profiling that has created a landscape where many people born within it are almost doomed to fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgIIjnpZyU

Lopsided in what way?

You singled out 4 black heroes, making 1 white and 3 LGBT. Which doesn't change their appearance much, not really. Saying that it can go both ways. If you made a list of black/white/other heroes, that list would overall be lopsided. There wouldn't be much reason to work it the other way...

But hey, make BP a white guy. I don't think that really proves your point. I get your frustration, but those characters are bigger than everyone on this forum put together.

but not even online. not even on twitter (where most blm stuff is posted) not on facebook, not even on blm reddit pages. I mean, police brutality is a serious problem but it is a problem that also affects other races, you have any idea what happens to hispanics? to undocumented immigrants? im not taking about the news, sometimes i find it interesting how these groups will choose to be silent over some stuff.

Well, I don't use Twitter and I stopped using Facebook a long time ago because I couldn't take it anymore after the riots in Baltimore. I'm pretty old school so BLM strategy doesn't appeal to me but I did try to keep up on them initially and they were bringing up the violence in Chicago, occasionally. It would help if police weren't killing people because that's always going to trump anything else media wise so that's what the activists have to talk about first, and then they try to get in tidbits about what ails the black community during interviews, but some of them also put on a show, which annoys me. I like facts, not rhetoric.

You singled out 4 black heroes, making 1 white and 3 LGBT. Which doesn't change their appearance much, not really. Saying that it can go both ways. If you made a list of black/white/other heroes, that list would overall be lopsided. There wouldn't be much reason to work it the other way...

But hey, make BP a white guy. I don't think that really proves your point. I get your frustration, but those characters are bigger than everyone on this forum put together.

Excluding the change for Black Panther, the other 3 would still be black characters despite the PC changes and add to the diversity of the Marvel U. What's the problem? There's a healthy amount of minority characters in the Marvel U. Let's start putting some of them in the LGBT community for a more diverse Marvel U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back