Colossus Comiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe anyone would like this. It reminds me of those terrible Xmen Evolution maquettes.

bicentennial-man-800-75.jpg

I wish Sideshow would just ONCE cater to the older fan and give us the traditional looks. You know, back in the days when comics were good. Would it be so bad to give us a set of Byrne/Austin Xmen?!

4113642267_ab53b46c85_o.jpg

Last edited:
For everyone doesn't like his face.....please remember that the Nightcrawler comiquette does come with a change of head. If SS does that with this piece, that should settle all of our gripes as far as his face is concerned. As for the costume...I also would have loved seeing the classic Byrne costumes for these guys.

That being said, if Colossus comes with a change of head I'm all over this. The pose is great and I do like the piece overall.

IMO, Sideshow should have done this face to the LSB and not done it to the com. or the PF.

I can't believe anyone would like this. It reminds me of those terrible Xmen Evolution maquettes.

Different strokes, for different folks. I can understand your frustration that SS has not addressed the classic x-men folks. But believe it or not there are going to be some people out there that aren't as diehard as you regarding the classic x-men and that's ok.

Byrne-style statues would be ideal.

I don't know anything about the Star Wars board, but if you are happy to accept whatever type of odd, even fundamentally flawed design, Sideshow throws your way, then power to you.

I think FQRizzo's point is that the Star Wars board has the reputation for having a bunch of fans who are extreme Monday Morning Quarterbacks/Sculptors. These folks have no real sculpting talent themselves, but who like to spend their time nitpicking at various items, believe SS should produce products to their personal standards with no regard to anyone else, and who are quick to identify fundamentally flawed products.

I'm not sure things on the Marvel board are any worse or better than the Star Wars board, but it sure seems like the threads have become more critical lately for new product reveals. I guess until these products are released we won't know if SS's quality has deteriorated or we are all being overly critical.

I think it was intentional.

Just like they wanted to stray as far away from the Jet Li, um I mean Jim Lee version in the Psylocke Com and the Hulk PF/Movie Version of long hair in the Hulk Com. They are intentionally making it as different as possible so people can justify getting both PF and comiquette versions without saying hey they look almost the same. The problem is they are deviating and following this rule so much so that it's potentially ruining the look for some or possibly many of the fans.

Let's see how we can make people buy 2 of each - Change scale, change costume, change look and reference art, change hairstyle, add features (switch out part/light up etc). They take those factors and see which they can tweak the most without people gettin' annoyed while still making as many buy both versions possible. But sometimes they may go too far and it sacrifices the look of the piece.

Great Theory Fuzzy, It does make sense anything to get us Collectors to throw down our hard earned Dollars on a Character production run, LSB, Comiquette, PF .

What's the price on this?
Don't know yet, but figure it will be anywhere from $250-$350. Probably on the upper end because of size.

I think FQRizzo's point is that the Star Wars board has the reputation for having a bunch of fans who are extreme Monday Morning Quarterbacks/Sculptors. These folks have no real sculpting talent themselves, but who like to spend their time nitpicking at various items, believe SS should produce products to their personal standards with no regard to anyone else, and who are quick to identify fundamentally flawed products.
I don't think the issues here are with the sculptor's abilities, but with the choice of design. Of course, this is all the personal preference of the collector, but the most iconic, desirable X-Men designs are not what Sideshow has been pumping out here (not sure Star Wars has the same concerns, since most characters are from the movies, and have specific looks there that Sideshow can't screw around with too much).

Of course, as others said, if Sideshow is holding out for 1/4 scale PFs to give us the designs that most collectors are going to want, then folks will be thanking Sideshow in the end.

Regarding Marvel generally, though, I have seen 3 statues in the last few days that, based on the characters, I would have an interest in buying--Hulk, Nightcrawler, and Colossus. Nightcrawler is, I think, the best of the three, but each has enough flaws to keep me from wanting to buy. And I'm not extremely picky I don't think, but the haircut on Hulk, and the costume designs for these X-Men aren't anything I am familiar with and don't look good. So, I'll just pass.

Figure it is worth posting our critical (but hopefully constructive) thoughts on these boards, or Sideshow might keep doing more of this kind of thing.

The Marvel board is now the new Star Wars board.

Actually, it has been heading in that direction for a few years now.

I'd say it landed and became the SW board about a year ago. I blame the success of the movies. :lecture Half the folks that post here have probably never even read a comic book (or at least, not in the last 20 years or so) :lol

Don't know yet, but figure it will be anywhere from $250-$350. Probably on the upper end because of size.

I don't think the issues here are with the sculptor's abilities, but with the choice of design. Of course, this is all the personal preference of the collector, but the most iconic, desirable X-Men designs are not what Sideshow has been pumping out here (not sure Star Wars has the same concerns, since most characters are from the movies, and have specific looks there that Sideshow can't screw around with too much).

Of course, as others said, if Sideshow is holding out for 1/4 scale PFs to give us the designs that most collectors are going to want, then folks will be thanking Sideshow in the end.

Regarding Marvel generally, though, I have seen 3 statues in the last few days that, based on the characters, I would have an interest in buying--Hulk, Nightcrawler, and Colossus. Nightcrawler is, I think, the best of the three, but each has enough flaws to keep me from wanting to buy. And I'm not extremely picky I don't think, but the haircut on Hulk, and the costume designs for these X-Men aren't anything I am familiar with and don't look good. So, I'll just pass.

Figure it is worth posting our critical (but hopefully constructive) thoughts on these boards, or Sideshow might keep doing more of this kind of thing.

Couldn't have said it better!

Not sure about this one. Looks kinda nice, but it's not the one I wanted. I don't understand why almost verybody is so negative about the Hulk and Nightcrawler. Ok, Hulk's face isn't all that, but the pose and the body is awesome. Nightcrawler looks good with the other head. (Not The Beatles haircut.)

I can't help but think that Marvel has made the decision to have their characters marketed with their more modern costumes rather than their classic ones.

Someone in either Marvel or Sideshows marketing departments has made the decision that in order to cater to the largest portion of the current SS customer base, Marvel's characters should be reflected wearing their modern costumes. If either Marvel or SS believed that producing the X-men in the Byrne/Claremont classic costumes would lead to greater sales they would do that in a minute. No sane corporation is going to leave money on the table.

As you stated in your last post, maybe they plan on making more of the classic look for some of these characters in the Premium Format pieces yet to be announced.

Lastly going back to the discussion on whether or not folks are currently more critical of SS pieces. How much of the increased criticism can be attributed to the rising prices on comiquttes? Gone are the days of below $200 comiquettes, now it's not uncommon to see comiquettes at $250-$300, and the recent Spidey and Hulk pieces are at $360.

Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate of businesses charging what the market will bear. However, rising prices mean that collectors cannot purchase as many pieces and they are forced to be more selective. We could be seeing that frustration boil over with the rising criticism associated with product reveals.

Ah, easy pass for me. I think so far the only thing I have ordered SDCC wise is Black Cat.

Whoa! It's all coming together, you're probably right. See that Cyclops costume looks pretty awesome, so they are banking on the fact that if they make a 1/4 scale PF first, people will get that and still get the Cyclops as a 1/5 comiquette when it comes out cos of his threads.

I'm gettin both versions of cyclops anyways :yess:

I can't help but think that Marvel has made the decision to have their characters marketed with their more modern costumes rather than their classic ones.

It doesn't seem like Bowen or Koto are being told what versions to make. Seems more like SS still making poor decisions with their products.

Back