College Football fans...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah the Bama(ROLL TIDE!!!!)/GA game next week will be interesting...we'll find out a lot about both teams...i just hope the GA offense doesn't decide to wake up and play like they are capable next week...wait one more week to do that please.

I hope Bama roll GA... just sick of the SEC talk.

You think YOU'RE sick of it... try living in the South for 30 years. :monkey4

I don't know if it's myopia or the inferiority complex that still exists from the Civil War (or both), but it's amazing how many people here simply ignore and shrug off any football that happens West of the Mississippi or North of the Mason-Dixon Line. Even the media here is ridiculous with it. :rolleyes:

You think YOU'RE sick of it... try living in the South for 30 years. :monkey4

I don't know if it's myopia or the inferiority complex that still exists from the Civil War (or both), but it's amazing how many people here simply ignore and shrug off any football that happens West of the Mississippi or North of the Mason-Dixon Line. Even the media here is ridiculous with it. :rolleyes:

There's a reason why.

It makes sense to hear quite a bit about it if you live in SEC country but there are some pretty damn good football teams that don't play there.

There's a reason why.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... "The SEC is the best". Blah, blah, and freakin' blah. :sleep

It makes sense to hear quite a bit about it if you live in SEC country

A bit??? It's all people here talk about!

It's not just like this with sports, by the way. Southern Pride infects all kinds of stuff. People need to just stop fighting the Civil War already and realize there is more to life than grits, trucks and slack-jawed accents.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... "The SEC is the best". Blah, blah, and freakin' blah. :sleep

I'm not just talking about the SEC or ACC or some of the best in the Big 12, but at the high school level as well. Football is just part of the culture. There's nothing wrong with that and it has nothing to do with the Civil War or southern pride for the majority of the people. No doubt plenty of that goes on, but from youth up through college it's just a football hotbed. Nothing to get up in arms about. These things and ideas don't just appear out of nowhere, fans and analyst don't just decide one day it's the way it's going to be. I like just as many teams outside of the south as I do inside of the south. In fact I hate a lot more teams in the south than outside it, but it is what it is. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not just talking about the SEC or ACC or some of the best in the Big 12, but at the high school level as well. Football is just part of the culture. There's nothing wrong with that and it has nothing to do with the Civil War or southern pride for the majority of the people. No doubt plenty of that goes on, but from youth up through college it's just a football hotbed. Nothing to get up in arms about. These things and ideas don't just appear out of nowhere, fans and analyst don't just decide one day it's the way it's going to be. I like just as many teams outside of the south as I do inside of the south. In fact I hate a lot more teams in the south than outside it, but it is what it is. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, I hear you believe me. And my post wasn't directed toward you personally.

But I do believe a lot of the SEC chest-thumping is just symptomatic of southern pride. Afterall, how many other schools chant their conference's names during games? When was the last time you heard a BIG 12, BIG 10 or PAC-10 school do that? Down here, they all do. Even the schools whose teams suck. That tells you all you need to know.

And, trust me, football at the High School and college level is pretty damn big business in places like Calfornia as well... and nowhere bigger than in Texas (which is not part of the SEC or what I would call "The South"). So it's not that, either.

Hey Josh,

I wasn't too terribly impressed with the tigers on saturday, what's up?

If Turner Gill can hang 21 on Missouri and stick right with 'em for a majority of the game, it ought to be interesting to see what happens when they come to Lincoln to play Nebraska.

From USA today...

Here's the list of the top 10 football states based on the number of top high school programs, top college recruits, top college teams, top college players, NFL players from these states, Hall of Famers....

1. Mississippi
2. Georgia
3. Louisana
4. Ohio
5. Alabama
6. Texas
7. Virginia
8. South Carolina
9. Kansas
10. Florida

But I do believe a lot of the SEC chest-thumping is just symptomatic of southern pride. Afterall, how many other schools chant their conference's names during games? When was the last time you heard a BIG 12, BIG 10 or PAC-10 school do that? Down here, they all do. Even the schools whose teams suck. That tells you all you need to know.

And, trust me, football at the High School and college level is pretty damn big business in places like Calfornia as well... and nowhere bigger than in Texas (which is not part of the SEC or what I would call "The South"). So it's not that, either.

I hear USC chant their name all the time. I hate them as much as I do UGA though and I was born and raised in GA.:eek: I'm surronded by neighbors who fly UGA flags and Auburn flags so I know all about hearing it. It does get old, but it makes for some fun ^^^^ talking.:D

A bit??? It's all people here talk about!

It's not just like this with sports, by the way. Southern Pride infects all kinds of stuff. People need to just stop fighting the Civil War already and realize there is more to life than grits, trucks and slack-jawed accents.

Hey, Hey, Hey now I like my grits specially with sugar and butter.:D

Hey Josh,

I wasn't too terribly impressed with the tigers on saturday, what's up?

If Turner Gill can hang 21 on Missouri and stick right with 'em for a majority of the game, it ought to be interesting to see what happens when they come to Lincoln to play Nebraska.

We didn't play well. I think we had 3 turnovers so we kind of kept them in the game. The score was actually pretty close to all the predictions. If that gives you hope thats cool.

I think MU may have been thinking about Neb in a couple weeks. I expect MU to go in and take care of business. They've played really pretty well all season and beat Neb 41-6 last year. We'll see in a couple weeks. As I've said before by 1 or 100 doesn't matter. Just win.

There is nothing wrong with having pride in your conference. The SEC is the best conference in football since 2001. There is no denying that. Whether or not an SEC teams wins the NC, I do believe we will have the best bowl record of any conference. The only conference that comes close is the Big 12 but I doubt they could compete with the SEC top to bottom. The following article by SI is a good article looking at this issue.

https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/08/11/conference.debate/

We didn't play well. I think we had 3 turnovers so we kind of kept them in the game. The score was actually pretty close to all the predictions. If that gives you hope thats cool.

I think MU may have been thinking about Neb in a couple weeks. I expect MU to go in and take care of business. They've played really pretty well all season and beat Neb 41-6 last year. We'll see in a couple weeks. As I've said before by 1 or 100 doesn't matter. Just win.

Missouri's defense look lackluster. Buffalo is one of the worst teams in the country and they played Missouri close for a large part of the game. It hurt GA with SC, and this year will be about style points if it gets close. I have no doubt that Missouri has a great offense but that alone won't win a championship. Are you worried about Neb? Sure they are 3 and 0 but they haven't played anyone? Should be a blowout.... The only team you guys play this year worth a darn is Texas. Kansas won't even be ranked by the time you play them with the way they look. The only game you will have to worry about is OK in conference championship in my opinion.

Missouri's defense look lackluster. Buffalo is one of the worst teams in the country and they played Missouri close for a large part of the game. It hurt GA with SC, and this year will be about style points if it gets close. I have no doubt that Missouri has a great offense but that alone won't win a championship. Are you worried about Neb? Sure they are 3 and 0 but they haven't played anyone? Should be a blowout.... The only team you guys play this year worth a darn is Texas. Kansas won't even be ranked by the time you play them with the way they look. The only game you will have to worry about is OK in conference championship in my opinion.

:clap:clap Agreed, when this game happens OU is going to lite MIZZOU up again, same as last year. MIZZOU is decent, but not on OUs level!! OU needs to stop being like marijuana, getting smoked in bowls!!!:D:monkey3:D

Back