Collectible DisaSter....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off thanks for all the replies.

A question to anyone who may know. As of right now we are waiting on the landlord to call and hopefully come over. When my mom spoke to him last night he told her not to call our insurance company yet and that he was going to contact his to see if his insurance would cover anything. My question is though IF i can file a claim would somebody have to come out first and see the damage? If I go through the damaged stuff and start pulling stuff out of wet boxes and throwing the boxes away would this affect filing a claim. Or is it best if I leave stuff how it is? So they can see all the damage.

I would leave it and I would take a ton of pictures! Hopefully his insurance will cover it but if not, maybe between both it will be.

Well neither my insurance or his will cover anything.

The plus side is though that so far none of the actual items seem to be damaged. However a lot of boxes or destroyed. And as you all know without the original box if I want to sell any of these items I will not get as much as with the box. Right now though our entire house is in complete chaos. Right now I am even taking down everything I had on display and putting the stuff back in the boxes. The reason being because there will have to be workers in my room to fix the ceiling and they will most likely not give a rats ass about my stuff. So I am taking everything down so that nothing gets broken when they do repairs.

Neither will cover ANYTHING?! Wouldn't it be the landlord's responsiblity to keep the AC working properly? Though I didn't expect you to get replacement costs, I would think you would get SOMETHING!

I'm sorry! Grrrrrr!

Re: Collectible Disater....

i enjoyed the story.. thank you for posting

As soon as I read the first post I said to myself "How long until Bodie posts about how this is funny". Wow, you're so predictable these days that you're no longer funny. It's a sad day.

Just take lots of photos! I mean 100's of photos. Do you have a video camera? Take some footage with that.

There is no such thing as too much evidence.

Sorry to hear this, from my experience the Insurance doesn't care about mint in box value, if the item in the box is still good you won't get a cent

Wow, that sucks. Something like that happened at my house. There's some kind of drainage pan in the attic for the AC, it overflowed one day and I was in my room and heard the sound of running water in the hallway, looked out there and water was pouring through the ceiling. But it just started so we caught it and not much damage. Certainly no damage to my collectibles.

Most of the actual collectibles should be fine, but I'm sure the boxes are ruined.

Sorry to hear about the disaster. Same thing happened to me a while back with some electronics equipment - when I was living in an apartment.

Boxes that are dry but still damaged and where you can definitely tell they were water damaged should I keep them? I now realize just how much stuff I have and stuff has got to go. As I am going through everything there is a lot of damaged items that is stuff that I would like to get rid of. So should I still keep the boxes?

This and a burglary are my two most fears that could happen to my collection. Once we get a house this fall and move out of our rented town home, I'm going to do what Snoopy suggested and insure my collectibles through a collector insurance site.

Even regular insurance might be more expensive depending what is all in your collection and size of collection. I would want a insurance company that specializes in such matters...

Re: Collectible Disater....

As soon as I read the first post I said to myself "How long until Bodie posts about how this is funny". Wow, you're so predictable these days that you're no longer funny. It's a sad day.

but your such a miserable bastard nothing was ever funny to begin w/ right?

This and a burglary are my two most fears that could happen to my collection. Once we get a house this fall and move out of our rented town home, I'm going to do what Snoopy suggested and insure my collectibles through a collector insurance site.

Even regular insurance might be more expensive depending what is all in your collection and size of collection. I would want a insurance company that specializes in such matters...

The drug addict theives around my parts wouldn't know the value of my collectibles. They be looking for cash or would steal my computer or tv. That's about it.

They broke into my friend's beauty salon 3 times only to steal the change out of her pop machine. :lol

Boxes that are dry but still damaged and where you can definitely tell they were water damaged should I keep them? I now realize just how much stuff I have and stuff has got to go. As I am going through everything there is a lot of damaged items that is stuff that I would like to get rid of. So should I still keep the boxes?

If you can salvage them, I would.

Are you sure about the insurance thing? I'd be sure before I threw anything away.

I live at home with my parents.

First mistake right there.

Just kidding. I'm sorry this happened to you. My AC in my garage leaked a few months ago and ruined some boxes I had in there. A few of my Gentle Giant pieces are now without boxes. Not surprised your insurance or the landlords wont cover it. They usually never do.

Live and learn I guess.

Sorry to hear about this. :(

Yeah, renters insurance is not enough to cover collectibles. You have to get a seperate insurance to cover it...but I guess you know that now.
As for the AC unit, either the condensation pump stopped working and the water just continued to overflow, or if it drains out through a pipe somewhere the pipe might have burst. This happened my upstairs AC unit, the pvc pipe that carries the water out through the attic had water in it during the winter and froze and cracked. So come summer time when the wated started going through it again it just started leaking through the ceiling.

As for your boxes, even if they show water damage I would go ahead and keep them. Not the shipping boxes but the color art boxes to the statues themselves. Just make sure they dry completely so they don't ever mold. Most people won't pay as much for a statue without a box cause they fear it will get damage in shipping, or that it might be a knock off. A water damaged box will bring the value down some, but not as much as if you had no box at all.

I have Collectibles Insurance Services, LLC for my collection. Never had to use them thankfully, but it is worth it to have it just in case and you can work the insurance to fit what you collect specifically.

Back