Cold Cathode Sabers are cool!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, Natedog. I had a hard time drilling out my hilt enough where the entire cathode tube would fit perfectly in the hole. Did you completely shave the plastic end that holds the wiring on both ends? I did one end and left the side that slides into the hilt, but cut it back.

The heat shrink must be completely removed if that's what you're talking about. Solder your new smaller wires directly to the bulb not the wires that come already attached. Then the hole in the hilt should be 9/64" to hold the tube nicely.

I'm working on a jedi Luke and ep3 Obi-wan since these hilts have a choke they're going to be a little different. I'll post results when complete.

Stupid question, but I guess the sabers have no color at all when unlit? So they are only really an alternative for the stock ones when plugged in?

Correct. When off all the bulbs are white. I use clear heatshrink on mine but I suppose if you can find some colored transparent heatshrink that would also work. Not sure if they make it though.

Where did you get your cathodes? I got some red ones off ebay but they all have a pinkish hue and not red.

I believe all the red ones have a pinkish hue. Mine do as well, but only if you look directly at the bulb. The light they give off is definitely RED This is not an issue for me since the screen versions are similar.

Thanks for all the compliments. I started Darth Maul tonight but ran out of black wire :panic:

The heat shrink must be completely removed if that's what you're talking about. Solder your new smaller wires directly to the bulb not the wires that come already attached. Then the hole in the hilt should be 9/64" to hold the tube nicely.

I'm working on a jedi Luke and ep3 Obi-wan since these hilts have a choke they're going to be a little different. I'll post results when complete.

Yep, I was referring to the heat shrink. Thanks, brother. And once again, nice job!

I've got to work on my HT Bespin Luke, but the hilt is a bit tighter as you have stated.

I have some Cathode sabers I may be willing to part with if anyone is interested. A Luke and Vader set with unpainted silver hilts. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I'm a bit late to the party. Anyone know where I can get a Darth and Luke set of lightup sabers? Please PM me and let me know. Cost has no boundaries here ;)

CCFL are abundantly available on eBay. Most of the ones in this thread seem to be 3.5mm diameter. Note that the ones used by katkuru seem to all be thinner, maybe 2mm. If you want a specific size you'll have to do more detailed eBay and net searching and most auctions don't include the diameter of the actual CCFL, even if they include it for the protective tube around it.

Just ordered a pair of red CCFL for Vader and remembered that I wanted to share a tip.

I've searched for translucent colored heat shrink to try and color the unlit sabers, but the only suitable material I've found doesn't come in a diameter suitable for the CCFL - I can only find really wide tubing.

So my alternative, which I've yet to test, will be to use clear heat shrink and then spray paint using translucent paint (it's paint mixed with clear lacquer in the can aka tinted lacquer).

Just ordered a pair of red CCFL for Vader and remembered that I wanted to share a tip..

Are you using the 6" length?

I've searched for translucent colored heat shrink to try and color the unlit sabers, but the only suitable material I've found doesn't come in a diameter suitable for the CCFL - I can only find really wide tubing.

So my alternative, which I've yet to test, will be to use clear heat shrink and then spray paint using translucent paint (it's paint mixed with clear lacquer in the can aka tinted lacquer).

Sounds like a great solution to fix the way the sabers look when the powers off. Please keep us posted on your progress. Thanks.

Back