Classic movie references that make no sense to modern audiences

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the 80's and 90's, Arnold and Stallone referenced each other in several films because they were rivals. I think a 15 year old kid that watches those movies might not get the meaning behind some of the references.

In OP when Bond tells the tiger to sit , that was a reference to a UK dog show or something

"Would you please sign in ?" (Speed , 1994)

A reference to those 50s/60s show where they had blindfolds and had to guess the celebs

I'm surprised. Some travel company adopted it as the main slogan in their TV commercials for a number of years in the late 80's and used it in the same vein as "Calgon take me away." I'm too lazy to look up the ads on YouTube but a fun fact about the scene is that the script said "The Terminator shows up, looking like he's in dire need of a vacation" and Arnold went one step further and ad-libbed the "I need a vacation" line when the cameras were rolling. Cameron laughed so he kept it in the movie to the chagrin of co-writer William Wisher.

I've never had a problem with that line, the context for it is there.

Granted I have very few nits to pick with T2. Only thing I don't get is why the T-800 would not know what crying was and need to have it explained why it happens. If he has detailed files on the human anatomy why wouldn't he know about tear ducts and why wouldn't he be familiar with the concept of emotional distress?

"Would you please sign in ?" (Speed , 1994)

A reference to those 50s/60s show where they had blindfolds and had to guess the celebs

I wouldn't have gotten that. I watched Speed again the other night, still a very good actioner.

Batman Returns:

Catwoman: "I am woman, hear me roar."

Modern audiences: "Wait why is a villain saying that, isn't that Captain Marvel's mantra?"

lol

Only thing I don't get is why the T-800 would not know what crying was and need to have it explained why it happens. If he has detailed files on the human anatomy why wouldn't he know about tear ducts and why wouldn't he be familiar with the concept of emotional distress?

His neutral net processor (learning computer) is set to read only by skynet, so he can mimic and "learn" on a limited basis, but he's essentially a parrot, with no real understanding of what it is to be human. So even though he has detailed files of the human anatomy, that information is there to primarily make a more efficient killer. His knowledge and understanding is very limited.

I guess after the T 800 is "killed" by the T-1000, and he's forced to use the alternate power cell, he finally has access to understanding emotional distress, and why he says, "I know why you cry." He's self-aware, understands emotions and what causes the tears beyond a physical level, but he unlike John, has no way of crying. He could probably mimic it tho in the read only setting.

When he first asked John, "What's wrong with your eyes?", he probably asked him because he knows humans have a gland that produces tears, but only on a basic physical level. And since John was no hurt physically, he was curious as to why his eyes looked that way. Joh later tries to explain to the T 800 the same thing, but he still didn't get it beyond the physical/human anatomy.

Both Animal House and House of Games did variations of Oliver Twist's "Please sir, may I have some more?". I'm guessing few of the latest generation even know who Charles Dickens was, so the odds are pretty low that they would recognize when his work was referenced.

Does "everyone" know references to the movie The Omen re the book Good Omens and the ongoing series? Tho that's only one thing the book parodies (I asked a British citizen once about the M25 in London, which re the book LOL was created by a demon in the shape of a satanic symbol:cool:. All he did was laugh at the reference). But we have U.S. roads that am pretty sure are maintained by demons too. Esp. the dark lords of potholes and the satanic leaders of the county council who promise to fix.:devil

Does "Don't leave home with out it" in Batman 89 count?

Also...

tumblr_pq1cesbvig1rrkahjo1_540.gifv

tumblr_pq1cesbvig1rrkahjo2_540.gifv

Back