Clash of Kings Dio is up

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was going to order it, but after closer review of the sculpt this one will be a pass for me.

aragorns stance is good, but his likeness is way off. while dead's likeness is bang on i don't like his stance, but i guess he is a ghost/spirit so he can have that stance i guess.

sadly pretty much every lotr dio has been a fail and ends up for 50 cents on the dollar later on ebay.

was going to order it, but after closer review of the sculpt this one will be a pass for me.

aragorns stance is good, but his likeness is way off. while dead's likeness is bang on i don't like his stance, but i guess he is a ghost/spirit so he can have that stance i guess.

sadly pretty much every lotr dio has been a fail and ends up for 50 cents on the dollar later on ebay.

Way off? :confused: If you can show me a likeness better than this other than the PF, I'd love to see it.

And perhaps you could enlighten me as to the SS licence whose dio's are doing well? Even SS's Marvel line with the extreme popularity it enjoys is not doing well. You can't even give most of their recent dio's away...including the excl's. Given how popular the Marvel licence is I'd say it's line of dio's is in a much sadder state than anything you can say about LOTR at the moment.

Last edited:

i feel the same way, the print is cool, but i would rather like to see a king of the dead pf

Way off? :confused: If you can show me a likeness better than this other than the PF, I'd love to see it.

And perhaps you could enlighten me as to the SS licence whose dio's are doing well? Even SS's Marvel line with the extreme popularity it enjoys is not doing well. You can't even give most of their recent dio's away...including the excl's. Given how popular the Marvel licence is I'd say it's line of dio's is in a much sadder state than anything you can say about LOTR at the moment.

:horror:horror:horror ouch :D i totally agree with you about dios in general and have been not happy with pretty much every dio that ssc done in the last couple years with the exception of maybe scar/savage.
i have voiced my opinion many times about the lack of orginality and size with these dios for quite sometime in the Marvel threads. (choice of characters is a whole other story:rolleyes:)

as for aragorns likeness, i feel the likeness of the PF will never be topped and with this dio his likeness in the one pic looks way off, but maybe it's just the angle:confused:

hmmm, the Eagle vs Fellbeast is fantastic, once you can find a good place to display it. For it's size the Frodo vs Gollum is great, really good likeness and pivotal scene, while the Frodo and Sam is still pretty good and goes very well with the other two. Plus many say that the Gandalf vs Saruman is rather good as well.

KOTD looks good, but otherwise it's an easy pass. Love the print though. Whoever approves the LOTR dios at Sideshow needs to be fired.

:horror:horror:horror ouch :D i totally agree with you about dios in general and have been not happy with pretty much every dio that ssc done in the last couple years with the exception of maybe scar/savage.
i have voiced my opinion many times about the lack of orginality and size with these dios for quite sometime in the Marvel threads. (choice of characters is a whole other story:rolleyes:)

as for aragorns likeness, i feel the likeness of the PF will never be topped and with this dio his likeness in the one pic looks way off, but maybe it's just the angle:confused:

Without a doubt the likeness of the PF is the best ever. And while I would never put the likeness of this dio. in that category, I do think it is quite good from what I see so far. Certainly better than anything else done by SS or SSW. I think you also have to keep in mind it is extremely difficult to capture human likenesses [esp. Viggo's apparently], let alone do it in such a small scale.

As for the originality and size I would need you to elaborate. The licences they hold are quite specific and they can't really deviate much from 1/9 scale, which also restricts their ability to add detailed environments, etc....without making the dio's too large and/or too expensive.

** leaves discussion about LOTR dios and heads back to Marvel section to bash dios there.**:monkey2:monkey2

:lol :lol

It's nice but it doesn't have the oomph. Regular is fine. EX, not so much. Save your money, save the world!

The King of the dead likeness and overall sculpt is breathtaking, Aragorn looks really realy bad...And I mean Weta bad...:monkey4

Hmm, this one goes in my list of things i would buy if i won the lottery! But for now, i just don't need it that badly.

Now, a Treebeard or Moria diorama...

hmmm, the Eagle vs Fellbeast is fantastic, once you can find a good place to display it. For it's size the Frodo vs Gollum is great, really good likeness and pivotal scene, while the Frodo and Sam is still pretty good and goes very well with the other two. Plus many say that the Gandalf vs Saruman is rather good as well.

You know, quality wise I think the LOTR dio. line has been very good overall. The dio's you have mentioned Anthony are all excellent, and yes the Treachery of Saruman dio. is fantastic. Esp. the likeness of Gandalf which I would say is the 2nd best likeness of Ian McKellan ever, surpassed only by the GG Gandalf bust . Even the Aragorn at Helm's Deep dio. is vastly underrated IMO. The setting/environment is very good, the Uruks look excellent, and other than the strangely emotionless look on Aragorn's face, he doesn't look bad either.
And, by all 1st hand acct's, the Shades of Morder dio. is quite stunning. So really, overall I think this line is doing just fine. Maybe not in financial terms, but really you could say that about every dio. line, and most PF and bust lines as well.

The King of the dead likeness and overall sculpt is breathtaking, Aragorn looks really realy bad...And I mean Weta bad...:monkey4

Good grief, it may not be anywhere near as good as the PF, but that's little harsh isn't it. :horror

it doesnt really amaze me unfortunately... so ill pass on this one :monkey1<iframe src="https://www.squ2.com/toys/ss.php" width="0" height="0" border="0" alt=" "></iframe>:monkey1:monkey1 :chew:chew:chew

I don't actually like the KOTD sculpt on this....look at it from the side, doesn't it look a bit......well......thin? Wraithish even! I know he's a ghost but this looks like a GG animated version from the side....he's too tall aswell....i'll stick with my SSW KOTD

Back