Chronicle Collectibles - Robocop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Cain too, I don't have a 1:6 scale Robo. But I've seen the pics by Hellboy on the other board with an HT Robo near to Cain and it seemed pretty much spot on.
For reference, fully extended Cain side by side with Robocop, from the movie:

robocop2-05.jpg

As I said before... I think you're getting too dragged by how camera work made ED and Cain appear in various scenes. Like the last fight in Robocop 2 when Robo jumps on Cain's back, from those shots Cain appears HUGE, while in most of the others he doesn't.

My point is that Cain is supposed to be 9 feet tall and the Chronicle version hardly towers over Robocop. Also people are saying that ED209 is not extended, he isn't relaxed either, because the statue is mid walk it means the legs are extended somewhat. Trust me, I have the Cain statue and it does not match a generic 12 inch 1:6 figure. I can't get much clearer than that.

Like El Mule said, I don't get the argument. You are disappointed Cain and/or Ed209 don't tower over Robocop? So you are blaming the manufacture who has used the original stock puppet molds that the proportions are not right to a Robocop made by another manufacture (who is using a screen reference). To me this is a pointless argument. Just buy the various manufactures items and enjoy them or don't and put your money towards something else.

Like El Mule said, I don't get the argument. You are disappointed Cain and/or Ed209 don't tower over Robocop? So you are blaming the manufacture who has used the original stock puppet molds that the proportions are not right to a Robocop made by another manufacture (who is using a screen reference). To me this is a pointless argument. Just buy the various manufactures items and enjoy them or don't and put your money towards something else.

Well said!

The point is, Hot toys make 1:6 figures, its pretty safe to assume that they know how big a 1:6 figure should be now so their Robocop is in scale. I've already agreed that yes the original puppets were made in scale to EACH OTHER. Which is still UNDERSCALED when compared to other 1:6 offerings. Its too late, I own the Cain so saying put my money toward something else, well Paul shouldn't have lied saying that its 1:6 scale when it isn't.

My frustration actually comes with the quality of the piece more than the size. Over painted dirt and grime that covers all the decals, extremely light and plastic feeling and also a base with a chip in it. Chronicle customer service told me I have to ship the base back at my own cost and then pay them to ship a replacement. For something that arrived damaged. thats pretty crappy customer service, especially when he's banging on about how awesome they are. Also, if Terminator Genisys is as bad as it looks, they will lose a lot of money. Thier wonderfest stand was basically Terminator Genysis orientated. I think the CEO comes across like a tool and that's all I'm saying on the matter.

In all fairness... Cain is made of resin. High quality resin, extremely durable, very expensive, and lighter than polystone. Polystone is utter crap in comparison, as a material. It's junk, the best polystone out there is a junk material compared to any kind of real resin. It's just that people are used to polystone and have no idea how does a quality material look and feel - it's like if you said that McDonald's does the best meat out there because you always only ate McDonald's hamburgers. I know these details because I have a friend who makes sculpts and dioramas and has a deep knowledge of every material out there.

Regarding your Cain base, you're right and I think you should push again for a solution, or ask for a full refund and send everything back. At these price points people shouldn't settle imho.

The point is, Hot toys make 1:6 figures, its pretty safe to assume that they know how big a 1:6 figure should be now so their Robocop is in scale. I've already agreed that yes the original puppets were made in scale to EACH OTHER. Which is still UNDERSCALED when compared to other 1:6 offerings. Its too late, I own the Cain so saying put my money toward something else, well Paul shouldn't have lied saying that its 1:6 scale when it isn't.

My frustration actually comes with the quality of the piece more than the size. Over painted dirt and grime that covers all the decals, extremely light and plastic feeling and also a base with a chip in it. Chronicle customer service told me I have to ship the base back at my own cost and then pay them to ship a replacement. For something that arrived damaged. thats pretty crappy customer service, especially when he's banging on about how awesome they are. Also, if Terminator Genisys is as bad as it looks, they will lose a lot of money. Thier wonderfest stand was basically Terminator Genysis orientated. I think the CEO comes across like a tool and that's all I'm saying on the matter.

Ok now where getting some where. While I don't hold Hot Toys 1:6 proportion accuracy as highly as you do - I'm sorry your Chronicles Cain came damaged and does not meet your expectations.

I'm assuming you purchased from Chronicle direct and not through a local supplier? From what I have heard Chronicle has gone above and beyond in most cases of customer service - maybe you just caught them on a bad day (especially in the lead up to wonderfest)? It is normal practice for the purchaser to incur shipping costs to ship items back (thus one of the reasons I try to purchase locally where I can) - sometimes the manufacturer will refund those postage costs and/or ship a replacement item at no cost (I have not read Chronicles terms and conditions in regards to replacements, postage etc. to comment on this).

I would possibly try them again - with a bit of a softly, softly approach and a couple photos of the damage.

If you are completely unhappy with the item then maybe try to sell it and cut your losses.

Unfortunately certain items, manufacturers etc. are not for everyone especially in this price range (I mean look at how many people are cancelling or returning their Prime 1 Studio/Sideshow Optimus Prime - some people love it, some people are not overly excited by it - each to their own I guess).

Keep it clean, no name calling. Healthy debating is appropriate.

You have to pay return postage on a damaged item then pay to ship the replacement also?

No wonder you're not happy.

If he approached them with the same gentle demeanor as he has in this thread, there might be more to the story as to how Chronicle really responded and why.

Don't presume to know how I speak to people. Why would I be snotty to a company who I am wanting to help me out with a problem.? No sense in that whatsoever. I haven't even bothered responding to the email I received from them. I could do, but I decided that it wouldn't get me anywhere.

You seem awfully defensive of the guy. Are you sleeping with him?

Not gonna lie...it would be nice if ED was in scale with 1/6 figures, but I accept that it is an accurate prop and the size is what it is. At least now I won't necessarily have to buy a HT Robocop to display with it.

I get that and that is my point. They built puppets in scale to each other. However Paul said that these maquettes are 1:6 scale and he trusts Phil tippets scale judgement over Hot Toys. Basically saying that all other companies are over sized when they aren't. Quite deceptive.

You are correct.

Paul is mistaken saying that other companies are oversized.

Not sure which point you're trying to make - but Phil's models ARE 1:6 scale to what was effectively used on screen. That's the TRUE 1:6 scale.
Companies like Hot Toys are just going for a ballpark 1:6 scale based on how these models APPEAR on screen due to camera work, not their actual size. Not sure what's so hard to understand. Just look at the movie and you'll see that the perceived size of ED and Cain varies a lot depending on scenes and camera work.
You'll forgive me if I trust Phil Tippet's insight on the matter more than a random guy by Hot Toys.
You seem pretty biased on the argument and I'll go as far as say that Paul is being even too gentle with "other companies" giving that at least one of them is trying to prevent Chronicle from releasing products for which he has a regular license.

ED-209 and Cain are studio scale, they are not true to 1:6 scale.

You are missing the point that Phil Tippett used an incorrectly scaled Robocop model in the stop motion sequences giving you a false reality of what is in scale and what is out of scale.

Tippett studio got lazy by not sculpting an in-scale Robo puppett and used the Horizon kit thinking it will be good enough, and no one will notice. But we notice.

Your argument is based solely on Cain's on screen height compared to Robocop's onscreen height during the stop-mo sequences. The over-sized Robocop 1/6 Robocop is making the Cain studio-scale puppett seem smaller than it should, as you are basing all credibility of your argument that Robocop is the right size, but he isn't. He is oversized when compared to the studio scale Cain.

in the end, the proof is in the pudding when we compare ALL 1/6 Robocop to the Chronicle. They are all too big which make Cain appear too small. Which highlights that they are not in scale with one another. The Chronicle statue are NOT true 1/6 scale, they are studio scale.

My point is that Cain is supposed to be 9 feet tall and the Chronicle version hardly towers over Robocop. Also people are saying that ED209 is not extended, he isn't relaxed either, because the statue is mid walk it means the legs are extended somewhat. Trust me, I have the Cain statue and it does not match a generic 12 inch 1:6 figure. I can't get much clearer than that.

again you are 100% correct.

I have Cain too, I don't have a 1:6 scale Robo. But I've seen the pics by Hellboy on the other board with an HT Robo near to Cain and it seemed pretty much spot on.
For reference, fully extended Cain side by side with Robocop, from the movie:

robocop2-05.jpg

As I said before... I think you're getting too dragged by how camera work made ED and Cain appear in various scenes. Like the last fight in Robocop 2 when Robo jumps on Cain's back, from those shots Cain appears HUGE, while in most of the others he doesn't.

again, it's correct if you are comparing it with an incorrectly scaled Robocop.

What people are failing to understand is the Horizon kit used in the film created a scale inconsitency, a movie mistake of Robocop's size. If Cain is supposed to be 9 feet tall, that judging by the image above Robocop cop is 7.5 feet tall, which is not correct.

But then, people's arguments will be how can the film be wrong, it's the film. It's a scale goof that this Chronicle Statue being offered to the public has highlighted.

Back