Premium Format Christopher Reeve Superman the Movie Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont care what anybody says but this statue is awesome. From front on to right side this is the best reeve statue ever.I truly love this piece. Im not completely satisfied with cape or base but the sculpt and the suit are superb imo. I cant stop looking at it. There have been many good arguments for me to shun this piece but i can not. Pics do not do this justice. I figured id have to post something positive amongst all the hate. Sorry.....i love it!!

I do, too. Whenever I get to the point where I'll need to sell off any of these statues, it will be one of the last to go (of course, it will probably end up being worth the least, but even if it wasn't...). While the HT head sculpt was superior, I still prefer the overall Sideshow statue to the HT figure. And, really, if I'm ranking the Reeve likenesses on the figures-to-date, this is easily coming in second for me. I know that's not saying much given the non-HT releases so far.

I dont care what anybody says but this statue is awesome. From front on to right side this is the best reeve statue ever.I truly love this piece. Im not completely satisfied with cape or base but the sculpt and the suit are superb imo. I cant stop looking at it. There have been many good arguments for me to shun this piece but i can not. Pics do not do this justice. I figured id have to post something positive amongst all the hate. Sorry.....i love it!!

That's how I feel as well. Got him yesterday and couldn't be more excited. Looks awesome in hand. My only issue is the bottom of the cape (just like in everyone's PF I guess), but whatever. I can look past it. My emblem actually turned out pretty awesome looking too. Once I've set up the display and get him out of the box, I'll post a picture of it.

That's how I feel as well. Got him yesterday and couldn't be more excited. Looks awesome in hand. My only issue is the bottom of the cape (just like in everyone's PF I guess), but whatever. I can look past it. My emblem actually turned out pretty awesome looking too. Once I've set up the display and get him out of the box, I'll post a picture of it.

+1 for the cape-hem-is-amateur-but-otherwise-quite-impressed-with-Reeve-PF group! I'm very pleased with how this turned out. I think a few 1/32" disk magnets will help solidify the base & water elements. If I can get it to work as I plan, I'll post photos.

Extracts taken from a much longer (1700 word review I penned) on the Chris Reeve PF.

So after a few days of sweating over the unopened box I finally got around to opening and inspecting my Chris Reeve Superman PF EX 100/500.

PROS – Thankfully mine came in undamaged and everything fits together without any issues. The construction of the individual pieces by themselves is sound enough.

Upon opening the box the standout is without a doubt the costume. The suit is very well tailored and fits the body beautifully. The blue really pops (I think it looks better than the comic PF) and is fitted very well over the poly and PVC body sculpt – no Batman PF pit-gate here. The sculpted boots also look excellent with some nice detailing and are painted to match the red cloth sections almost perfectly. I do like that SS did sew into the costume the ‘S’ shield, it directly references the on-screen costume and is in proportion to the ‘S’ as worn by Chris Reeve. I think if SS had gone another way, transfer or moulded glue on ‘S’ shield sans the comic PF, folks might have been even further annoyed because it didn't match the on-screen suit.

People have complained vigorously about the head sculpt, but there is no doubt who this is. A perfect representation, no… but very nice all the same. The expression is more than reasonable as it reminds one of the scene where Superman, after having averted the town from being flooded, hears Lois dying in her car as it fills with dirt, rocks etc. There is a very staid expression in this small scene (a push in on his face that only lasts a few seconds) and it reminds me very much of this moment, one that also fits the Hoover Dam theme of the PF.

CONS – After going through the item two phrases come to mind in relation to this piece – ‘cost cutting’ and ‘lack of attention to detail’. All the issues that this piece experience come from a combination of the aforementioned. I wonder if this ‘cost cutting’ and ‘lack of attention to detail’ was a result of the initial very poor reception the piece received which was then re-enforced by poor PO numbers or whether it was always planned to be thus?

The base has only three small rubber pads on the bottom to offer some stability, which greatly contributes to the leaning and wobbling issues folks have experienced. The triangular rubber pad pattern leaves huge gaps of base between the tiny pads - this allows the piece to wobble between the rubber pads even without the rest of the base or statue placed upon it. I put several larger pads (eventually settled with 4) on the bottom of the base and wouldn't you know it the wobbling stops – for the lack of a few decent sized rubber pads one issue could have been addressed - this is simply cheapness on SS’s and the factories part.

While the dam and water sections look fine how they fit together is another story. A simple single rectangular block key for the two dam sections and small rectangular keys + housings for the water are simply not enough nor good enough. They are each very easy to remove or dislodge from these housings. Three pairs of decent magnets and the problem wouldn't exist – it was the cheapest option taken with scant attention paid to the end result and the obvious connection issues that exist in these pieces.

The suit is probably the best part of the piece but for the cape. Again cheapness and lack of attention to detail. All that was required was the hem be turned over and sewn along the bottom – something that was done down the sides. Why it wasn't done along the bottom of the cape I have no idea – perhaps to save a few minutes (as that is all it would take to correct this issue) and a few dollars.

After all this I fully intend to keep the piece. Yes, I really do! For all its faults (some of which can or rather should have been easily rectified) I really like it and I’m sure when I finish re-modelling him he will look great. Considering the poor reaction and reception to this piece I highly doubt SS will revisit Chris Reeve any time soon - if ever - especially so if this sits in the warehouse for a long period of time, and as I write this the EX is back in stock – not a good sign that SS could not even move 500 of these. Have I been blinded by nostalgia… I’ll let you, the reader, be the judge of that.

Lastly, the legacy of Chris Reeve was one of being and staying positive in the face of adversity – and so I take on the same attitude with this piece – it’s far from perfect but I remain positive that through a few simple (and some not so simple) changes I can make good of this piece and he can take pride of place in my collection. Thanks for reading and again sorry for the length (But the real review was at least twice as long)!

didnt_read_dance_gif.gif

Extracts taken from a much longer (1700 word review I penned) on the Chris Reeve PF.

So after a few days of sweating over the unopened box I finally got around to opening and inspecting my Chris Reeve Superman PF EX 100/500.

PROS – Thankfully mine came in undamaged and everything fits together without any issues. The construction of the individual pieces by themselves is sound enough.

Upon opening the box the standout is without a doubt the costume. The suit is very well tailored and fits the body beautifully. The blue really pops (I think it looks better than the comic PF) and is fitted very well over the poly and PVC body sculpt – no Batman PF pit-gate here. The sculpted boots also look excellent with some nice detailing and are painted to match the red cloth sections almost perfectly. I do like that SS did sew into the costume the ‘S’ shield, it directly references the on-screen costume and is in proportion to the ‘S’ as worn by Chris Reeve. I think if SS had gone another way, transfer or moulded glue on ‘S’ shield sans the comic PF, folks might have been even further annoyed because it didn't match the on-screen suit.

People have complained vigorously about the head sculpt, but there is no doubt who this is. A perfect representation, no… but very nice all the same. The expression is more than reasonable as it reminds one of the scene where Superman, after having averted the town from being flooded, hears Lois dying in her car as it fills with dirt, rocks etc. There is a very staid expression in this small scene (a push in on his face that only lasts a few seconds) and it reminds me very much of this moment, one that also fits the Hoover Dam theme of the PF.

CONS – After going through the item two phrases come to mind in relation to this piece – ‘cost cutting’ and ‘lack of attention to detail’. All the issues that this piece experience come from a combination of the aforementioned. I wonder if this ‘cost cutting’ and ‘lack of attention to detail’ was a result of the initial very poor reception the piece received which was then re-enforced by poor PO numbers or whether it was always planned to be thus?

The base has only three small rubber pads on the bottom to offer some stability, which greatly contributes to the leaning and wobbling issues folks have experienced. The triangular rubber pad pattern leaves huge gaps of base between the tiny pads - this allows the piece to wobble between the rubber pads even without the rest of the base or statue placed upon it. I put several larger pads (eventually settled with 4) on the bottom of the base and wouldn't you know it the wobbling stops – for the lack of a few decent sized rubber pads one issue could have been addressed - this is simply cheapness on SS’s and the factories part.

While the dam and water sections look fine how they fit together is another story. A simple single rectangular block key for the two dam sections and small rectangular keys + housings for the water are simply not enough nor good enough. They are each very easy to remove or dislodge from these housings. Three pairs of decent magnets and the problem wouldn't exist – it was the cheapest option taken with scant attention paid to the end result and the obvious connection issues that exist in these pieces.

The suit is probably the best part of the piece but for the cape. Again cheapness and lack of attention to detail. All that was required was the hem be turned over and sewn along the bottom – something that was done down the sides. Why it wasn't done along the bottom of the cape I have no idea – perhaps to save a few minutes (as that is all it would take to correct this issue) and a few dollars.

After all this I fully intend to keep the piece. Yes, I really do! For all its faults (some of which can or rather should have been easily rectified) I really like it and I’m sure when I finish re-modelling him he will look great. Considering the poor reaction and reception to this piece I highly doubt SS will revisit Chris Reeve any time soon - if ever - especially so if this sits in the warehouse for a long period of time, and as I write this the EX is back in stock – not a good sign that SS could not even move 500 of these. Have I been blinded by nostalgia… I’ll let you, the reader, be the judge of that.

Lastly, the legacy of Chris Reeve was one of being and staying positive in the face of adversity – and so I take on the same attitude with this piece – it’s far from perfect but I remain positive that through a few simple (and some not so simple) changes I can make good of this piece and he can take pride of place in my collection. Thanks for reading and again sorry for the length (But the real review was at least twice as long)!

Nice review... Glad you are happy with it overall.

After watching in hand vids I can no longer be In the "this is the worst piece ever" camp... I think the head sculpt looks nice and the pose is not as bad as I initially thought (still don't love it).... The cape and base are awful... The fact the base is not heavy and that it leans is unforgivable..

But If I could stumble on one for half price... I would buy it. :)

Now would I keep it is an entirely different story... I am more curious to see it in person then anything...

After watching in hand vids I can no longer be In the "this is the worst piece ever" camp... I think the head sculpt looks nice and the pose is not as bad as I initially thought (still don't love it).... The cape and base are awful... The fact the base is not heavy and that it leans is unforgivable..

But If I could stumble on one for half price... I would buy it. :)

Now would I keep it is an entirely different story... I am more curious to see it in person then anything...

Yeah, the "worst statue ever" mantra has been blown way out of proportion. It has it's issues but it's not anywhere near the train-wreck some people are making it out to be. The good news is that there are probably enough people with that attitude that you will probably be able to find this at a discount at some point :lol

Yeah, the "worst statue ever" mantra has been blown way out of proportion. It has it's issues but it's not anywhere near the train-wreck some people are making it out to be. The good news is that there are probably enough people with that attitude that you will probably be able to find this at a discount at some point :lol

Worst statue ever? No not at all, more then enough problems for me to send it back though.

Thanks for reading, I'll make some small and large changes (lower metal base for one, get the cape hem done correctly) and he'll be just fine :hi5:

Please post pics after the changes. Very curious too see the outcome.

I love mine. Maybe I'm also easier to please than most people here. Yes, should have been way better with proper QC on the S insignia, cape and a heavier base but definitely not Sideshow's worst in my opinion.

17207584932_0d82e2f619_c.jpg

17183306926_eca3b73bf4_c.jpg

Please post pics after the changes. Very curious too see the outcome.

I love mine. Maybe I'm also easier to please than most people here. Yes, should have been way better with proper QC on the S insignia, cape and a heavier base but definitely not Sideshow's worst in my opinion.

Definitely not worst, by a long shot. Folks really need to see it in-hand before judging. The SS preview pics still look dreadful, but in-hand he looks quite nice.

I certainly will post pics. Base may take some time as my old man will be making that up, but I'll be doing the cape hem quite soon and will let folks know how things turn out. Still trying to work out how to get the dam pieces to better hold together. As I wrote earlier, simply putting 4 decent sized rubber pads on the current base stopped the wobble and leaning, it will do until the custom base gets done.

Nice pics by the way, love how you have the cape posed, best I've seen so far. Might try it myself :)

Back