Christian Bale vs. Robert Downey Jr.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's the better actor?

• Total voters
Who are you referring to? I think they are both great actors. But Bale wins for me based on his more dramatic performances and extreme dedication to his roles. Hell, he should win just based on The Machinist alone.

That role was basically look at the insanely thin guy who's depressed as hell. Crazy for what it was, but a one note performance. He doesn't have all the extra gears that Downey does. American Psycho is by far his best work because he got to mix it up with the humor and horror. His Bruce Wayne was alright but his Batman was merely a more pissed off Bruce Wayne. Keaton had more gears and developed different personalities for both.

Bale is blessed and cursed with the leading actor look. I think he's very conscious about it and perhaps abit uncomfortable relying on it so he overcompensates on intensity when I think he should work on accessibility. I think that intense stoic personality he has lends a certain remoteness to his performances which keeps him from resonating as much as an actor like RDJ can do without breaking a sweat.

I have to go with BALE from Movies like HARSH TIMES a must SEE! TO other movies like The fighter ,AMERICAN PSCYCHO ,and 1st 2 batman movies. I almost say a TIE because Downey is a EXCELENT IRONMAN while Bales voice is laughable as batman. They both have good range from Downey in Tropic Thunder has come a long way from WEARD SCIENCE , Back to school to a flawless billionair ironman and crazy reporter in NATURAL BORN KILLERS. I would say pretty much a tie in my mind ,But voted for bale for performance in harsh times and american pchyco puts him ahead. Defnitley recomend movie with RDJ IN CHARLIE BARTLET a very funny movie.

Last edited:
They're both probably on par with each other. But to pick I'd say Chrsitan Bale by a nose. Empire of the Sun gives him the edge.

I think both portray their respective characters tremendously well but I'm gonna go with Downey Jr on this one. I LOVE the way he portrays Stark. They picked the perfect guy for that role. I think Bale is also a great actor but some of his other roles show that more than is portrayal as Wayne I think....American Psycho for example.

:goodpost::exactly:

RDJ is talented and a character himself- but he's basically playing himself in the IM films!

Yeh because he has only ever played the IM role :slap

The OP...
'Who's the better actor? Regardless of the heroes they portrayed, or what you think of the films they've been in, who do you think has the stronger acting abilities?'

Last edited:
I think there are different ways you can examine the effectiveness of an actor, and to me, it's analogous of comparing musicians. B.B. King is considered one of the greatest musicians of modern times. But he lacks technical skill, and mostly does variations on a theme. He achieves this status because he was an innovator, and more importantly, because his art connects with and moves people. Another guitarist--Pat Metheny--is incredibly technically gifted, and can play a wider variety of music than probably anyone else on that instrument. But does his music connect with as many people as B.B. King? Does he provide the same level of genuine emotional depth? That's debatable.

I think the same kind of argument can be had here, and it's really pretty short-sighted to argue that someone like RDJ can't even be considered alongside Bale because he doesn't appeal to the same critical audiences. Downey is extremely good at what he does.

Who are you referring to? I think they are both great actors. But Bale wins for me based on his more dramatic performances and extreme dedication to his roles. Hell, he should win just based on The Machinist alone.

Extreme dedication doesn't make him the better actor. Joe Montana > Rudy.

Losing or gaining weight or changing physiques is commendable but doesn't inherently translate to better acting chops. Unless you think Keanu Reeves, Linda Hamilton, or Tobey Maquire are all better actors than Daniel Day Lewis just because they went through some crazy workout regimens for certain roles.

Bale is a *great* actor but I've seen him slip ever so slightly (usually when with regard to his native accent) every so often and I have yet to see that with RDJ.

Dedication definitely isn't the end-all, be-all in my book. Just like any other walk of life, you're going to have some who are gifted in some fashion and don't have to work as hard to be good as others. That doesn't mean those who are gifted don't deserve credit for the good work they may do, nor, like Khev says, does it mean those who slavishly devote themselves will necessarily do good work at all.

Extreme dedication doesn't make him the better actor. Joe Montana > Rudy.

Losing or gaining weight or changing physiques is commendable but doesn't inherently translate to better acting chops. Unless you think Keanu Reeves, Linda Hamilton, or Tobey Maquire are all better actors than Daniel Day Lewis just because they went through some crazy workout regimens for certain roles.

Bale is a *great* actor but I've seen him slip ever so slightly (usually when with regard to his native accent) every so often and I have yet to see that with RDJ.

Outside of a couple of things like Chaplin and Tropic Thunder, where has RDJ ever tried anything outside the realm of a manic, sarcastic RDJ archetype? Bale's commitment to his roles goes past the physical and it shows in his performances. He brings characters to life. RDJ is RDJ, and that's about all he's got going. For Pete's sake, the guy's basically phoned in Iron Man for the past 3 films.

Outside of a couple of things like Chaplin and Tropic Thunder, where has RDJ ever tried anything outside the realm of a manic, sarcastic RDJ archetype? Bale's commitment to his roles goes past the physical and it shows in his performances. He brings characters to life. RDJ is RDJ, and that's about all he's got going. For Pete's sake, the guy's basically phoned in Iron Man for the past 3 films.

Start a thread asking for peoples opinions, add a poll then...

Shoot down any opinion you don't agree with? Nice!

Should of just done a 'I love Christian Bale' thread :lol

That role was basically look at the insanely thin guy who's depressed as hell. Crazy for what it was, but a one note performance. He doesn't have all the extra gears that Downey does. American Psycho is by far his best work because he got to mix it up with the humor and horror. His Bruce Wayne was alright but his Batman was merely a more pissed off Bruce Wayne. Keaton had more gears and developed different personalities for both.

Bale is blessed and cursed with the leading actor look. I think he's very conscious about it and perhaps abit uncomfortable relying on it so he overcompensates on intensity when I think he should work on accessibility. I think that intense stoic personality he has lends a certain remoteness to his performances which keeps him from resonating as much as an actor like RDJ can do without breaking a sweat.

I just used the The Machinist as an example. And no the role wasn't at all a "one note" performance. There was a lot more to it than just "look at the insane guy who's depressed." :dunno

The Fighter
Empire of the Sun
American Psycho
Rescue Dawn
Harsh Times
3:10 to Yuma
The prestige

That's a VERY DIVERSE acting range. RDJ doesn't even come close.

Heart and Souls, Sherlock Holmes.

Start a thread asking for peoples opinions, add a poll then...

Shoot down any opinion you don't agree with? Nice!

Should of just done a 'I love Christian Bale' thread :lol

I did ask for people's opinions. That being said, I never said I wouldn't share mine, and I hardly see how my sharing said opinion equates to shooting others' down. If you want to target people's biases, I could say that your sig makes it pretty clear that you think this should be an "I love RDJ thread."

I did ask for people's opinions. That being said, I never said I wouldn't share mine, and I hardly see how my sharing said opinion equates to shooting others' down. If you want to target people's biases, I could say that your sig makes it pretty clear that you think this should be an "I love RDJ thread."

I didn't, nor would ever, start the thread :lecture :wink1:

Back