Christian Bale vs. Robert Downey Jr.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's the better actor?

• Total voters
RDJ has reached the point where he doesn't even have to act anymore. People pay him millions just to be himself. He's joined the Samuel L Jackson club, along with Johnny Depp.

Why has TROPIC THUNDER not been mentioned?

RDJ got nominated for playing an Australian actor playing a Black guy!

tumblr_lxp9d3xp5w1r52g5xo1_500.jpg

It's tough to compare these guys too much. Bale has thrown more physicality into his roles as far as starving himself or getting pumped, but Downey throws more character into his roles. Compared to Downey, Bale comes off a bit flat-footed. Bale might just need more movies outside of Batman to really let him grow as an actor. For Robert, Iron Man is icing on the cake after years of personal and professional hell which in turn followed some really impressive performances that weren't out to make big bucks.

Chaplin is indeed one hell of a performance that Bale has yet to equal as an actor yet.

With a couple of exceptions for both guys (Patrick Bateman and Charlie Chaplin particularly), both of them tend to play variations of the same character over and over. Bale has "deeper," more dramatic roles in general I guess, but RDJ has more charisma and humor. I'm not sure either has a clear advantage, since both have strengths and weaknesses.
I agree with this -- but... I thought Bale was very good in the Prestige, even if he was nothing special in the Nolan trilogy (though he carried it off very well, aside from his annoying 'Bat voice'). For that reason, he just barely carries it for me since RDJ has done nothing of note for maybe 20 years aside from Iron Man.

RDJ has reached the point where he doesn't even have to act anymore. People pay him millions just to be himself. He's joined the Samuel L Jackson club, along with Johnny Depp.
I hate Johnny Depp's roles for this reason. He's a very talented actor and I'd have like'd to see him really push himself, but he got lazy.

...Chaplin is indeed one hell of a performance that Bale has yet to equal as an actor yet.
Edit: Although, burn... have never seen Chaplin. I won't vote either way, then!

Last edited:
Only on SS freaks would RDJ be beating Christian Bale in a "who's the better actor?" poll. :slap :lol

RDJ is a competent actor who has done very good work, like Chaplin and Tropic Thunder.

Bale on the other hand is a chameleon or a shapeshifter. He literally transforms himself with each role. Not just The Machinist, but look at him in The Fighter, to me, every part of him changed to fit that character, to the point of feeling repulsion and pity. The way he acted, the way his body moved, his muscular tics, the look in his eyes, and the look of internal decay about him screamed of someone who had been a crackhead for years. I just dont think RDJ could have done that role as convincingly, even though he practically lived it. (addiction-wise, that is)

Only on SS freaks would RDJ be beating Christian Bale in a "who's the better actor?" poll. :slap :lol

:lol ... as thinking the same thing.
Kinda supports the current state of cinema argument ... :monkey1...

RDJ is a competent actor who has done very good work, like Chaplin and Tropic Thunder.

Bale on the other hand is a chameleon or a shapeshifter. He literally transforms himself with each role. Not just The Machinist, but look at him in The Fighter, to me, every part of him changed to fit that character, to the point of feeling repulsion and pity. The way he acted, the way his body moved, his muscular tics, the look in his eyes, and the look of internal decay about him screamed of someone who had been a crackhead for years. I just dont think RDJ could have done that role as convincingly, even though he practically lived it. (addiction-wise, that is)

:goodpost::exactly:

I'm a diehard Batman and DC fan but I never liked Bale as Batman. I never liked Iron Man but I thought that RDjr was such great casting.

I'll take RDJ in this battle. Just think he's a bit better but Bale ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Only on SS Freaks would a twice Oscar nominated actor be dismissed as nothing more than a fanboy favorite. :slap

Who are you referring to? I think they are both great actors. But Bale wins for me based on his more dramatic performances and extreme dedication to his roles. Hell, he should win just based on The Machinist alone.

Back