Christian Bale vs. Robert Downey Jr.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's the better actor?

• Total voters
Iron Man fanatic here and I voted for Christian Bale. You got give credit where it's due. I mean, RDJ looks like a great guy and all but he is not even playing Tony Stark, what we see in the movies is 100% him.

Proof. Him at comic con nominating himself the winner of a kids Iron Man look-a-like contest. :lol

[ame="https://youtu.be/o-UlLuK22DQ"]https://youtu.be/o-UlLuK22DQ[/ame]

Christian Bale is a superior actor all around, IMO.

before you vote, watch 'the machinist'. bale is 100% awesome, and i think RDJ is great. bale has the edge.

[ame="https://youtu.be/H0fuHY4U1UA"]https://youtu.be/H0fuHY4U1UA[/ame]

Iron Man fanatic here and I voted for Christian Bale. You got give credit where it's due. I mean, RDJ looks like a great guy and all but he is not even playing Tony Stark, what we see in the movies is 100% him.
Good thing that I give him the nod for the entirety of his career and not the IRON MAN stuff. Hell, his work in TROPIC THUNDER is more impressive overall than his Stark stuff.

Again... CHAPLIN. For God's sake the dude used not one, not two but three distinctly different British accents in that film, flawlessly. Not to mention all the physical stuff and 100% completely inhabiting a cinema legend and bringing him to life. Absolutely the best performance by either of these two guys, and it's not even close, imho.

Bale is the better actor. Not really even close. He's good in pretty much everything I've seen him in. And Bale seems to take more challenging parts than RDJ does ... even to the point of taking second-billing in movies like The Fighter and 3:10 to Yuma.

But, I'll even go a step farther -- with the caveat that I haven't seen IM3 -- and say Bale was better as Bruce Wayne than RDJ is Tony Stark. RDJ plays Stark perfectly, and he was cast perfectly ... but Wayne is a more difficult part, and BB and TDKR were more character studies into Wayne than any Iron Man movie has been into Stark. RDJ's Tony Stark is actually a bit similar to Nicholson's Joker in one regard ... its so perfectly cast that RDJ doesn't even really need to act. He's playing himself. Bale's Wayne is more of a display of acting talent than RDJ's Stark.

SnakeDoc

Bale all the way. One of the best actors of his generation. Intense, versatile. Wonderfull at playing introvertic, obsessive, slightly unstable characters. There's just something about the way he performs. I know that the word "intense" is overused a lot today when it comes to actors, but with Bale You can really see the dedication, this sort of tight-strung commitment to every spoken line, even when he's playing more down to earth characters. Plus his kaleidoscope of accents is awesome :D

But props go to RDJ as well. Its unfair to simply lob him into the "Tony Stark funny showman" persona. He allready proved his talent in the past.

Still, I don't look forward to Downey's future roles as much as I am always curious of Bale's next projects.

Last edited:
RDJ was great in Chaplin, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Tropic Thunder, and a slew of others. But he's really not in Bale's weight class. Bale is on par with Dicaprio as one of this generation's top performers.

My vote for CB. His Bruce was excellent, and f not for John Connor would be his worst role. American Psycho, The Fighter, The Machinist. It's Bale and it really is not that close.

RDJ wins this for his work in "Chaplin" alone. IMHO the best modern performance by a lead actor that was snubbed an Oscar (for Al Pacino in "Scent of A Woman" of all things).

I will totally agree with that:lecture...Loved Chaplin:clap

I'm a bigger fan of Downey Jr....but as far as best actor between the two I need to be partial and look at the body of work between them. I voted Bale based on that. While he was an excellent Batman/Bruce Wayne (I preferred Downey Jr as Iron Man/Tony Stark)...I also took into consideration films like American Psycho, The Fighter, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma, Public Enemies, and the Machinist.

IMO many considered "great" actors are not really great actors. Their natural character is just extremely appealing and entertaining to watch, but overall they're always the same guy. Jack Nicholson / Robert De Niro come to mine. (excluding Taxi Driver)
A great actor disappears into their character. Something Daniel Day Lewis & Phillip Seymour Hoffman have mastered.

While they've both occasionally accomplished this, I have to say Bale does it more often. More times than not, RDJ shows up and plays RDJ.

but overall Im big fans of both.

.. and for those who don't know it, Irish is a big fan of Chaplin.... :monkey1

IMO many considered "great" actors are not really great actors. Their natural character is just extremely appealing and entertaining to watch, but overall they're always the same guy. Jack Nicholson / Robert De Niro come to mine. (excluding Taxi Driver)
A great actor disappears into their character. Something Daniel Day Lewis & Phillip Seymour Hoffman have mastered.

While they've both occasionally accomplished this, I have to say Bale does it more often. More times than not, RDJ shows up and plays RDJ.

but overall Im big fans of both.

.. and for those who don't know it, Irish is a big fan of Chaplin.... :monkey1

great point.

Bale is awesome and really becomes his characters but they've both done non-native accents and I've noticed that Bale's slips occasionally. Not so with RDJ.

Back