Chances of six inch GI Joes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Web_Head91

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Over in the thread for Hasbro's six inch Star Wars figures, we had a brief conversation about if maybe Hasbro might do six inch GI Joes one day. Someone said they heard a rumour that the Star Wars line is a test of sorts, to see if Hasbro can sell their mainly 3 3/4 scale licenses in a six inch scale, and that if it succeeds, they might do GI Joes. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this rumour? I must say, GI Joes in that scale would be a dream come true for me.

Do you have anything to back that up with? I remember hearing a few years ago that there was a prototype for a six inch GI Joe but that it was canceled. What makes you say chances are good?

Teemu has his sources

images

And I wouldn't suppose any of you know how the Black Series is doing, sales-wise? I'd ask in the SW forum, but they never talk to me there. And I figured if that line is a test, maybe some fellow Joe fans have been keeping an eye on the success of it.

In all fairness, that figure you gave a link to is a thousand times better than anything I could do. But you're right, 650 dollars? Are people out of their minds?

I would be in for the majority of the line, I don't really collect SW figures (still have the first couple waves of potf2) but was really tempted with the 6" ones.

It's funny that my first instinct is to think that I would have zero interest in these. And if they were the typical cheap, mass market 6" toys we see from Hasbro/Mattel, this would be the case. But as my Transformers focus has shifted to the Masterpiece line, I have realized that we don't really have an equivalent with GI Joe that I could get completely behind. Sideshow's figures were what I thought that could be, but erratic quality, and inconsistency in accuracy to the original card art, animation, and toys is a problem. Plus, the figures are so fundamentally different than the original ARAH toys--being so big, with "real" clothing, that it doesn't really hit the nostalgia button in the way that it could. The 25th Anniversary Joes worked for awhile, but at the end of the day they are mass produced, low priced figures made for a mass audience. So we saw lots of short cuts, and the business and detail was actually a negative to me.

If Hasbro ever invested in genuinely high end, 6" or so plastic figures, but each focusing on quality, adherence to the source material (meaning investment in new sculpts whenever it was required as opposed to using the same torsos, legs, and arms over and over and over), and really an aesthetic simplicity that the Marvel Legends type figures, and 25th Anniversary-type Joes often lack, then I think that could be my dream GI Joe line. I essentially mean smallish plastic figures that look like they jumped off the TV screen.

But it ain't gonna happen.

In all fairness, that figure you gave a link to is a thousand times better than anything I could do. But you're right, 650 dollars? Are people out of their minds?

They always use poorly lit bad quality photos... sets alarm bells off for me. Marvel Legends was what I used to work with & all they have going for them is that no one else really does G.I. Joes in this scale... I wouldnt have dreamed of charging anyone that much & I used photos that showed people what they were getting!
10017-1.jpg

I'd like to see a nice 6" line that rolled out in the same order as the 80s toys. That would be cool, vehicles and all. :clap

Back