Celtic Predator Life Size Mask!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome review as always dan. Im really glad that you voiced your disgust on how sideshow has been dropping the ball on these pieces. I hope they truly listen.

yes, the lens mod looks waaaaaaaaaaay better. Looking forward to the tutorial.

looks much much better! look forward to a tutorial.

i agree...........looks like you used plexiglass :confused: or did you go for the clear coat paint job? either way, i will be sure to follow in your footsteps ;) much better though!

i agree...........looks like you used plexiglass :confused: or did you go for the clear coat paint job? either way, i will be sure to follow in your footsteps ;) much better though!

I used a piece of clamshell packaging I had laying around :lol

By the way guys, I just had a nice conference call with Sideshow and we discussed a number of topics, including my reviews of the Scar and Celtic helmets and I am going to put together a post and video about it. But for now, I would like to tell everyone that apparently along with the copper accents on the Celtic that were dictated by ADI, so were the lenses. So in other words, the decision to make the lenses like this was not Sideshow's, it was ADI who gave them the master with lenses like that and Sideshow had no choice but to adhere to it. Of course why ADI did it that way is another story, but apparently as far as the helmets go, there was little, if nothing, Sideshow could do about the end result as it was dictated completely by ADI.

I will go more in to this and some other stuff on the site next week... man so much happening at once, ARGGGG!!!

Dan

I used a piece of clamshell packaging I had laying around :lol

By the way guys, I just had a nice conference call with Sideshow and we discussed a number of topics, including my reviews of the Scar and Celtic helmets and I am going to put together a post and video about it. But for now, I would like to tell everyone that apparently along with the copper accents on the Celtic that were dictated by ADI, so were the lenses. So in other words, the decision to make the lenses like this was not Sideshow's, it was ADI who gave them the master with lenses like that and Sideshow had no choice but to adhere to it. Of course why ADI did it that way is another story, but apparently as far as the helmets go, there was little, if nothing, Sideshow could do about the end result as it was dictated completely by ADI.

I will go more in to this and some other stuff on the site next week... man so much happening at once, ARGGGG!!!

Dan

thats bullsh:mad:t

i find that so hard to believe. but even so what the hell would they wanna do that for, so only they have the only REAL movie accurate one.. lame :emperor

Edit: By the way, those lenses look frikin awesome Faken. 2 thumbs up

thats bullsh:mad:t

i find that so hard to believe. but even so what the hell would they wanna do that for, so only they have the only REAL movie accurate one.. lame :emperor

Edit: By the way, those lenses look frikin awesome Faken. 2 thumbs up

Well, it was confirmed to me awhile ago that ADI was the absolute reason why the helmet had the copper accents by a Sideshow artist that is a friend of mine, so it does make sense that ADI would control the lenses as well. I actually spoke with them about a few issues and they did acknowledge issues with finishing and took the blame. So I think had this been their issue they would have accepted it as well. But I will touch on this more in my little writup about the meeting.

And thanks for the kudos on the lenses :)

It's nice that were finally getting somewhere with sideshow, shame it's two bio's too late! did they happen to mention how they are going to improve things in future?

It's nice that were finally getting somewhere with sideshow, shame it's two bio's too late! did they happen to mention how they are going to improve things in future?

I did mention that they should seriously look in to how they are doing the Chopper but it may be too late. But they definitely know people are not happy with the last two.

I did mention that they should seriously look in to how they are doing the Chopper but it may be too late. But they definitely know people are not happy with the last two.

I hope the Chopper is done in a better way. I'm actually pretty excited about that mask

Hopefully the chopper bio can be saved.
Every one else has said it but I'll say it again anyway, nice work
on the lenses Faken looks primo.

Well, it was confirmed to me awhile ago that ADI was the absolute reason why the helmet had the by a Sideshow artist that is a friend of mine, so it does make sense that ADI would control the lenses as well. I actually spoke with them about a few issues and they did acknowledge issues with finishing and took the blame. So I think had this been their issue they would have accepted it as well. But I will touch on this more in my little writup about the meeting.

And thanks for the kudos on the lenses :)

I know the changed the accents copper, but why would they request that the lenses look like crap, thats more retarded then sideshow just being lazy and wrecking our lenses

I got mine 2day, and im pretty happy with it, even more so because of the ability to custom the lenses is easier thank to Faken,

I notised that the finish is very powdery looking compared to the Wolf

But see Dan? It's simple little things like that that should be done by Sideshow and NOT the customer. I'm sure if ADI said "Keep the lenses molded on.."..Sideshow very well could've came back and said, "Ok..it doesn't make them look accurate but what can we do to improve it?" Obviously their answer last time around was PAPER.

I highly doubt ADI would've been so strict to have questioned Sideshow if they said they wanted to add plastic or a gloss paint over the lenses on their final product to emphasize movie accuracy. I've worked in the customer service graphics/contract biz for a while so there is always a degree of flexibility.

If this is a legit story that ADI said do nothing, very well. But I also blame Sideshow for not coming up with a creative solution around it. Obviously I think it came down to money and they didn't want to do it. Still, for a piece so easily mass-produced in comparison to others (there's hardly any differing paints), I'm sure Sideshow made a good buck off of it.

These masks have gone downhill since the first one. I have the Wolf and it's awesome and I'm glad I didn't bother with the Scar or this one.

ADI sucks...so it honestly doesnt surprise me. They seem to do anything they can to screw over the Predator. :(

OK here is a still from the movie... I know this is the chopper but the Celtic has the same type of lense material, that speckled texture. You can see the Celtic lense somewhat nicely when he's about to get his head bashed in by the alien tongue, but this shot here of the chopper shows it better:

change_moviestill.jpg

The lenses are shiny/reflective (The alien reflection was added post-filming via CGI) and the speckles are not just black... there's silver, black and white. So that is the look I wanted to create... also the lenses are not quite the same color tone, so it doesn't have to match the grey of the helmet itself.

Here is before:

change_before.jpg

One side has the new lens...

change_half.jpg

Both sides with new lenses...

change_done.jpg

Does it match the movie a bit better now?

Mine:

change_done2.jpg

Movie:

change_moviestill.jpg

change_moviestill2.jpg

Hope you like it :) Video tutorial coming soon...

how did you get the plastic to sit in there so nicely? and how did you get an accurate shape? It took me like 45min to cut the closest shape I could out but it wont sit in there properly

how did you get the plastic to sit in there so nicely? and how did you get an accurate shape? It took me like 45min to cut the closest shape I could out but it wont sit in there properly

I will show you my sneaky trick for how I did it in the video ;) I actually made it up right on the spot, but it worked perfectly hehehe

Yo Dan, you have any high res NON MOVIE pictures of CP?

I looked, and I couldnt find any. I just want to see a well lit version to see the paint job.

But see Dan? It's simple little things like that that should be done by Sideshow and NOT the customer. I'm sure if ADI said "Keep the lenses molded on.."..Sideshow very well could've came back and said, "Ok..it doesn't make them look accurate but what can we do to improve it?" Obviously their answer last time around was PAPER.

I highly doubt ADI would've been so strict to have questioned Sideshow if they said they wanted to add plastic or a gloss paint over the lenses on their final product to emphasize movie accuracy. I've worked in the customer service graphics/contract biz for a while so there is always a degree of flexibility.

If this is a legit story that ADI said do nothing, very well. But I also blame Sideshow for not coming up with a creative solution around it. Obviously I think it came down to money and they didn't want to do it. Still, for a piece so easily mass-produced in comparison to others (there's hardly any differing paints), I'm sure Sideshow made a good buck off of it.

These masks have gone downhill since the first one. I have the Wolf and it's awesome and I'm glad I didn't bother with the Scar or this one.

Not arguing any of that at all, I agree with you and in the conference call, I told Sideshow exactly that. I said: "Perhaps when ADI sends you a master like this, you should tell them that there would be significant backlash from collectors if we placed paper elements in a $300 collectible" and they conceded that perhaps this is something that should have happened, but never did. My response was "I hope you do it for the Chopper".

Dan

Yo Dan, you have any high res NON MOVIE pictures of CP?

I looked, and I couldnt find any. I just want to see a well lit version to see the paint job.

Unfortunately not, the only reference photos I have that are non-movie are from the ADI book, and if I remember correctly, most are just of the sculpts.

Great job Falken!

It does look better and more movie accurate.

SS should have made the lens with a more reflective material in the first place, and not making us collectors resort to fixing our own helms.

Thanks for giving the feedback to Sideshow, Dan! I really...REALLY want them to do well with their products. But some things are inexcusable and really make you scratch your head.

Did you happen to actually ask Sideshow WHY they used paper on the Scar helmet? Why was that call made?

Back