Casa Del Bergholtz

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy Bergholtz said:
Witch%202.jpg

Actually it wil be a cool design of Baba Yaga for Hellboy

OMG...that is great collection :drool ...Man..not to sound dumb here, but did you sculpt all those heads yourself???...if so are you going to make any customs for them???

sunohc said:
wow big bump , i know.
but i got this question when i come back looking at this thread ;)

i see two windu mace heads.
one looks like the factory production piece, and the other might be the actual wax piece?

andy, do you sculpt the wax piece a little bigger for production because it shrinks, which i am just guessing, or am i totally wrong, lol.

your studio and collection display is worth coming back and seeing it over and over in thsi thread

Heya Sunohc, the pink/wax Mace head in the pic was the very first Mace portrait I did, which was revised several times by request of Lucasfilm (the head was also slightly too big, which was corrected in the revisions). The gray resin casting next to the wax portrait is a copy of the final 'approved' head sculpt. (see below for some comparison shots).

To answer your question, yes the heads for SS are often sculpted just a hair larger than actual size (about 3%, or close to it), to allow for shrinkage in production, etc.

Thanks again guys!

Mace%20sculpt%201.jpg

Mace%20sculpt%202.jpg

ok.
just cause Im very curious.

the changes initially seem very small.

what specifically were the revisions you were asked to make between those 2 versions?

occulum said:
ok.
just cause Im very curious.

the changes initially seem very small.

what specifically were the revisions you were asked to make between those 2 versions?

Thanks for asking this occ!!! I was wondering the same thing, but didn't want to admit I only saw a few very small revisions around the eyes and mouth...

That's a good question guys. I know based on the pics it seems like barely anything was revised... But you'd be surprised at how much re-sculpting was done between the 2 stages. I can't recall the specific licensor comments, but I know some key changed areas were the eyes, brow/expression, nose size, and the shape & size of the cranium. There were also some changes made to the profile that aren't visible in the pics above.

Batty: Liking it a lot! Although I miss SS already...

Andy Bergholtz said:
That's a good question guys. I know based on the pics it seems like barely anything was revised... But you'd be surprised at how much re-sculpting was done between the 2 stages. I can't recall the specific licensor comments, but I know some key changed areas were the eyes, brow/expression, nose size, and the shape & size of the cranium. There were also some changes made to the profile that aren't visible in the pics above.

Andy,

I'm just curious since i've never understood the whole licensor approval thing. When you give them a something for approval like a headsculpt that you've done, is it just any joe schmoe who is looking at your work and telling you what needs to be changed?

I would think that an artist such as yourself would have a much more detailed and sharper view of the human anatomy/form and also individual characteristics that make up one's face. Im sure you have a more keen eye for nitpicking the details on Samuel Jackson's face than George Lucas would. That's partially why im confused as to why LFL doesn't let you do what you want to do.

Andy Bergholtz said:

wow.
That must've been hard to tweek such a good sculpt already, lol!
thanks for that insight on the shrinking before production. I've always heard of it but wasn't sure :)

Oh my god ! :monkey5
Thank you so mutch Andy to share your collection and your fantastic work.
What a privilege to talk with The Artist !
You've done an amazing job with the Star Wars PF heads (not only with it of course ! I speak about the Star Wars PF because i've got all of them. My 2 only 12'' are also Anakin Sith Apprentice and Obi-wan : your work ! awesome portraits !).
For the PF, the sculptures of Harisson Ford and Mark Hamil are perfect copies of their originals living models. Awesome job !! My favorite pieces of all my Star Wars collection.
Just a question (if i can ask) Are you always working with pictures has models ?
I'm really impressive by your work and the fact that you take the time to talk to us and share you're own collection.
Great and nice collection.
I saw a 1933 King Kong poster. Do you have any plan to make a Kong Statue or bust ? It will be awesome. I love 1933 original Kong Movie.
Nice job with the Witch... It looks like my old english teacher. :lol
The PF Star Wars Collection will have more issues to come.
Please Andy just tell us that you'll be involved with the next Star Wars PF...
Thank you so mutch again for your work.
You're the guy who make dreams comes true.
Merci l'Artiste !! Chapeau bas !

Last edited:
out of curiosity now after the fact,
were you working on the Mummy when you took these pics?

Studio%207%20copy.jpg

and while Im on the subject, how was that project? as far as the tough task of sculpting a complete figure and then the sarcophagus? its the prize piece in my collection IMO.

wishful thinking but in the top pic on his bulletin board it looks like a picture of igor from young frankenstein. that would be sweet.

i think i see a boob in the pic to the left lol

Occulum-- Nope, the Mummy was sculpted at least a year before I took that pic. :) And it was a fun piece to work on... It was a rare treat for me to get to sculpt a figure in it's entirety for SS (as opposed to just a head), which is always nice. Also, I didn't actually sculpt the whole sarcophagus, just the Karloff portrait and a few of the hirogliphic (sp?) details on the front. I think the rest of the sarcophagus was sculpted in China if I'm not mistaken.

Devlinboy-- Wishful thinking indeed! :)

Andy Bergholtz said:
Occulum-- Nope, the Mummy was sculpted at least a year before I took that pic. :) And it was a fun piece to work on... It was a rare treat for me to get to sculpt a figure in it's entirety for SS (as opposed to just a head), which is always nice. Also, I didn't actually sculpt the whole sarcophagus, just the Karloff portrait and a few of the hirogliphic (sp?) details on the front. I think the rest of the sarcophagus was sculpted in China if I'm not mistaken.

Devlinboy-- Wishful thinking indeed! :)

So Andy... you still didn't answer the question!!! :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Back