Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also if the controls were out due to the cube being gone, why would be able to move them up and down, but not left or right to possibly turn around?

He couldn't turn left and right quickly, this is a 1940s plane despite engineering, it's design was just a massive version, a quick pull to either direction would have caused a tailspin which would just FUBAR it even further. Planes of that nature, even small ones, take arcs to move directions, something of that size would have needed a huge arc, one that would have probably jusy move the direction from New York to something lower by the time they hit.

Remember this thing was moving quick, and so it's quite possible that given how close they were to New York (I'm not sure how close five little hashes are) or at the momentum it was flying Cap made the lesser of two evils decision.

If he attempts a landing and fails he crashes into New York and destroys a lot of ____ and kills a lot of people. If he attempts a landing and makes it, he isn't going to get out of destroying a lot of ____. Now if he quickly takes it down where it is, in the remote area which has to be in Greenland area realistically he turns the casuality count or even probablity to 1.

Now he may have tried a straight landing, the plane in fact was on it's stomach and melted through the snow, probably due to the large amount of heat built up by the cube power source as he didn't say "Peggy I'm going to crash this _____." but he wanted to say his goodbyes anyway just in case. When he awoke he for a moment thought he had made it, that he did land it until he met the SHIELD agent so you have to assume just by those actions that he immediately WAS trying for a safe landing but was preparing for the worst. Being the man of the olden age where it was important to shield (pardon the pun) your gal from any kind of misharm, he wouldn't have wanted Peggy to be freaking out on his end and even in his goodbyes, he tried to keep it lighthearted.

He couldn't turn left and right quickly, this is a 1940s plane despite engineering, it's design was just a massive version, a quick pull to either direction would have caused a tailspin which would just FUBAR it even further. Planes of that nature, even small ones, take arcs to move directions, something of that size would have needed a huge arc, one that would have probably jusy move the direction from New York to something lower by the time they hit.

Remember this thing was moving quick, and so it's quite possible that given how close they were to New York (I'm not sure how close five little hashes are) or at the momentum it was flying Cap made the lesser of two evils decision.

If he attempts a landing and fails he crashes into New York and destroys a lot of ____ and kills a lot of people. If he attempts a landing and makes it, he isn't going to get out of destroying a lot of ____. Now if he quickly takes it down where it is, in the remote area which has to be in Greenland area realistically he turns the casuality count or even probablity to 1.

Now he may have tried a straight landing, the plane in fact was on it's stomach and melted through the snow, probably due to the large amount of heat built up by the cube power source as he didn't say "Peggy I'm going to crash this _____." but he wanted to say his goodbyes anyway just in case. When he awoke he for a moment thought he had made it, that he did land it until he met the SHIELD agent so you have to assume just by those actions that he immediately WAS trying for a safe landing but was preparing for the worst. Being the man of the olden age where it was important to shield (pardon the pun) your gal from any kind of misharm, he wouldn't have wanted Peggy to be freaking out on his end and even in his goodbyes, he tried to keep it lighthearted.

hey man, thanks for taking the time to reply. you've convinced me! now i can feel better. :yess:

I did....I am so glad I was wrong.

I want my comic movies to 1) continue being made 2) continue to get better so I am very pleased with the results :clap

I know you made a comment but in the same sentence said you'd still like Cap or something to that effect.

Someone else was just being a ****** troll here or in another thread, I can't remember which thread, and I don't recall you ever being a DT. :D :lol

I'm just busting their balls. :stick

But I love his avatar :monkey2

Board rules state "Thou shalt not covet they neighbors Avatar!" :nono: :thwak :lol

That's great. And I totally agree on the montages. A great tribute to the period, the actual original Captain America serials, and of course the famous cover of CA #1.
[/SPOILER]

That was awesome to see! :rock :yess:

I noticed a couple of people (not many) lamenting the fact that Cap didn't have mad ninja fighting skills and that the Red Skull wasn't fearsome enough.

I couldn't be happier that the current movie featured none of the above. Its a throwback to the true nature of the character as he existed in the comics for many decades before The Dark Knight and the Ultimates became all the rage.

If you're stronger and faster than Bruce Lee then you typically don't need his skills. Old School Cap was a bruiser, a take charge battlefield go getter and a hell of an acrobat and leaper. But he really wasn't into patty-cake fighting like Bale Batman, Neo, or Jason Bourne. One punch (jab or roundhouse) and his opponent (or opponents if he aimed his single punches just right) were down. Anything not within arm's reach was taken out with the shield.

As for the Skull, yeah I see how movie-goers accustomed to villiains like Ledger's Joker could have expected more, but frankly I'm thrilled that my kids are going to be able to enjoy The First Avenger at a very young age the way I did with Superman: The Movie and Indiana Jones.

Lex Luthor and Belloq weren't particularly nightmare inducing but they were scene chewers and worthy adversaries that tested the mettle of the heroes, just like Hugo Weavings' Red Skull.

I noticed a couple of people (not many) lamenting the fact that Cap didn't have mad ninja fighting skills and that the Red Skull wasn't fearsome enough.

I couldn't be happier that the current movie featured none of the above. Its a throwback to the true nature of the character as he existed in the comics for many decades before The Dark Knight and the Ultimates became all the rage.

If you're stronger and faster than Bruce Lee then you typically don't need his skills. Old School Cap was a bruiser, a take charge battlefield go getter and a hell of an acrobat and leaper. But he really wasn't into patty-cake fighting like Bale Batman, Neo, or Jason Bourne. One punch (jab or roundhouse) and his opponent (or opponents if he aimed his single punches just right) were down. Anything not within arm's reach was taken out with the shield.

As for the Skull, yeah I see how movie-goers accustomed to villiains like Ledger's Joker could have expected more, but frankly I'm thrilled that my kids are going to be able to enjoy The First Avenger at a very young age the way I did with Superman: The Movie and Indiana Jones.

Lex Luthor and Belloq weren't particularly nightmare inducing but they were scene chewers and worthy adversaries that tested the mettle of the heroes, just like Hugo Weavings' Red Skull.

:exactly::exactly::clap:exactly::exactly:

I couldn't agree more, Khev! :clap

:duff

On a side note, I dropped out of this thread for quite a while before the movie started to avoid spoilers. Can anyone tell me the best place to pick up this poster? Its awesome.

captainamerica-finalposter520goodw.jpg

:duff

On a side note, I dropped out of this thread for quite a while before the movie started to avoid spoilers. Can anyone tell me the best place to pick up this poster? Its awesome.

captainamerica-finalposter520goodw.jpg

I'm also on a poster hunt.

My goal is to have 2 vertical posters hanging on each side of my new display shelf and a long horizontal poster above the shelf.

The new SDCC Avengers posters all stitched up would fit perfectly for my horizontal needs. :rock

Still have to decide which posters I want for the sides.

I really loved the movie but I did find it funny that not one person smoked in this World War 2 period piece where everyone, even babies smoked back then :)

I really loved the movie but I did find it funny that not one person smoked in this World War 2 period piece where everyone, even babies smoked back then :)

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Hey, what do you want...Marvel doesn't want anyone to accuse them of promoting smoking to children.

Doesn't ruin the movie though.

Spoiler about the end of the movie:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back