Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Differing styles is a good thing IMO ... it provides each co. a different medium to tell their story. I am not one to say the execution was bad for BvS....reading comments it is full of easter eggs for comic fans to enjoy and piece together. I haven't read comics forever therefore a lot of the easter eggs left me baffled and confused. I do agree the editing was disjointed that along with the confusion around the easter eggs made it less enjoyable for me.

Agree on the styles, I like that they were different, was just stating I don't have a preference, in fact I liked the style of BvS more, but for me didn't deliver like the mcu movies do

. I was hoping she would develop into more of a player here, but just more of the same we saw in Winter Soldier. Another forgettable supporting female character like Maria Hill.

The scene when she returns their costumes was pure comedic gold for me.....I didn't need her to do anything else :lol

I liked when Cap dropped the shield. He understood the gravity of his choices. He understood how much he hurt Tony by not telling him Bucky killed his parents. It was no longer about signing the accords, at that point it was 100% personal for both Tony and Cap. Tony wanted revenge. Cap wanted to protect his Bucky. Dropping his shield was out of respect for the lie he kept from Tony. In a sense, he may have felt Tony was right. Howard made that shield for Cap. Cap respected Howard. And here he was, literally carrying the weight of his lie of omission and using it as a shield. It's a burden he realized, through Tony's eyes, that he couldn't carry anymore.

His consequent letter at the end was with respect to their friendship. From what I've grown to understand about Cap through the movies is that policies, law, government, all that stuff is secondary to relationships and doing what you feel is right. It was not meant to apologize for disagreeing with the accords, being a criminal, or "splitting up" the Avengers. It was meant to show Tony that in spite of all that, he considers himself family who will be there when it counts most.

Viewing #3 completed. :D

Cap dropping the shield is like a performer dropping the mic....... Stark, Kent, Wayne whoever......Cap won it's over :lol

Nah I agree with SoGs. This was more of an acknowledgement that Tony was right. The shield was made by Howard, and Cap realized that what he was doing was sullying the memory of Howard. His letter later on fortifies that Cap knew he was also wrong.

I think his giving up the shield goes well beyond that, to represent the fact that Cap realizes he doesn't want to be the public face of super powered goody goodies anymore. He violated the law, and would do so again in a moment. As such, he might feel awkward wearing a suit with the U.S. flag all over it. So now, he's not only lost the shield, but he's dressed in low key, civilian attire. And he's going to work on the down low with others who have violated international law (not that the UN has any teeth in the real world, but we can suspend disbelief for the purpose of this movie).

Geez, can we go back to discussing this movie? It's like a **** measuring contest for some of you. Go compare elsewhere

I liked when Cap dropped the shield. He understood the gravity of his choices. He understood how much he hurt Tony by not telling him Bucky killed his parents. It was no longer about signing the accords, at that point it was 100% personal for both Tony and Cap. Tony wanted revenge. Cap wanted to protect his Bucky. Dropping his shield was out of respect for the lie he kept from his Tony. In a sense, he may have felt Tony was right. Howard made that shield for Cap. Cap respected Howard. And here he was, literally carrying the weight of his lie of omission and using it as a shield. It's a burden he realized, through Tony's eyes, that he couldn't carry anymore.

His consequent letter at the end was with respect to their friendship. From what I've grown to understand about Cap through the movies is that policies, law, government, all that stuff is secondary to relationships and doing what you feel is right. It was not meant to apologize for disagreeing with the accords, being a criminal, or "splitting up" the Avengers. It was meant to show Tony that in spite of all that, he considers himself family who will be there when it counts most.

Very good.

I think his giving up the shield goes well beyond that, to represent the fact that Cap realizes he doesn't want to be the public face of super powered goody goodies anymore. He violated the law, and would do so again in a moment. As such, he might feel awkward wearing a suit with the U.S. flag all over it. So now, he's not only lost the shield, but he's dressed in low key, civilian attire. And he's going to work on the down low with others who have violated international law (not that the UN has any teeth in the real world, but we can suspend disbelief for the purpose of this movie).

Very good.

I liked when Cap dropped the shield. He understood the gravity of his choices. He understood how much he hurt Tony by not telling him Bucky killed his parents. It was no longer about signing the accords, at that point it was 100% personal for both Tony and Cap. Tony wanted revenge. Cap wanted to protect his Bucky. Dropping his shield was out of respect for the lie he kept from Tony. In a sense, he may have felt Tony was right. Howard made that shield for Cap. Cap respected Howard. And here he was, literally carrying the weight of his lie of omission and using it as a shield. It's a burden he realized, through Tony's eyes, that he couldn't carry anymore.

Great post.

Nah I agree with SoGs. This was more of an acknowledgement that Tony was right. The shield was made by Howard, and Cap realized that what he was doing was sullying the memory of Howard. His letter later on fortifies that Cap knew he was also wrong.

:hi5:

That's what makes these movies fun, how we all interpret them.

Very good.

Thank you sir.

Great post.

And thank you as well.

After watching this twice this weekend, its definitely one of my all time favorite movies in the MCU.

Sometimes to grow as a family you have to get through your differences, I think the Russo's do a very good job with Cap and my god, juggling that cast without making the movie feel bloated or clunky? :clap

I didn't feel like the film felt clunky, however I think they could've prioritized the characters a bit better.

I didn't find myself caring much about Wanda and Vision and would've rather seen more Falcon and Sharon interacting with Steve instead.

I still think the Russos handle Black Widow the best and Black Panther and Spidey fit in seamlessly IMO.

I'm biased since I am a Stark fan.

I'll be honest, I was never a fan of Captain America. I did not like TFA as a result. However TWS got me interested in the character and CW only cemented him as one of my top MCU characters.

But yeah I am a Stark fan. There can never be enough Stank! :D

My biggest problem is that I felt almost nothing for Rogers during the finale.
With TWS I was sooo emotionally investead, had me in tears.

Again, there was too much Stark in a "Captain America" movie. Way too much.

I'd argue that emotion was there, but not in the same manner as TWS. TWS left us with an emptyish Cap. Finally, there was something in this new world for him that tied him to his true place in time. But of course, Bucky takes off and Cap has no idea where he is, how much of his friend is still in there, or if he can even be truly saved. All this while processing the idea that Shield, something he believed in and put so much faith into because of Peggy, could no longer be trusted. All that was left for him in this life was to "serve" and it turned out he served for an organization that couldn't be trusted in the end and was partly responsible for everything that happened to Bucky.

By the end of CW, he's a much more complete character and his arc progressed immensely. He's let go of the love of his life in Peggy, and as a by-product of that, has allowed himself to plant the seed that that type of bond is possible in this time too, with Sharon. He has Bucky back. His friend is still completely in there, a mess yes, but he's there. And most importantly, he's no longer a soldier that needs to fight other's wars. "We've been given orders. We should follow them." My, how far he's come since saying that.

The emotion comes from that fact that he's in the process of self-actualization. He's accepted that this is his time in the world now. He knows who he is without having to answer to anyone. He knows what he stands for. And he knows who he rides with. Which includes Tony Stark despite their differences. It's not emotion of the sad variety. It's more the contentment that he's becoming the person he's destined to be, no longer defined as a man-out-of-time.

RDJ plays a great Tony Stark. He's polarizing and I can't fault an actor for truly making a role his own. And honestly, I went into the movie afraid there would be too much RDJ because I wanted a Captain America movie. I feel I got that.

Is it just me or is there something more going on than a bromance between cap and Bucky?

Not-That-Theres-Anything-Wrong-With-That-Reaction-Gif-On-Seinfeld.gif

I tend to agree CW emotional climax was geared towards Stark then Rogers. That said, while 10 mins concentrated on Stark's emotional journey, the 30 secs allotted for Rogers (giving up the shield) was equally as powerful for me.

I'm still floored how all those characters in one film were expertly handled, not an easy thing to pull off, not even the X-Men movies had this many characters handled this well in one movie.

Last edited:
Yeah, the key is hitting upon what sets each character apart, and then hitting it hard when they're around, Ant-Man was the perfect goofball when he was on screen and needed, Witch was an untamed force to be reckoned with, Vision the voice of wisdom, Rhodey the voice of the military, they just played up everyone's unique qualities very well, regardless of how much time they had on screen.

What was nice about the fight between Cap and Tony was, Tony actually was admitting to being wrong about Bucky and rushed to help Cap, only to get their and learn Cap had betrayed him. I think that twist alone adds weight to the scene, not sure everyone watching will put that all together, but I think we've all been in a place where you give your best to help someone and they actually screw you over, it's very upsetting and usually over something pety, but this is the death of his parents.

The look on RDJ's face at the end of the fight was just perfect, he looked truly afraid for his life.

Back