Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, and I want to clarify that I did enjoy CW quite a bit. It's a very well made, fun, action packed movie, but, in all honesty, I feel like the odds were stacked against it from the start, having to follow up The Winter Soldier. The best way I can think to describe Civil War is an endless barrage of spectacular moments that add up to a whole that, while very good, doesn't quite reach the heights of its predecessor.

That's pretty much every third film in a trilogy...except for Return of the King and Toy Story 3. :bunnydanc

Hey Clown, so you agree it was a letdown? :wink1:

I liked it more than TWS. Maybe because the action was so awesome or maybe because the ending was not the typical big cliche, the world is going to end kind of ending, and instead it was a very grounded fist fight. It was a very emotional climax, imo. I also like how characters like the winter soldier didn't look weak at the expense of the new characters like Panther and Spiderman. I just wish Winter Soldier wore a mask when he was fighting.

Not even close to TWS..I knew they couldn't trump it because too many cooks are stuffing this dish- and Spiders thrown in for no real reason other than trumpeting "MORE $$$$ for US!"

Not even close?! Come on.

Weren't you saying earlier how you wished it was closer to the source material? So it's a good thing that Spider-Man is in it, no?

This was one of my favorite little moments and I'm sure it's a future GIF.

SUwTFjw.jpg

I also found CW marginally more enjoyable than TWS. The story isn't quite as airtight as TWS but it's still a solid plot overall, and the human elements between Cap, Bucky, and Stark combined with the incredible action just gives this huge rewatchability. The biggest ding I gave to CW was the lack of a legit villain, but TWS also suffered the same issue, though I will say the helicarriers made for a more interesting endgame than (another) bunch of super soldiers *ahem Iron Man 3 ahem*

I feel like Marvel should just pull a Lucas and make this "Avengers: Civil War" on home video, and just rename Age of Ultron "Civil War:prelude," since that's pretty much the only significance it has, anymore.:lol

I don't get the criticism that the film's villain was weak? Although I may have said the same thing at some point :lol Still, not every movie needs a scene stealing villain. This film doesn't because the story focuses on the heroes like it should, and the villain just plays a small but important secondary role. I honestly don't see how you fit a "great" scene stealing villain in that story? The whole point of that villain is that he works in the shadows, no one knows who he is, and he doesn't even look like a villain, like villains in real life, they go unnoticed by everyone until they strike. Zemo was a perfect villain for the type of story they told, and it worked as a nice origin story for Zemo.

I feel like Marvel should just pull a Lucas and make this "Avengers: Civil War" on home video, and just rename Age of Ultron "Civil War:prelude," since that's pretty much the only significance it has, anymore.:lol

Yep, it's too bad they felt pressure from BvS to make Civil War instead of a proper solo Cap 3.

I don't get the criticism that the film's villain was weak? Although I may have said the same thing at some point :lol Still, not every movie needs a scene stealing villain. This film doesn't because the story focuses on the heroes like it should, and the villain just plays a small but important secondary role. I honestly don't see how you fit a "great" scene stealing villain in that story? The whole point of that villain is that he works in the shadows, no one knows who he is, and he doesn't even look like a villain, like villains in real life, they go unnoticed by everyone until they strike. Zemo was a perfect villain for the type of story they told, and it worked as a nice origin story for Zemo.

I thought he was great, as well. I particularly liked his encounter with Black Panther, at the end. It's just a pity that his work was, basically, rendered meaningless by the letter.

But we don't really know whether it was or wasnt. It's in Caps character to offer such position to Tony even after that. That's the Russo Bros. doing right by him since it is a Captain America movie first and foremost. Tony would still have to swallow enough pride and animosity to tone down..and while he has lost the desire to work with Ross clearly...I don't think, knowing what we know about Cap, it would make any sense for him NOT to try to reach out.

Zemo's plan was going to fail. We all should have been expected that. Whether it fails at the very last seconds of this movie or the beginning of the next is irrelevant. Zemo is a schemer but Captain America trumped it by being Captain &*$%ING America.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought he was great, as well. I particularly liked his encounter with Black Panther, at the end. It's just a pity that his work was, basically, rendered meaningless by the letter.

Not necessarily. It wasn't Tony who wrote the letter seeking peace and it was Tony who was angry, not Capt. It's in character for Capt to apologize ...especially with a letter since he's a soldier from a different era. I'm glad it wasn't an email :lol Still, that letter does't change much.

I do think Tony should have burnt the letter after reading it, but that might have been too similar to Alfred burning the letter at the end of TDK.

Maybe throwing the letter in the trashcan might have worked too, and that way they can always bring back the letter in the next film.

Don't really see why some Freaks have a need to slam one movie over the other.

Other than to troll, what's the point? Can't you just enjoy both?

O come on man you know how these forums get over the summer when movies come out. It's a war from May til August .

Why are you making this about BvS? It isn't.

guess I just felt the need to respond after this quote

I won't be seeing it again....now what screen is BvS still playing on?:lol

Not sure why I am being called out when I was just making a point to a BvS fan's criticism of CW. Just thought there should be some consistency :)

BTW I don't mind the whole Martha thing :)

Last edited:
Don't really see why some Freaks have a need to slam one movie over the other.

Other than to troll, what's the point? Can't you just enjoy both?

Eh... Given the subject matter, Its just too easy to compare the two. Especially when one did it so well and the other dropped the ball. Made even more frustrating to fans who wanted said ball knocked out of the park.

Back