Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I watched this for a 3rd time, and I have to say that Civil War is one of the best examples of a superhero flick done right.

The Good

The Performances- CW is so far down the line from where we started in 2008 that it's pretty amazing these actors can still seem to deliver a performance that doesn't seem to be phoned in. the best of the Bunch being RDJ. Sure, Evans has some powerful scenes and lines, but RDJ takes the cake again. The emotion of some lines he delivers (he killed my mom; KICK HIS ASS) had so much emotional punch to them it makes you choke up.

The Ensemble Element- CW had some struggle to catch up to The Avengers, this age's biggest Ensemble flick. And I have to say, it not only does well holding up to that element the MCU has put in place, but it does better then Avengers and AoU. Everyone has a reason to be there, not just for fan service but an actual reason to join each side.

The Story- There's not much to say here but that the Russos know what they are doing. The only criticism I could give to this was the Jumping around from location to location. Throughout the story they will mention an event that happened, and you have to remember where they were 20 minutes ago. This wouldn't be a problem if they limited the locations, but that's a minor nitpick.

The Third Act- Is just perfect. I haven't scene a CB movie with a final act like this sine TDK.

The Alright alright alright :wink1:

The Airport Scene- Don't get me wrong, I love this scene a lot. But there's some stuff in there that could have been better. For starters, the CGI. It was terrible, the worst case being RDJ's floating head on a horrible rendered Iron Man suit the entire time. Please, can we get back to how Favarou shot the first IM? With piratical suits used where they should be. It really distracts from the tension and one liners in the scene. Other then that, the only nitpick I could give was some of the camera work was a little wonky during that scene.

Black Panther- He's cool, and a bad ass. But I feel like there's not enough back story there to flesh out why he is.

The Bad

The Music- Marvel proves that they are happy with the cookie cutter scores. Nothing rememberable here.

The CGI as a whole- Poor, just very poor. I don't know if ILM worked on this, but if not they should have. The Avengers and AOU had better looking CGI elements. Spider-Man looks almost like a completely computer generated character.

A solid 8.5/10 I have to say that the more I watch the flick, the more I fall in love with it. It's up there with my top 3 MCU flicks of all time.

Last edited:
Pet OC as Ironheart
Don't remind me

Not to derail it, but I had a similar idea for a fan-fic a couple of years back. It would've been titled "Iron Man", and the protagonists would've been both Tony and Victor. One would create the Iron Man suit, and the other, due to his usual attitude and hardships would be molded into a metaphorical "Man of Iron", hence the title. I'd start my story at the very beginning (new Universe, new Origins, new Twists, all that) and it'd function like a regular monthly book. I'd swap the Reed/Vic relationship, and I'd replace it with a Tony/Vic friendship turned rivalry, kinda like the Obi-Wan/Anakin saga. Anyway, I had written a few outlines, done some sketches and designs for the characters, and after 100 or so hypothetical issues, Tony would "die", and Vic would become the new Iron Man.

That sounds great, way better than what Marvel is doing right now.

Don't remind me

jnjyxa31o8_thats_racist_animated1.gif

I mean, look at Marvel's all-new young heroes. The very next legends!

Image-19-600x600.jpg

Replacement Falcon! Replacement Iron (Man?)! Replacement Wasp! Mary Sue is Comic Book form (it's been officially confirmed by Marvel that the girl on the low left corner is the smartest person in the Universe, beating folks like Reed, Doom, Tony, etc).

That sounds great, way better than what Marvel is doing right now.

The Reed/Vic rivalry is a classic one, but it always made more sense to me to have Victor be an Iron Man villain. They share many similarities, and the few key differences make for a nice contrast. It's sad Marvel's more interested in putting out dem #1s and doing dem stunts, instead of putting out some good books. Ellis never stays on a book past 6 issues nowadays, but he's gonna headline the Wildstorm revival. That should tell you something about how good DC (finally) operates. I just wish one didn't have to be so awful, and the other so good...

Both The Washington Post and Fox News are calling the clash between Donald Trump and leading Republican figures a "civil war." How stupid. Don't they know you can only use that term if people are literally murdering each other in the streets by the hundreds?

Well, if during the next debate trump walks out with a capt shield, hillary a Never Say Die shirt and the moderator has a metal arm, I would agree.

Just binged the entire Cap trilogy. Holy ****. Need to decompress. That was beyond amazing. Cap transcends all soldiers, then all spies, then even his fellow superheroes. Cap's first and last fights in the entire trilogy feature him getting beat up and then saying "I can do this all day" before Bucky blindsides his attacker.

Both Howard and Tony's first scenes in the trilogy are them giving a tech demo in front of an audience.

Skull's taunts to Steve that he's greater than everyone yet "pretends to be a simple soldier" ring true to greater degrees with each film.

When you watch them all in sequence you see that he never stops being that teenager from 1942 who will stop at nothing, whether it be falsifying enlistment documents or defying the United Nations to stand up for the little guy and oppose whoever needs opposing. But he isn't a tyrant who's above the law because when the job is done more often than not he'll surrender (he submits himself for prosecution in all three films.)

It was crushing to have TFA and TWS fresh in my mind then see his reaction to Widow siding with Tony about the accords seconds before getting the text that Peggy died. He lost both of the women he was closest to in seconds. Bucky was MIA. Other than Sam he had no one at that point. Really harsh.

I'm pretty blown away. The trilogy starts great and gets better with every film.

Finally got done watching again. First time since the theaters and only my second viewing. Unfortunately I did not enjoy it as much as the first time but I still liked it. My main issue was the lack of any real tension. The airport fight was fun but not exciting. Hell even Scarlet tells Hawkeye he is pulling his punches. The scene was full of great moments but no edge of your seat moments. The ending fight was great and one of Marvels best.. But that is because it felt like there was finally a real threat.

Having said all this I still really love the film. It's my 3rd fav in the Marvel films with Winter Soldier and the Original Avengers being a very close number 1 and 2. I think The Winter Soldier easily tops Civil War because I was actually worried for Cap in that film as well as several other characters. I was on the edge of my seat. And Bucky was a great villain. He was a real threat. Something Civil War was lacking... Not the fault of the film so much as there was no real villain but it's what helped make Winter Soldier the top Marvel film. I like Avengers better for the thrill of all the characters being on the screen for the first time together. I am always shocked by how fast the movie flows and lets face it... HULK. But if Hulk was not my fav then I would have it ranked only slightly higher then Civil War. Loki would give it the edge. But Civil War is great fun and is still ranked high in the Marvel Film Universe.

As for this talk about it being a great trilogy... Well even though it revisits several themes and characters I just don't see it as a true trilogy in the sense that too many other things are going on between films and thus plot holes are created... Basically you have to see the other films to follow all of the characters and events discussed in the films.

As for a three part series I am not sure where I would rank it. I Love TWS and really like CW but I still find it hard to really enjoy TFA. It's OK but one of Marvel's lesser efforts. It's not as bad as IM 2 or 3 but still it's one of the Marvel films I tend to ignore. Still the quality of TFA is still pretty good and the fact that TWS and CW are as good as they are brings this series into competition with other film with 3 or more films.

3 part films that I like better

Star Wars (OT)
Lord of the Rings
Indiana Jones 1-3 I am not a huge fan of TLC but it gets the advantage over TFA and Raiders and TOD are both greater then WS and CW to me.
ALIEN 1-3

That's probably it.... So Cap is in pretty great company because I would rank him up there with those films. After these there is a big drop off I think.

Anyways that is my two sense...

You could make the argument that CW is just as much part of an Avengers trilogy as it is a Cap trilogy. The only thing solidifying it as part of a Cap trilogy is the title (Captain America: Civil War).

well that, and the direct connection with bucky from the previous 2 is really the foundation of the "trilogy".

I thought about that before posting my comment and I came to the conclusion if you think about it that way then The Avengers could be considered a Thor movie because of Loki's connection.

I mean, look at Marvel's all-new young heroes. The very next legends!

Image-19-600x600.jpg

Replacement Falcon! Replacement Iron (Man?)! Replacement Wasp! Mary Sue is Comic Book form (it's been officially confirmed by Marvel that the girl on the low left corner is the smartest person in the Universe, beating folks like Reed, Doom, Tony, etc).

evcreA5.jpg

Maybe Feige and Feig are the same person. Maybe that was the plan all along...

#foodforthought #wakeup #what'supwiththeirnamesanyway

PS: Just noticed that I wrote "lower left". It's actually the lower right girl. And, to make matters worse, Waller has now gone on record saying that Alex Wilder (the evil kid from the Runaways) is now the smartest person in the MU. Smarter than Reed, Doom, Pym, all those guys. Yup, Marvel's sure prioritizing story over headlines!

Finally got done watching again. First time since the theaters and only my second viewing. Unfortunately I did not enjoy it as much as the first time but I still liked it. My main issue was the lack of any real tension. The airport fight was fun but not exciting. Hell even Scarlet tells Hawkeye he is pulling his punches. The scene was full of great moments but no edge of your seat moments. The ending fight was great and one of Marvels best.. But that is because it felt like there was finally a real threat.

Having said all this I still really love the film. It's my 3rd fav in the Marvel films with Winter Soldier and the Original Avengers being a very close number 1 and 2. I think The Winter Soldier easily tops Civil War because I was actually worried for Cap in that film as well as several other characters. I was on the edge of my seat. And Bucky was a great villain. He was a real threat. Something Civil War was lacking... Not the fault of the film so much as there was no real villain but it's what helped make Winter Soldier the top Marvel film. I like Avengers better for the thrill of all the characters being on the screen for the first time together. I am always shocked by how fast the movie flows and lets face it... HULK. But if Hulk was not my fav then I would have it ranked only slightly higher then Civil War. Loki would give it the edge. But Civil War is great fun and is still ranked high in the Marvel Film Universe.

As for this talk about it being a great trilogy... Well even though it revisits several themes and characters I just don't see it as a true trilogy in the sense that too many other things are going on between films and thus plot holes are created... Basically you have to see the other films to follow all of the characters and events discussed in the films.

As for a three part series I am not sure where I would rank it. I Love TWS and really like CW but I still find it hard to really enjoy TFA. It's OK but one of Marvel's lesser efforts. It's not as bad as IM 2 or 3 but still it's one of the Marvel films I tend to ignore. Still the quality of TFA is still pretty good and the fact that TWS and CW are as good as they are brings this series into competition with other film with 3 or more films.

Star Wars (OT)
Lord of the Rings
Indiana Jones 1-3 I am not a huge fan of TLC but it gets the advantage over TFA and Raiders and TOD are both greater then WS and CW to me.
ALIEN 1-3

That's probably it.... So Cap is in pretty great company because I would rank him up there with those films. After these there is a big drop off I think.

Anyways that is my two sense...
Hmmm...alien 3 kind of sinks that trilogy for me so I can't say aliens. That would be like me saying The Godfather is a top trilogy just based off 1 and 2 for me (i had Godfather part 3 and I like to pretend it doesn't exist)

Then again, I actually don't think Cap 1 is that good. As I go back and rewatch it, the only actor I really love in it is Tommy Lee Jones. I think both sequels have smoked TFA. So maybe I can't consider any of these trilogies...then again...I don't know if I love all three films of any trilogy (didn't like Two Towers very much, return of the jedi is a decent film with some killer scenes, the matrix sequels were...weird)

I don't even know what my point is anymore

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hmmm...alien 3 kind of sinks that trilogy for me so I can't say aliens. That would be like me saying The Godfather is a top trilogy just based off 1 and 2 for me (i had Godfather part 3 and I like to pretend it doesn't exist)

Then again, I actually don't think Cap 1 is that good. As I go back and rewatch it, the only actor I really love in it is Tommy Lee Jones. I think both sequels have smoked TFA. So maybe I can't consider any of these trilogies...then again...I don't know if I love all three films of any trilogy (didn't like Two Towers very much, return of the jedi is a decent film with some killer scenes, the matrix sequels were...weird)

I don't even know what my point is anymore

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I really like ALIEN 3. It has gotten better with age IMO. But I understand the hate that's for sure.

Star Wars (OT)
Lord of the Rings

Yes, those two trilogies will always be tops.

ALIEN 1-3

That's probably it.... So Cap is in pretty great company because I would rank him up there with those films.

I just love that after so many years of being a cinematic joke on both the big and small screens Captain America will forever have a trilogy mentioned in the same breath as SW, LOTR, Indiana Jones, and ALIEN among fans and non-fans alike. The Cap trilogy doesn't even need a "well I guess it's tops among superhero series" disclaimer. No, it's right up there with the greatest trilogies and sagas of all cinema. And that's freaking awesome. :yess:

They've gotta go with something like that in future films. I always liked the Zemo V2 design. Wouldn't make much sense in the film we saw, since he wasn't involved in any combat, and wasn't attempting to present himself to the public or anything.

Back