Captain America Civil War: Figure Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L2GI2c8.jpg

Me an my bank account are extremely happy that none of the Civil War figures excit me. Feel the AoU figures were better over all, they all feel like costume rehashes. I was considering the CW Sarket Witch but the figure they're showing her is the end of AoU outfit, the CW one has longer coattail a and a simpler front design. If they make that one I'm may upgrade the Scarket Witch I've got coming.

Gonna save a lot of money next year, so far the only must Hot Tiys have shown for me is Deadpool (damn sexy figure) and I might be tempted with Batfelck if they Rick all the littlest things, which it looks as if they are in their way to doing. Anyone else filling the lack of a wow factor that last years AoU stuff gave?

I miss the days where HT didn't make a complete collection for each of the big films. It allowed them to tackle more licenses and take some more chances IMO.

Are people really clamoring for a third Hawkeye and a fifth Black Widow? Plus it seems that Scarlet Witch will have three figures announced/released by the end of next year. Add to that, the fact they are basically reusing sculpts at this point is pretty crappy too.

The ideal lineup for this film should've been Cap, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Falcon and new sculpts for Spiderman, Black Panther, Sharon Carter, Crossbones and Baron Zemo.

I really think HT is shooting themselves in the foot and are creating lots of pegwarmers, which devalues their figures. People aren't going to be able to collect all the releases, and I don't think there's enough new customers that can fill the gaps.

Just my two cents though :dunno

I'm excited about another Hawkeye, and another Black Widow. Those are the figures I buy. I don't collect teams, or armors. I collect the characters/actors that I enjoy.

I miss the days where HT didn't make a complete collection for each of the big films. It allowed them to tackle more licenses and take some more chances IMO.

Are people really clamoring for a third Hawkeye and a fifth Black Widow? Plus it seems that Scarlet Witch will have three figures announced/released by the end of next year. Add to that, the fact they are basically reusing sculpts at this point is pretty crappy too.

The ideal lineup for this film should've been Cap, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Falcon and new sculpts for Spiderman, Black Panther, Sharon Carter, Crossbones and Baron Zemo.

I really think HT is shooting themselves in the foot and are creating lots of pegwarmers, which devalues their figures. Just my two cents though :dunno

I think what we don't know is how many people will these be their first Hawkeye or Black Widow? I just got AOU Hawkeye, and is the only one I plan to own so I'll pass on this one, but I haven't bought a Black Widow yet so this CW version may be it. Hot Toys may be finding that their customer base is expanding and it's not just the same people coming back for more. Sure, there are plenty of those, and I am sure there is a market for people who like multiples, but there may also be plenty of people out there who haven't collected any previous version of these characters. New customers are not as likely to be on forums like this one, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there and want to buy their first Captain America, Black Widow or Hawkeye ect.

I think what we don't know is how many people will these be their first Hawkeye or Black Widow? I just got AOU Hawkeye, and is the only one I plan to own so I'll pass on this none, but I haven't bought a Black Widow yet so this CW version may be it. Hot Toys may be finding that their customer base is expanding and it's not just the same people coming back for more. Sure, there are plenty of those, and I am sure there is a market for people who like multiples, but there may also be plenty of people out there who haven't collected any previous version of these characters. New customers are not as likely to be on forums like this one, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there and want to buy their first Captain America, Black Widow or Iron Man ect.

Well said!

I really think HT is shooting themselves in the foot and are creating lots of pegwarmers, which devalues their figures. People aren't going to be able to collect all the releases, and I don't think there's enough new customers that can fill the gaps.

Just my two cents though :dunno

I would say that the Hawkeye figure is definitely justified considering he is one of the few characters in CW that actually has a completely new looking costume. And some people prefer some looks over others and should have the chance to chose. For Hawkeye I just get them all :)

If anyone shouldn't have a new figure it should be Cap and Iron Man considering the many, many variations there are of those two. But then again, I'm glad there is a Cap as I didn't get the AoU one and I still haven't gotten an Iron Man as well. I do prefer that they make new headsculpts, at least for someone like BW where they still haven't nailed it (dead-eyed look) or at least more accessories, especially if the figures are quite similar to the older ones. The only release I really don't understand is Vision as it is the exact same figure and the other one is not sold out yet.

I'm possibly a little prone to agree that the lineup for AoU was a little excessive, but I think Civil War would be a little weird if all the characters from the two sides didn't get a figure? Who makes the cut and who doesn't?

If you are going carbon copies, then yes, that Vision figure is the most unneccessary figure ever made going on the shots we've seen. Maybe they should have skipped AoU and saved him for Civil War.. In second place for me would be Cap, but seriously you aren't going to have a Captain America : Civil War movie without a Cap being made. And if they are going for Widow it needs to blow TWS out of the park, and it doesn't look like it does so far. Same restrictive skinny female body figure, and it doesn't look like an improved head.. just a couple of body accessories and weapons.

The other side of the coin is Thor. Ok the first movie was a long time ago before Hot Toy MCU-itis took over and there were 75 different Iron Man figures, but looking back it is absolutely criminal that a Throne Loki figure has never been made, yet due to his popularity he got a figure from TDW which was a cut down Avengers version (not Hot Toys fault, they don't design the characters, but maybe they could have done something different like a prison cell version).. and yet Loki wasn't even the lead villain in the sequel (just the scene stealer as usual)

I appreciate all the responses and can see why fans would buy multiple figures of characters they like.

I guess, for me, there's no rush to buy any of these figures since we know a new, improved version is just a year away. :lol

I am kinda thinking for both the MCU and DCU, I will wait until the final films (if that ever happens) and then pick my favorite version of each character. Not sure if I will have the willpower, but it just makes the most sense to me. I'll probably cave and order a few though and since I don't have any of the earlier versions, I guess it won't be too bad. :lol

I think what we don't know is how many people will these be their first Hawkeye or Black Widow? I just got AOU Hawkeye, and is the only one I plan to own so I'll pass on this one, but I haven't bought a Black Widow yet so this CW version may be it. Hot Toys may be finding that their customer base is expanding and it's not just the same people coming back for more. Sure, there are plenty of those, and I am sure there is a market for people who like multiples, but there may also be plenty of people out there who haven't collected any previous version of these characters. New customers are not as likely to be on forums like this one, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there and want to buy their first Captain America, Black Widow or Hawkeye ect.

Smart man(or woman).

Just becuase they have made figures in past doesn't mean everyone currently a customer buys them. A large percentage of collectors will burn out after 18-24 months. So there is a large influx (they hope) of new collectors each year or two. And of this that stay long term only a small percentage buys everything. Most people pick and choose films, brands, characters based on a large list of personal preferences and financial options.

Just look at the join dates of the forum members to see how it varies. Not all started collecting when they joined (me for example) but it's a good example in general. There are new collectors every week here. And if you go by age...there are a few that where in middle school when iron man 2 came out...lol so age factors in to. Lol

I appreciate all the responses and can see why fans would buy multiple figures of characters they like.

I guess, for me, there's no rush to buy any of these figures since we know a new, improved version is just a year away. :lol

I am kinda thinking for both the MCU and DCU, I will wait until the final films (if that ever happens) and then pick my favorite version of each character. Not sure if I will have the willpower, but it just makes the most sense to me. I'll probably cave and order a few though and since I don't have any of the earlier versions, I guess it won't be too bad. :lol

As for the idea I won't buy any becuase there's a new one coming...might as well not collect. Becuase there's a new one after next years, and the next and next, if you thought that in 2008 you still would not have a single iron man, bw, cap, Thor...yea, there will always be another. But if you don't buy any then what is the point? There's always a new phone, car, house, computer, shirt, boots coming later as well. Nature of the market.

Back