Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both, Wilson's sniping is actually easily the most realistic aspect of that shoot out.:lol

Btw, how do falcon fans feel about this film? I don't really know the character, but I was less impressed with Falcon than I thought. He kinda felt underwhelming between Rogers, Winter and even Widow. Am I the exception there or...?

I was making a similar argument after I saw this with comparison to political espionage/thriller movies. But the fact that it may not be the best thing ever made doesn't detract from the fact that it's a really really good comic book movie. One of the best in a long time (actually, I personally think Thor 2 might be better, but apart from that. . .). And so I get the excitement and exuberance that some have about it. Having said that, I'm not sure that realism feeds into my assessment of action movies in general. Thinking about a movie with realistic action, the first thing that comes to mind is Day of the Jackal (another political espionage-type movie!). And though I think that movie is fantastic, the action/killing parts aren't always very entertaining. When it's genuinely realistic, it's actually kind of hard to do that, because it's quick, brutal, and not always flashy or exciting. Of course, the Bourne movies are also pretty dang over the top with the fighting, even if there may be more realism permeating any given scene.

I really liked how they portrayed Sam. In the comics he's a good friend who can hold his own in a fight and speak to Cap as an equal even if his fighting prowess isn't on the same level and I thought they did a great job of capturing that in the movie. I'm glad they didn't make him telepathic to birds though (but it'd be fun if they find a cool way for him to have a pet falcon in the next one.)

It's hard to name a genuinely realistic action film. Black Hawk Down maybe, actually, though small in scale, Soderbergh's Haywire is a definite recommendation. Now THAT has realistic fights in it because Gina Carano can actually do everything herself. I recommend that film, beautiful cinematography as well (duh it's soderbergh). It's a very smalls cale, but it's lovely gritty.

But yeah true Bourne isn't at all like 'overwehlming' didn't mean it like that.

And I agree Winter Soldier is one of the best modern CB movies to date. Undeniable top 10 inclusion. There's at least 5 films before it for me though, can you guess which ones? Hint, it's not Thor 2.:lol

I always here a lot about The Raid but I haven't seen that.

I've been vocal in my opposition to making Wilson a military guy, but I think it's no huge deal considering that the character probably wouldn't be included at all if they couldn't easily slip him into the story, and making him military obviously allows for that.

I saw Haywire twice (which is rare for me with a newer film), and like it quite a bit. The action there does feel more realistic than in most movies, but even there you get folks mixing it up in hand-to-hand fights when one unexpected move or gun shot out of nowhere would probably "realistically" end the conflict instead. The fight with Fassbender being an example. But that's not very exciting! So no blame to those guys.

Road to Perdition was a comic movie, technically, but I don't include it in my list of comic films. If I did include that sort of thing, History of Violence would be the number 1 comic film of all time in my mind, and unlikely to be rivaled in my lifetime. It's one of my all-time favorite movies, and I consider it an almost perfectly made movie.

You see, I deleted my message because I didn't want to lose an ally of the only other person on the forum who apparently didn't despise Thor 2, but now you've gone and made a mortal enemy. It's on, Khev. Like a steamy pot of neck bones. How dare you dislike what I love??????

*insert angry Anakin Skywalker gif here*

I've been vocal in my opposition to making Wilson a military guy, but I think it's no huge deal considering that the character probably wouldn't be included at all if they couldn't easily slip him into the story, and making him military obviously allows for that.

I saw Haywire twice (which is rare for me with a newer film), and like it quite a bit. The action there does feel more realistic than in most movies, but even there you get folks mixing it up in hand-to-hand fights when one unexpected move or gun shot out of nowhere would probably "realistically" end the conflict instead. The fight with Fassbender being an example. But that's not very exciting! So no blame to those guys.

Road to Perdition was a comic movie, technically, but I don't include it in my list of comic films. If I did include that sort of thing, History of Violence would be the number 1 comic film of all time in my mind, and unlikely to be rivaled in my lifetime. It's one of my all-time favorite movies, and I consider it an almost perfectly made movie.

WHy were you opposed to WIlson as military? Too far from the CB version?

About Haywire, holy **** man, we actually agree on something!:lol

I appreciated History of Violence but I can't say I was blown away by it as neither a film as a whole, nor as a CB film.

You see, I deleted my message because I didn't want to lose an ally of the only other person on the forum who apparently didn't despise Thor 2, but now you've gone and made a mortal enemy. It's on, Khev. Like a steamy pot of neck bones. How dare you dislike what I love??????

*insert angry Anakin Skywalker gif here*

Really, Thor 2 is despised, I never got that impression since i've moved in here.

I like it, even with the corny Odin narrative intro: "Before there was light (or life), there were dark elves". :lol

wut.

How about Hobbits. :lol

Malekith was no Winter Soldier, or even Frost Giant King, more like Mandarin quality.

Still though, movie was very fun, some awesome parts and a good addition to the MCU.

I'm just torn which I prefer, 1 or 2. :gah:

I just repeated karamov's deleted post (which was dissing TFA.) :lol

I actually liked Thor 1 quite a bit.

So do I.

More of an emotional impact than Thor 2.

Really, Thor 2 is despised, I never got that impression since i've moved in here.

I like it, even with the corny Odin narrative intro: "Before there was light (or life), there were dark elves". :lol

wut.

:lol

"And then something happened the aether did not expect. The most unlikely of creatures came upon it. Soon would come a time when Jane Foster would shape the forchoons of us all."

So do I.

More of an emotional impact than Thor 2.

Thor 1: More emotional (the music as the hammer resurrects him gets me every time)

Thor 2: More fun

Yeah, I've seen a lot of guys saying that Thor 2 was crap for various reasons, though they often cite the not funny, but supposed to be funny sidekick given to the the not funny, but supposed to be funny sidekick. Which is fine if folks don't like that, but I didn't think it played any notably detrimental role to the film.

WHy were you opposed to WIlson as military? Too far from the CB version?
Yeah, because he was distinctive in the comic, being a social activist/social worker guy. In the movie, he's an ex-military counselor guy, which is sorta kinda related, but not really. And he had the wacky backstory of being brainwashed into being a pimp (though I suppose that could happen in Cap 3 :lol).

It's just like they did (and of course, as the Ultimates did first), of taking a pretty interesting and distinctive character in Hawkeye, and just making him a generic bad-ass soldier because it's easy, and most viewers won't complain.

I personally enjoyed Thor 1, and all the Marvel Studios movies so far actually, but felt it underachieved a bit. My expectations were a bit high though, because I knew Branaugh was capable of making a really good film.

Back