Burton + Depp = Dark Shadows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMFG!

What the hell are Burton and Depp doing to my show?!?!?!?!??!

Been hearing it will be "campy", but the show was never meant to be campy, that's what really bothers me - it only comes off that way at times because it's dated and there was a lack of reshooting.

The show was played very seriously.

He looks hideous. I doubt I'll even watch this.

OMFG!

Been hearing it will be "campy", but the show was never meant to be campy, ....

How many overwrought vampire shows are there now? The last thing we need is another vampire movie taking itself too seriously. I'd like to see Burton channel some of his Beetlejuice sense of humor for this one.

No, it won't be the Dark Shadows from the late 60's, but that's OK.

Dark Shadows had a tone all of its own, very gothic, nothing like many of the other vampire shows/movies out there today.

Burton doesn't have to make a joke out of it to make it stand out, it would do it all on its own.

But I was afraid they would take this over the top and make it silly, because that seems to be what Burton and Depp are into these days, with the exception of Sweeney Todd.

Dark Shadows is my favorite television show of all time, and I was originally so excited to see Depp get the part because my mother and I used to talk about him being a good choice if they ever made a film. I can't get excited for it if Burton and Depp turn it into a joke.

I had never heard of Dark Shadows until this thread either :dunno:

No. I did a quick search and on Wiki it states:

"Dark Shadows is a gothic soap opera that originally aired weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966 to April 2, 1971"

I was born after '71 so that might explain having not heard of this. :dunno

Didn't you guys ever watched the 90's re-make?...

I was born in '81

I remember watching the movies on tv

The B&W original series or the remake series?

I suspect Burton is doing this in Black and White. I took that first pic into Photoshop and took out all the color and played with the B/W levels, and it makes more sense.

Even if that's the case, it still looks silly... I mean, if it were more a Caligari Ceasar-esque look it would be fine, but right now it just looks lame...

OMFG!

Been hearing it will be "campy", but the show was never meant to be campy, that's what really bothers me - it only comes off that way at times because it's dated and there was a lack of reshooting.

He looks hideous. I doubt I'll even watch this.

Gotta agree with you there...
the "campiness" was due to microphones showing and people forgetting their lines, but overall it was supposed to be serious... Barnabas was intimidating and melancholic, and the whole story was quite good! (Except for all the non-Barnabas drama) :lol

How many overwrought vampire shows are there now? The last thing we need is another vampire movie taking itself too seriously. I'd like to see Burton channel some of his Beetlejuice sense of humor for this one.

No, it won't be the Dark Shadows from the late 60's, but that's OK.

I love Beetlejuice but Dark Shadows SHOULD be serious... comparing it to current "vampire" series is ridiculous...

Dark Shadows had a tone all of its own, very gothic, nothing like many of the other vampire shows/movies out there today.

Burton doesn't have to make a joke out of it to make it stand out, it would do it all on its own.

But I was afraid they would take this over the top and make it silly, because that seems to be what Burton and Depp are into these days, with the exception of Sweeney Todd.

Dark Shadows is my favorite television show of all time, and I was originally so excited to see Depp get the part because my mother and I used to talk about him being a good choice if they ever made a film. I can't get excited for it if Burton and Depp turn it into a joke.

:clap

I really hope this is just some sort of dream/flashback scene that has a weird look to it...
I still have faith in Burton... :S

Come on guys it's a random shot of Depp outside... that's it... let's not lose control.... I love DS too and I'm not about to boycott the film just yet!...:) Calm... everybody calm..........:)

Come on guys it's a random shot of Depp outside... that's it... let's not lose control.... I love DS too and I'm not about to boycott the film just yet!...:) Calm... everybody calm..........:)

panic_button.jpg

From Latino Review:

(excerpt from an interview with Chloe Moretz)
The busy young woman also has a role in director Tim Burton's adaptation of the popular television show, 'Dark Shadows.' She plays Carolyn Stoddard. On the character, she said:

"Oh, Carolyn, that’s a fun character. That’s a really fun character. She is crazy. She is this teenager, like 15-year-old hippie who is into The Carpenters and Alice Cooper. She’s super music-y and raw, like free love, you know. She’s fun. I can’t say much because he has a really dark secret I can’t tell you."

Asked if the secret she made mention of is something that fans of the television show would be aware of, Moretz replied:

"No, it’s new. It’s new to everything so go see it. May of next year, Dark Shadows!"

After yesterday's set photos from the film, some may be wondering what kind of vibe Burton is going for. Moretz described it as:

"It’s Tim Burton so it’s like Beetlejuice. I have to say it’s a mixture of Beetlejuice, a teeny bit of Sweeney and the scariness of Sweeney but the fun of Sleepy Hollow with the scariness of Sleepy Hollow. I’d definitely say it’s a lot like Sleepy Hollow because you go from the Ichabod Crane character to the Headless Horseman who’s comedic and yet terrifying. It straddles that fine line of camp and drama so it’s like a drama horromedy thriller."

Last edited:
Official first look...

dark-shadows_810.jpg

Willie looks great, not sure if next to Elizabeth is supposed to be Roger or Jason, but it was a very arrogant look. Like it...
Not too sure about the rest though... Barnabas looks a lot better though... and Carter looks like the freaking Queen from Alice again... ugh...

Back