Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much done with the armor repaint. Still need to "weather" it all making it darker and adding 'scratches'.

Talk about something I never want to do again! I close my eyes and see camo swirls...
20160626_183008~2.jpg

Doing the graffiti and name on this one over the weekend certainly was more somber than I expected.
20160626_183013.jpg

Rest in peace, Trevor "Ski" Steedman.

Woah, you must have some very steady hands. And are probably half blind by now... Great work man!

Thanks. I am cheating on the name stencils. I got the correct font and loaded it into 'word' then just printed the names on to some water slide decals.

Made some more progress that I hope takes things to the 'next level'.

Scratch built a couple more helmet covers from sleeves
20160628_225049.jpg20160628_225013.jpg
20160628_225409.jpg

Added the "gaskets" to the shin guards.
20160627_221320.jpg

Some more accurate 'personalization'
20160627_220639.jpg

Still need to scratch up and 'weather' the armor. Hopefully tonight! This long PITA journey is nearing an end (at least the armor part. I get to re-address the heads on everyone after that...)

Re: Customizing your Marines: TIPS

That looks awesome. What did you use for Frost's patch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking very impressive. A whole squad kitted out will be a sight to see!

Just to add to the questions, what did you make the band around the helmets from? My Hudson one dried out so the elastic stretched and is now way to big so need to replace it.

Absolutely amazing work BB! Really like the gaskets added on the shin guards.

Thanks!

That looks awesome. What did you use for Frost's patch?

It is actually just some tape from a first aid kit. I worried it would fade or become transparent over time, so after I positioned it, I gave it a coat of white paint right on the top of it to sort of seal it/plaster it down. Then just careful brush work with the red.

Looking very impressive. A whole squad kitted out will be a sight to see!

Just to add to the questions, what did you make the band around the helmets from? My Hudson one dried out so the elastic stretched and is now way to big so need to replace it.

I bought some white elastic from a craft store. I think it was 1/8" diameter in a 3 foot roll for like $3 (a lifetime supply!). I cut and liquid stitched the bands together then hit it with some tan spray paint. It has held up pretty well. I did the helmet bands several years ago and they are still pretty good.

So I went and 'weathered' a few small pieces here and am pretty darn happy with the results so far!
20160629_112052.jpg
(unweathered ones below the weathered ones)

20160629_114606.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Just another comparison with some 'finished' (as I plan to make them for now) weathered sets surrounding an unweathered set.

20160629_211059.jpg

And some test fitting with my man Hicks
20160629_230752.jpg
20160629_230814.jpg
20160629_231000.jpg

I have done so much, yet I still have so far to go. Need to work out the knives (still scratch building myself) and repaint pretty much every head I have in the squad. Also I like the fade I gave the BDUs, but they need a bit more grime (don't want to go overboard on the 'grime' as most were killed before they could get too dirty! Hicks, Hudson and Vaz need to be dirtied up a bit though...)

:thud:

I'm wordless Bigbisont.

Let me ask you: where did you get the hardware? 3D prints from 3D scans from HT originals?
And the gaskets? And the straps thereof? And what are you going to do use for the shoulder lamps? Any intention to make them with light-up capabilities?

m.

:thud:

I'm wordless Bigbisont.

Let me ask you: where did you get the hardware? 3D prints from 3D scans from HT originals?
And the gaskets? And the straps thereof? And what are you going to do use for the shoulder lamps? Any intention to make them with light-up capabilities?

m.

Thanks!

Hardware was acquired over years of collecting and scooping everything I could get my hands on. Head is always on a swivel for something I could use! The armor, straps, and gear is all original hot toys parts that were repainted. I showed how I modified the webbing and pouches a few pages back.

Some uniforms are the "alien killer" knockoffs that were out for a while. I used those on the characters that had short sleeves (as they can't unroll with that awful seam sewn in about elbow level) and used the real Hot Toys BDUs on Characters with long sleeves. I then used the forearm material in front of that seam from the 'alien killer' sleeves to make the helmet covers.

'The gaskets' were some black material from the bottom of a re-usable grocery bag. It was on the inside of the bag and I just pulled it out. Not sure what it is. Its not quite rubber, but not quite plastic. It was easy to cut and looks good though.

I have no plans to run lights to the shoulder lamps just yet. Maybe in a couple months I'll get bored and revisit that though. My 1:1 projects are piling up again and I need to try and wrap this up!

I want to buy some of this. Two of them. One original the other can be a copy.
7c982d1355754b969dd48f75a4aa0969.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Just want to share my WIP Frost with you all. Still have a few more things to add before I can be satisfied

Image1467859998.820979.jpg

Just want to share my WIP Frost with you all. Still have a few more things to add before I can be satisfied

View attachment 275114

Love it, well done!

My Hicks head painted will arrive soon. I am planning on making him a new shotgun holster, HTs looks too toyish.

Love it, well done!

My Hicks head painted will arrive soon. I am planning on making him a new shotgun holster, HTs looks too toyish.

I can't wait to see the painted Hicks head from Rocco. Mine is still sitting in the cabinet until I decide on a painter.

Back