Building a Custom-built Gaming PC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like everybody else said, build your own. It's not only cheaper, but it's actually quite fun to assemble it yourself.

Seconded, or thirded. . . whichever one we're at.

It was so exciting pushing the power button after I put everything together. The first time I did it, I heard an awful clicking sound, so I shut it off real quick, but I realized it was just a loose cord that was brushing against the CPU fan, so once I tucked it back away, I booted 'er back up, and she was whisper quiet. It was a beautiful moment.

Though the first night's sleep with a super quiet computer was kinda odd when you're used to the soft hum of a loud case fan.

The deed is done. Ordered all the components tonight. Cost less than I expected too. Win.

The build is complete and I'm posting from it right now. Don't have any new games to see what it can do, but I'm going to rectify that tomorrow with The Old Republic.

Intel i5 2500K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb DDR3 1600
500GB HDD

computer1m.jpg

computer2x.jpg

The cable management situation is a little messier than I'd like, but it's not a modular power supply, so it complicates things.

Congrats!
GTX560ti is a good card!
As for games, I'm sure you will fill up that HDD pretty soon!

very nice.
with the GC and 8G of ram you're going to have some fun.

The 500G may fill fast though. In a future upgrade, just FYI, what I like to do is put windows on a separate 10K rpm HDD (or SSD if you want to splurge).
It helps make the OS a bit faster and if you ever need to format all your other stuff is safe.

Welcome to the new life of making the exact computer you want for cheaper :)

Nice job, Not too terribly difficult once you got going, was it :D

Alienware.......Alienware!!! They specialize in gaming PC/Laptop.

I prefer to build my own desktop too....ez as buying statues! LOL. But if you don't have the time/patience/knowledge, then spend the $$$ on Alienware!!!! Heck, I am not rich enough for the aliens! Hewlet Packages for me!

Avoid alienware like the plague. Everything is low quality, overclocked to hell, and they burn out/wear out/ break far too easily for what you paid.

The build is complete and I'm posting from it right now. Don't have any new games to see what it can do, but I'm going to rectify that tomorrow with The Old Republic.

Intel i5 2500K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heatsink
EVGA GTX 560 Ti
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb DDR3 1600
500GB HDD

computer1m.jpg

computer2x.jpg

The cable management situation is a little messier than I'd like, but it's not a modular power supply, so it complicates things.

Looks like you got an extra slot on your MOBO!

Get another GTX 560 and SLI! =D

very nice.
with the GC and 8G of ram you're going to have some fun.

The 500G may fill fast though. In a future upgrade, just FYI, what I like to do is put windows on a separate 10K rpm HDD (or SSD if you want to splurge).
It helps make the OS a bit faster and if you ever need to format all your other stuff is safe.

Welcome to the new life of making the exact computer you want for cheaper :)

You may be right, but now that I know what I'm doing I could always add a second drive later. Maybe when SSD prices come down.

He would still need his 500GB for all the other stuff (games, anime, mp3s....).
But down the line you are correct.

Yeah, the SSD is primarily for the OS and core programs, maybe a couple of games. The rest of the media on external drives.

Played SW: The Old Republic last night for the first time, everything pretty much maxed out. Great game and it ran very smoothly. It's great to be back with PC gaming.

Last edited:
noob question ..

if i'm gonna build my own Gaming PC .. i can't use my Existing weak PC to mod? or do i have to start from scratch and purchase every part

Back