Budget Stark - "First Look" 1/4 scale Iron Man MK43 Avengers 2, Age of Ultron

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Budget Stark - "First Look" 1/4 scale Iron Man MK43 Avengers 2, Age of Ultron

The 1/4 looks as good as a Legacy Effects maquette, while the 1/6 looks like a shiny, anorexic would be iron man.

It may not be the way you like it, but all these suits are shiny. And skinny.

Re: Budget Stark - "First Look" 1/4 scale Iron Man MK43 Avengers 2, Age of Ultron

The 1/4 looks like a person can actually fit in there.

Maybe a 1/6 person. It looks bigger because it is physically larger. But that doesn't mean it looks more like the movie. Or real.

And the shiny vs dull/matte being real or realistic is an argument I dont get. It's paint. Either one could be used on any substance. And the suits made for the movies, both by legacy later and Stan Winston for the early films where painted with automotive paint with a gloss. The 1/1 and the 1/2 and 1/4 mock up stuff.

I get having a preference to a look. But that's usually all it is. Neither one would actually work as a real world armor. The only iron man that could come close would be the Hulkbuster and iron monger. That's how large and bulky they would need to be to function in the manner depicted in the movies.

The suit in the movie is skinny. It's like two inches thick. There's a scene when pepper is about to kiss it/him and is standing in front of the suit(and yes I know in the story Starks not in the suit but it should still be the same size) and has her hands around the waist...the suit is barley wider then she is. And she has her arms at her sides elbows almost touching her body and going straight out and they are on the suits waist. Showing the suit is skinny.

So it's just a matter of what looks better to you. One is not way more realistic then the other. Both are about equally screen accurate. And neither is realistic as a functional suit. The paint on the screen used suit is not quite as polished as the 1/6 but it's still an automotive gloss paint, so the 1/4 paint isn't right on either. So it's more a matter of preference. I can see both sides being right and wrong. I like both versions. If the 1/4 isn't crazy priced I'll pick it up. I've alread ordered the 1/6. Both have a few things better then the other one, but neither is spot on. And when you scale down a mostly digital fake suit of robotic armor and make it mass produced as a collectible you will always have discrepancies. The legacy and Winston mock ups cost tens of thousands of dollars on average. And are all hand made 1/1 items. Well for the most part. They don't have to be articulated or designed to stand up as a collectible. They are essentialy custom high end statues that cost a boat load of money.

Maybe a 1/6 person. It looks bigger because it is physically larger. But that doesn't mean it looks more like the movie. Or real.

And the shiny vs dull/matte being real or realistic is an argument I dont get. It's paint. Either one could be used on any substance. And the suits made for the movies, both by legacy later and Stan Winston for the early films where painted with automotive paint with a gloss. The 1/1 and the 1/2 and 1/4 mock up stuff.

I get having a preference to a look. But that's usually all it is. Neither one would actually work as a real world armor. The only iron man that could come close would be the Hulkbuster and iron monger. That's how large and bulky they would need to be to function in the manner depicted in the movies.

The suit in the movie is skinny. It's like two inches thick. There's a scene when pepper is about to kiss it/him and is standing in front of the suit(and yes I know in the story Starks not in the suit but it should still be the same size) and has her hands around the waist...the suit is barley wider then she is. And she has her arms at her sides elbows almost touching her body and going straight out and they are on the suits waist. Showing the suit is skinny.

So it's just a matter of what looks better to you. One is not way more realistic then the other. Both are about equally screen accurate. And neither is realistic as a functional suit. The paint on the screen used suit is not quite as polished as the 1/6 but it's still an automotive gloss paint, so the 1/4 paint isn't right on either. So it's more a matter of preference. I can see both sides being right and wrong. I like both versions. If the 1/4 isn't crazy priced I'll pick it up. I've alread ordered the 1/6. Both have a few things better then the other one, but neither is spot on. And when you scale down a mostly digital fake suit of robotic armor and make it mass produced as a collectible you will always have discrepancies. The legacy and Winston mock ups cost tens of thousands of dollars on average. And are all hand made 1/1 items. Well for the most part. They don't have to be articulated or designed to stand up as a collectible. They are essentialy custom high end statues that cost a boat load of money.

Thanks for stating that, I was at a loss as to why people were saying this was more realistic or makes the 1:6 scale look less than decent??? All we're getting is a bigger version of an idealised suit of armor, that's all I think of it as anyway. :)

That's a good way to look at it. I try to look at each item as its own individual piece, without comparing it to something else as mush as I can anyway, and then figure out if I like it. Then I look at what it's supposed to be and how it compares to source material after that. Then I may compare it to other products to evaluate value for price. Everyone's got some type of system, even if it's the "oh pretty me want". Lol but for me I found getting to wrapped up in this figure vs that figure and all that takes half the joy out of it. I just look at each figure and find out if it is something I like, regardless of it being any scale, or price, or Bd vs clean, or from a certain movie, or if it is screen accurate. I judge each one on its individual quality(paint, production, engineering, artistry ect) before I ever consider the other stuff. And then the other stuff is just to see if it's good value for money mostly. Of course eventually I get to the normal 1/6 vs 1/4 or 1/1 or older release vs newer. But that's all well after I've choosen if I will or won't buy the figure. I know I'm a bit strange, as people like to point out here, but all I really care about in regards to collecting is if it makes me happy. When I was younger I never gave two Winnie the poohs how or why a toy/collectible/car ect was made a certain way. I still use that mode as my intial judge, but I've also come to really admire and appreciate the art and skill and business that goes into making things. Anyway, I try not to get all caught up in which one looks more like the real thing or better or any of that, just look at it and if I like it, say in a vacuum as if it was a unique design only one in the world not based on anything or nothing like it, looking at it that way, do I enjoy it. From that point I take the other stuff into account. Unfortunately I can't buy everything not would I have the room for it all. So I get having to make the call which one you want. It's more or less what some people do anyway..but take a subjective thing and try to make it factual.

I tend to stick with companies that I know make good quality collectibles (or at least ones that have impressed me anyway), that way I can concentrate more on what's being offered & not worry so much about product issues, it doesn't always work out though but thankfully on the whole I've had no real dramas with my purchases. I have liked everything I've bought so far Hot Toys wise so I'm quite happy to just look at the figure & decide if I want it or not, Iron Man makes it an easy yes more often than not & from the looks of this figure so far I'm happy it'll make a worthy addition to my collection, I'd also quite like a mark 42 version even though it'd just be a repaint really, I just saw the mark 43 in the Toy Soul video & already had plans for a display (Hulkbuster with the 1:4 scale mark 43 & 42 either side of it, if they make the 42 as well but I'm assuming they will). :) I'm limited on space myself, bigger items wise it would only be 3 or 4 I'd buy as I mainly like to stick with 1:6 scale, I can display more that way..., I've never been hung up on accuracy that much, as long as it looks how I think it should then I'm happy enough (if that makes sense). :)

Back