BSG license: I hear things, yes I do...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironman1188 said:
The original was/is Battlestar Galactica.
Galactica 1980.....well, that was somewhat a nightmare.
This new one? Thats a show that the makers didn't have enough faith in to stand on its own as science fiction, so they appropriated the Galactica name.
Hmmmm, come to think of it I guess that makes the new one closer to Galactica 1980. :lol

No man, it's not that they appropriated the Galactica name, it's that they realized that what worked in the 70s doesn't translate into today. And they also realized that the only people who have ever heard of the show are in their 30s now so they set the show for a more mature audience. And thirdly they realized that as cool as the old show was in its time and as cool as the concepts were, it was far, far from the success of Star Wars or even the cult hit of Star Trek and therefore if it was going to have a chance at succeeding today, it was going to need some changes. Or at least that's my take on it.

So, the Lost in Space remake would've been a hit had they made the parents both women, Don was black, Judy was chinese and Penny and Will were both adopted?
I guess my biggest beef with all these remakes and re-imaginings is they feel everything has to be Politically Correct. If you have to "update" BSG, then update it. Make it so many years later, explain the Cylon evolution and what changes occured in the crew since last we saw the fleet and continue the story. Don't make Starbuck a girl, Boomer a cylon girl, Tighe white when he was black and the worst abomination....Commander Cain now a woman as well!!!!
At least Burton had the sense to re-imagine Planet of the Apes with a whole different cast, lousy script, but a new cast of characters.

Even I wasn't happy with the changes before I saw the mini-series. Now I couldn't care less about them. Everything they've done with the new show is so vastly superior to the original that it doesn't matter. Sometimes you have to let go of the past... Especially when it wasn't that great to begin with.

What may not be so great to some may bring very fond memories to others.
Let's remake "Game of Death" with Cynthia Rothrock!!
"Dirty Harry" with Drew Barrymore!!
And wait till you see how much fun the "Blazing Saddles" reimagining will be!!

Ironman1188 said:

I'm sorry. Let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.

You dislike the new BSG because it diminishes your memories of the original?

Ironman1188 said:
But these were all undeniably good to begin with. And just because we remember them to be good.

pixletwin said:
I'm sorry. Let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.

You dislike the new BSG because it diminishes your memories of the original?

No, my "fond memory" statement was in refernce to Batty's Especially when it wasn't that great to begin with. comment. I never said I dislike the show, although I'll admit I have not watched it much. What I do dislike, if that word works better for you, is the constant state of PC-ism that everyone feels it necessary to rise up to. I guess I don't like change. I like my characters the way they were originally intended.

I like both versions of the series very much, but the shows are apples and oranges. However, I would only want dolls of the original series characters.

The new series, while amazing, isn't a series I interested in seeing merchandise from. Not as visually interesting as the original.

I find the new show exploitive and sensationalist and that's why I love it!! But with the abortion episodes, the examination of multiple religions where the bad guys are evangelical bible thumpers, the applicability to Desert Storm II and the "War on Terror" not to mention Starbuck's and Apolo's extramarital affair this season, I wouldn't call it politically correct. And that's also why I love it.

Ironman1188 said:
No, my "fond memory" statement was in refernce to Batty's Especially when it wasn't that great to begin with. comment. I never said I dislike the show, although I'll admit I have not watched it much. What I do dislike, if that word works better for you, is the constant state of PC-ism that everyone feels it necessary to rise up to. I guess I don't like change. I like my characters the way they were originally intended.
I meant no disrespect to your memories. We all see things differently. And I don't dislike the original series...It holds a fond spot in my own memories. The premier was a huge deal. Everyone was calling it the next Star Wars (Ralph McQuarrie did the concept art!). I made sure I watched it every single week. And now I own the DVD box set in the Cylon head and have the soundtrack on CD. But given the choice, I'd watch the new show over the old any day.

One thing: I'm not sure what you mean about the "constant state of PC-ism". Who or what was being PC?

Edit- I just saw your post, gdb. I never thought the new show set out to be PC either.

HA! It never even entered my mind that they were being PC when they made those changes - I just figured they were being creative. :rolleyes:

Batty, what Iron is implying is that they changed Starbuck to a woman, Boomer to an Asian, etc... to squash any protests about it being a white male dominated show... which I say (no disrespect to you Iron) pure non-sense.

pixletwin said:
Batty, what Iron is implying is that they changed Starbuck to a woman, Boomer to an Asian, etc... to squash any protests about it being a white male dominated show... which I say (no disrespect to you Iron) pure non-sense.
Right. I never saw it that way to begin with. That's why I was confused. But I'm confused a lot anyway...

I always just saw it as an excuse to put some hot ladies on the show. And I say well done. :monkey5

Although if someone were to tell me back in 1978 when I was just a little gdb that Starbuck would fall into Apolo's arms and that they would do the nasty under the stars before declaring their love for each other I would not have believed them.

Last edited:
PF Six with glowing red back. With Tricia Helfer's recent Playboy appearance the sculptors have all the reference material they need! :monkey3

Re: G-80:2.0 license: Maybe just a few 6's! ;)

I have to admit that the new version of Galactica 1980 is vastly superior to the original Galactica 1980, but for different reasons than most give it credit for. Oh sure, they still use the concept of humanoid Cylons and overly dramatic writing for dated social commentary, but now they use those ideas to much greater effect.

It was so creative of them to insert (some say stole) elements from other productions such as Wing Commander ship designs and Star Trek plots and insert thm into the new G80:2.0. But the most creative thing was to use the original show title Battlestar Galactica to confuse the stupid! LOL, that was great!!

Sadly, the sophisticated-camp nature of the humor escapes many in the audience, because everything from the recycling of Stargate SG-1 props, (P-90s as 'alien' weapons for example!) to the use of Hummers with Canadian license plates as 'alien' cars as subliminal sight-gags on the audience, are brilliant!

PC is not even a question here, it makes fun of it to the extreme! On one hand, they have 'new', 'strong' female characters, on the other, they summarily eliminated all the female characters without any regard for them and had to change the sex of males to get strong characters!:lol Oh and the ethnic issue! Wow, how many people's heads does that one fly over??

The highest ranking AA character is no longer even an officer! -And a woman to boot! The two ranking AA officers have been eliminated from the story! This includes EJO's comment about how he believes himself the first Latino to star in such a role.

You know he had to be joking right? Richardo Montalban, Duncan Renaldo, and Lynda Carter don't count do they? Actors from other ethnic groups don't count either like Pat Morita, Dean Cain and Keanu Reeves! LOL

What about that quirky technology that allows for faster than light travel, but not stealth?! :rotfl No energy weapons, mocking military slang(21st century U.S. slang only!), reversing polytheistic/monotheistic beliefs, anti-Semetic overtones in the 'heroes' and so much 'Moore' than that.

If you take it as a serious show and you are intelligent, you will only see a poorly executed, shallow, self-important, anti-sci fi, soap rant. It is dated and it's themes will lose any relevance in coming years, but just look under the surface and you see a highly sophisticated comedy of our generation.

It is like watching Andy Kaufman beating up on a woman...it makes fun of you, don't you get it??

Now back to figures:

6's and Lucy Lawlesses definitely! Maybe sneak in there a Dr Z!:lol

:cool:

gdb said:
I find the new show exploitive and sensationalist and that's why I love it!! But with the abortion episodes, the examination of multiple religions where the bad guys are evangelical bible thumpers, the applicability to Desert Storm II and the "War on Terror" not to mention Starbuck's and Apolo's extramarital affair this season, I wouldn't call it politically correct. And that's also why I love it.

It is very "politically correct" - in that it hits all the lefts favourite talking points. Its politically incorrect to the same degree the Dixie Chicks were "courageous" to say that they hate Bush. Then again - almost everything that comes of out Hollywood plays to that side of politics. Watch Team America for the list usual suspects in that regard.

And that is in very strong contrast to the right wing nature of the original series - where the "peacemakers" were duped over and over by the Cylons, and it was only the Military that kept them alive.

That aside I love the show.

I don't know about Australia but back in 2002 it was pretty courageous to criticize Bush in America. And it's not pc in America to tackle the subjects the show does today. As for what the left's talking points are, the only one I know of is to pay attention to the man behind the curtain and I haven't seen that in the show yet.

The original show didn't have a right wing bent, by the way, it had a Mormon bent. Back in the 80s there was a difference between the two. A strong military and defending oneself is neither right nor left. Only invading foreign countries is a right only trait.

Hmmm... I may have to give Lord Azraels future posts a little more consideration and respect.

But I digress as this thread is starting too.
Discussions on politics and religion rarely end civily in online forums.
Can we not agee that talking about Six/Capricas "Hawtness" is a more
unifying topic? From the gallery :"rable rable rable"
Yea, the "Ayes" have it.
Change the topic please.

Spartan Rex said:
Discussions on politics and religion rarely end civily in online forums.
Can we not agee that talking about Six/Capricas "Hawtness" is a more
unifying topic? From the gallery :"rable rable rable"
Yea, the "Ayes" have it.
Change the topic please.

I agree! Let's not bash the show for having any sort of supposed agenda. Let's not turn this into a blame-Hollywood-first thread. There's something so much more juicy and important to talk about:

How does Tricia Helfer look so good year after year and what pose would you like a PF of Six to strike? I liked the glowing vertebrea idea.

But if she were to just stand there and do nothing, that would be just fine, too. Look at her. I mean, my god, just look at her... :monkey3

Which almost brings us around to the subject of Triad's upcoming bodies, possible head swaps, and the hope that Sideshow is developing an aesthetically pleasing new body for figures with exposed skin areas like Slave Leia...

I don't even watch BSG very often but I'd watch a Tricia Helfer figure...

Back