Brad Bird's - TOMORROWLAND

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved every minute of this movie.

I think the 50% RT score couldn't be more appropriate. Revolution by optimism is polarizing.

I agree with the snarkiness of the internet, but I just can't support the argument that the "internet" has chosen to gang up on Tomorrowland. It's not just domestically that it can't find its footing either.

Both Titanic and Avatar managed to survive -- to say the least -- their very negative pre-hype. Most good movies get noticed. Time will tell if this falls into that category.

Here's what Variety has to say about the film's weekend performance:

There weren’t as many fireworks at the Memorial Day weekend box office this year as newcomer “Tomorrowland” disappointed with a $32.2 million debut.

The science-fiction adventure stars George Clooney and was directed by Brad Bird of “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” renown. The Disney release is expected to pull in a lackluster $40.7 million for the four-day period.

“Tomorrowland” had been expected to generate $40 million over the three-day period and $50 million over the four-day stretch. With a $180 million price tag, Disney faces an uphill climb to profitability. Not helping matters, overseas figures were an underwhelming $26.7 million.

Last edited:
I agree with the snarkiness of the internet, but I just can't support the argument that the "internet" has chosen to gang up on Tomorrowland. It's not just domestically that it can't find its footing either.

Both Titanic and Avatar managed to survive -- to say the least -- their very negative pre-hype. Most good movies get noticed. Time will tell if this falls into that category.

Here's what Variety has to say about the film's weekend performance:

There weren’t as many fireworks at the Memorial Day weekend box office this year as newcomer “Tomorrowland” disappointed with a $32.2 million debut.

The science-fiction adventure stars George Clooney and was directed by Brad Bird of “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” renown. The Disney release is expected to pull in a lackluster $40.7 million for the four-day period.

“Tomorrowland” had been expected to generate $40 million over the three-day period and $50 million over the four-day stretch. With a $180 million price tag, Disney faces an uphill climb to profitability. Not helping matters, overseas figures were an underwhelming $26.7 million.

So for Disney does this mean that 2015s John Carter, Lone Ranger and Prince of Persia could be Tomorrowland? :(

I absolutely loved this movie. It was such a great experience. Everything was so well done and executed. I agree with Dave about Cassidy. She did a fantastic job.

I know most people follow RT like some divine decree but do yourself a favor and watch this movie. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Easily my favorite movie of the year and I doubt anything can surpass it.

Saw this last night..I really enjoyed it..nice seeing a plain PG picture that was great ..Clooney was in it more than I expected too...good Brad Bird film...it was different :)

Came back from my showing: liked it, didn't love it. Not sure where it lost me. In the 2nd half for sure. I was having a lot of fun with the unknown element of the story a lot, so when things are explained, I was a bit let down. Solid performances all around. Movie looked nice....

The characters are all passionate, most especially clooney's character, but he's just very introverted. If I had to put my finger on it, I was a bit put off by his 'stodgy angry old man' character for the first half . We've seen the old/angry character a lot - every time Ford does a movie, so I was a little like, 'uh, oh' when Clooney was on screen. Loved the two female leads - both brilliant. The high point for me was the action part at Clooney's house and the bit at the comic book/nerd shop - I was literally thinking, 'do not know what is happening, but I love it!'

Once we get and stay in Tomorrowland, I was just bummed how the writers had to explain it all - took the magic out of it for me a bit.

That said, it was well done. Enjoyed it in the same vein as John Carter from Mars - really loved that one....! That one is my fav of these two....

How much do you want to bet that writer/director plotted out another story about Walker as a child to 20s *when kicked out* to current......that was such an abrupt change in his character, from wide eye passionate youth to angry old fart that I seriously would think they had a 1.5 type sequel to tell....

Good movie- stupendous bomb for Disney (like it matters- they have AoU and SW)

The marketing was terrible for this, IMO - the trailers did NOTHING to make me even a little curious, just left me thinking "What is this supposed to even be?" and not in the way that made me want to find out anything about it.

Back