Brad Bird's - TOMORROWLAND

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be seeing this film. I saw the 10 minute clip before my AoU screening and that was enough for me to be interested in finding out what happens next.

The previews don't really give much of an idea of what Tomorrowland actually is.

I found that first teaser where she picks up the pin on the counter to be pretty riveting. Unfortunately all the following trailers and yes even the aforementioned 10 minute clip actually "unsold" the ticket for me. Just looks like Spy Kids now and I don't feel like I'm included in the target audience at all anymore. I'm sure I'll rent it at some point so my kids can see if they like it.

I felt this bit from the NYT worth mentioning:

False cheer can be just as insidious as easy despair. And the world hardly suffers from a shortage of empty encouragement, of sponsored inducements to emulate various dreamers and disrupters, of bland universal appeals to the power of individuality.

I also find the hypocrasy aggravating of a film demanding you believe in healing powers of creativity while using a dated Disney theme park attraction as its core.

Naysayer? Cynic? really?

Let's not forget, Garreth Edwards... I can't wait til they cut away from the 3rd Death Star explosion in favor of ambiguity.

Clooney: Listen, we're at sort of a cynical time in society. Don't ever read comments on anything! People can live anonymously, and I honestly think that when they were talking about freedom of speech in 1787, the theory was that you had to own your speech. It had to belong to you, and you actually had to take some responsibility for it. Now you can just sit alone and say horrible things, and it becomes fashionable to be ****** to people. Now people will come up to me, thinking they're keeping it real, and they say, "I hated you in that last movie!" And I'll look at them and go, "Well, I think those extra 20 pounds look good on you." It's become a much more cynical time, a time when people think its fun to only be negative.

Bird: Like there's an invisible laugh track that's digging on their snarky comment.

Clooney: And that's not gonna be how I function. I'm not gonna function in that world, where negativity is going to be the centerpiece. I'm going to look to the better angels and have a better life because of it

It's like George Clooney had been on this forum :lol

Above quote from this article:
George Clooney on Tomorrowland and His Haters -- Vulture

I LOVED this movie. It had so many gee whiz moments that I couldn't help smiling. Sure, it's a bit naive, but it looks at big ideas with the wonder of a child - and there's nothing wrong with that. Just yesterday I read that Brad Bird turned down The Force Awakens because he was afraid if he left Tomorrowland it wouldn't have gotten made, and after seeing the movie I can understand why he felt it was important that this film get made.

And Clooney and Robertson are great as the leads, but the third lead we didn't see in the trailers is Raffey Cassidy. If an 11-year-old Emma Thompson had been a decent actress right off the bat, she'd be this girl. I see great things for her in the future and if she isn't nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar, there is no justice. (but she won't because this is a big budget Disney summer movie for kids).

Dave why do you think this movie is getting poor reviews when heartwarming Disney flicks like Big Hero 6 get praise? I haven't seen Tomorrowland but defenders of the film are seemingly quick to dismiss all less than positive reactions as nothing more than cultural cynicism. Now I don't disagree with Clooney and Bird's comments, but I'm curious as to why you, since you've seen the flick, might think that Tomorrowland has become a target of cynicism when other films of its nature haven't.

Dave why do you think this movie is getting poor reviews when heartwarming Disney flicks like Big Hero 6 get praise? I haven't seen Tomorrowland but defenders of the film are seemingly quick to dismiss all less than positive reactions as nothing more than cultural cynicism. Now I don't disagree with Clooney and Bird's comments, but I'm curious as to why you, since you've seen the flick, might think that Tomorrowland has become a target of cynicism when other films of its nature haven't.

Big Hero 6 was basically a character piece. The characters are rich and fleshed out and the plot is secondary. Tomorrowland is more about big ideas and the characters serve the idea and may be rather flat and one note as compared to something like BH6. You DO care about the characters in Tomorrowland, but they aren't the primary focus of the film. I think the critics are reacting to agenda of the film and are feeling a bit cheated. I did a bit too, the film that is being marketed is completely different from the actual film. The marketing has you waiting in the film for the show to get going - the whole thing feels like prelude, once I accepted that this journey IS the movie I was more comfortable and able to go with it.

I would agree that this movie was not exactly what I was expecting. I took my 7 year old son to see it and he liked it. Once the credits rolled, he said to me, "That was a good movie." I asked him what he liked about it and he said he liked Athena and the technology seen in it. I agree with Dave with what he said. It was really about dreaming big and the journey to get there.

Back