Boromir in the House...Official IMAGE thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little thought for those of you planning to do paint work on Boromir, I was looking at him tonight along with Legolas and Aragorn and noticed one thing that was bugging me about him, the eyes on Legolas have shading that defines their shape, but Boromir seems to fade into the skin tone so unless you get him in the right lighting, the Sean Bean look gets a little lost, and I've given him a strong lookover and it's deffinately there, his eyes just need a lil help being defined under any lighting condition.

cool pics all round guys!!boromir's gaining alot of steam!!thanks for sharing..keep them coming!!^___^..can't wait to see him on hand next week!!

Wor-Gar said:
Your pictures are great, MF, but I was kind of waiting for some more, maybe some generic but great shots just to see your figure good and clear with a bit of a review. He used to post alot but now I think he focuses on customs more.

Ok WG, here goes, I'm going to spread this over several posts because I have many pictures to include and the forum does limit how many per post.

Headsculpt / Hair / Paint

bsd1.jpg

bsd2.jpg

bsd3.jpg

bsd4.jpg

bsd5.jpg

bsd6.jpg

The headsculpt is phenomenal, a really impressive job, Oluf is starting to grow on me as one of my favorite SSC sculptors after Qui-Gon, Maul and now Boromir. SSC posted a series of images superimposing the headsculpt at various angles over Sean Bean pictures at the same angles and they lined up great, and having him in hand, I really see his likeness in their and it’s done very well. However, every great sculpture can always get lost in being painted, and I think that is partially the case with Boromir. Legolas had eyes painted in a way such that their shape was evident in any lighting situation, however, Boromir’s weren’t painted in the same manner, so in some lighting I have available here at home, the eyes get lost with the skin tone, but as you can see in these photos, natural light works great for it. As for the skin paint, I love it, just as with Obi-Wan, it has a rough texture to it giving it a skin feel where Legolas seemed a bit smooth, and Boromir also features a nice mix of shades which add more dynamics to the paint and make a more interesting piece. As for Boromir’s hair, first off, the paint of it is great, a teriffic choice of color on the final piece and I’m very happy with that. As for the sculpting, my first comment, and one I imagine I will have for many of the LOTR 1/6 figures is that the hair of many characters was shoulder length, thin, and wavy, which doesn’t lend itself well to being replicated in a 1/6 scale. Sideshow seems to be opting to make rubber wigs for these characters (Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir) and for the most part, it’s been working, the ends of the hair are loose enough to allow head articulation while still being faithful to the film appearance. However, this wig style doesn’t work for on the forehead’s of these figures because so far, there isn’t a realistic connection to the scalp and it makes the hair look like it’s separately attaches, which is a shame because otherwise they’d work perfectly. The other problem with this wig style is that the hair has to have a little more thickness in some areas to survive production, but in the case of Aragonr and Boromir, both had thinner hair strands and translating that to this scale wasn’t possible, so this makes the look a little off too. As for the sculpting of Boromir’s hair, I’d say it’s about 90% well done, but there, my only issues with it are the area in the back where it seems some of his hair is blowing away when the rest hugs his head, and the right side of his hair where the strands flow over his ear, those strands are molded with the hair behind his ear and it looks a little odd from some views and I think it would have looked better if they were loose like his bands and the strands on the left side of his hair, and if I weren’t worried bout ruining the paint and all, I might even take a blade to his hair and split it but I don’t want to take the risk so I’ll live with it.

Clothing

bsd12.jpg

bsd13.jpg

bsd14.jpg

bsd15.jpg

bsd16.jpg

bsd23.jpg

Where do you begin with Boromir. I guess I’ll start from the core and work my way outward. First off, I was surprised and delighted to see a full undershirt, and blown away at how many components it is made of to create the final look. I’m not sure what the rubber material is for, but I think it helps to bulk his arms and looks good in instances where the chain mail is too low on his arm and reveals some of the rest of his shirt between the chains and the red shirt. I won’t say much about his pants, they’re a nice material and look fine, but with these figures, they’re more so there to keep them from being naked and exposed lol. Now onto the chain armor; one poster displayed images of Boromir with some rubber chain armor from another company, and while the look is better than the SSC version, I imagine rubber is limiting on posing and runs the risk of tearing, so in the end, I think clothe was better for putting some action into this figure, and for a cloth representation of chain armor, SSC did a great job, I love the chain like appearance to the threading, you can see it in one of my pictures I think, and the weaving in of shiny silver material adds a nice metallic quality to it. On to the red shirt. Jimmy Smits talked about his outfits in Star Wars Ep 3 once stating how the quality of the costumes allowed him to feel like the royalty he was to play, and I think the same concept applies to many of the LORT costumes, and Boromir’s certainly reflects a very royal quality. His red shirt is made from a nice, silky material that works great for the character, features beautiful applied gold patterning on the sleeves, and the black and gold work on his collar is just as beautifully done, and I see why some would opt not to display him without the Elven cloak because it is hidden once that’s on. Moving on from the red shirt we then add, well for lack of knowledge of what word to use, the vest. This seems to be made of the same material as the Terminator T-800 leather clothing, and it’s great because it has a leather look, but because it’s quite think for the figure scale, it allows a better flow and range of motion for the figure where a thicker material may be constricting. As with the red shirt, this vest also features a fair amount of detail. I am very impressed by how elaborate the silver trim on the vest is, and the clasps at on it are also nicely detailed and really capture the royalty and elegance of Gondor. Next up we have Boromir’s vembraces, which I think were done perfectly. Even though the straps are just glued and don’t work, they have the appearance that they could work, which is great because their construction makes them sturdy, but the design and execution makes them look like they should, and they’re a fairly flexible material so the pointy tips at the hands allow the wrist articulation to work as well as it does on other SSC figures, which is one thing about the Buck body that I love compared to other 1/6 figure bodies. As is shown in my photo, the vembraces are quite detailed and look leathery as well. The boots are another great SSC job, and in fact, Aragorn is the only SSC figure whose boots weren’t great and even his were great but for the feet looking a bit Ronald McDonald like. At quick glance, Boromir’s look like great sculpted boots, but a closer look will reveal some bluish paint applied to give it a bit of weathering, even Gondor royalty get their feet dirty. Lastly, some may call it an accessory, but I consider it an element of wardrobe, and that’s his belt. I’m not sure if we ever see it in the film, but there is a small knife sheath and knife in the back which feature the same paint quality we have come to expect from SSC and is done really nicely and hangs well from the belt. The belt itself is great like Aragorn’s, it’s soft enough so you can tie it off on him like a real belt and not just clasp it together or something like that, and it is very film accurate where the sword hangs off of the belt as well. Lastly is the Elven cloak, for those getting the Exclusive version. It’s the same as Legolas’, and even though there is no texture to the material, there is a graininess of green shades in it that gives it a visual texture that works great, the broach is off to the side again, but I personally feel that if it were in the middle where it should be for film accuracy, it would make it harder to clasp the cloak so I’m ok with how it is and the hood features the same wiring we get with SSC hoods and it helps to lay the hood down on these figures because there wasn’t a lot of hood up action, especially for Boromir.

Accessories

bsd17.jpg

bsd18.jpg

bsd19.jpg

bsd20.jpg

bsd21.jpg

bsd22.jpg

orc1.jpg

orc4.jpg

orc5.jpg

orc7.jpg

First off, I have to say, as a happy collector of this SSC line, I was initially somewhat let down with Boromir’s accessories in that, compared to Aragorn and Legolas, he had far less extras than we’ve gotten used to with this line, and while the character didn’t have anything else to include but for his furry cape, I think maybe we could have gotten some neutral hands just to add a littlee more, but that’s my stance on quantity. As for quality, that balances everything out, the quality isn’t lacking anywhere on any of his accessories and in many areas, the quality is simply amazing. First off is Boromir’s sword, which features a lot of detail work in the paint, there are many speckles of paint to suggest being worn in worn in from battle throughout the silver portions of the sword, and the handle features the same style of worn looking paint. Then there’s the shield, which also looks very used, which is the greatest trait of all of Boromir’s accessories, they look used and beaten and that gives a better sense of realism to them. The outside of the shield is painted and sculpted to have a leathery look and texture, something I personally feel SSC is good a replicating in some of their products, and the metal ears feature the wear and tear I’ve mentioned as well as great detailing. The leather strap to the shield is fairly simple, but put together nicely and the clasp looks great and accurate. The majority of the backside of the shield is wood, and the painting and texturing of it are fantastic, if the piece weren’t so small you could easily be tricked into believing it actually is wood. Even more so than the front side, the back side features an amazingly detailed paint job on the metal that really sells it as being a heavily used item that has seen its share of battle time, and it really shows that SSC put a lot of production work into Boromir and makes the delay very justifiable. Now for the Horn of Gondor, which is just breathtaking. There is a marble-like paint job in the white areas which gives the horn a feel that it came from a living animal and wasn’t manufactured, which is great. The gold and silver areas again reflect a worn out over time look, and are full of great detail, which hopefully my image captures well enough, and the rope really feels like a 1/6 scale rope and not just a piece of string, just a very impressive job making this piece. Lastly, for those who get the Exclusive, we have the Moria Orc head, and my first opinion is WOW. Someone else said it once before in the forums, and the more creatures I get from SSC, the more I agree, they have a great talent for creating sci-fi / fantasy creatures. This is an accessory to a figure, and yet the sculpt is as good as it would be if it were for an Orc figure, it’s just fantastic and very detailed. Then there’s the paint apps; I love SSC human paint apps, but what they do with creatures is even more phenomenal, the blending and the mixing of shades on this head are just amazing and come off like a Hollywood makeup effects type look, they just did a great job painting it, and again, I’m blown away at the quality put into this head as an accessory. My favorite aspect would probably be the mouth, it’s gross, slimy, repulsive and perfectly captures the look of the Orcs, and I love the teeth having a look like the ones of the Alien films, it really helps to make this thing look departed from it’s humanoid features. It’s not made the same as the 1/6 figures heads, I don’t believe, because it feels harder and heavier than the 1/6 heads, but that’s a nice feature. Another nice detail on this is the severed neck area, I don’t know if it was done as a necessity for the production process, but there is a whole running through the head which looks to be the throat or windpipe of the orc and really helps it feel like this was a living thing before being severed.

Overall Figure

bsd7.jpg

bsd8.jpg

bsd9.jpg

bsd10.jpg

bsd11.jpg

While there are aspects to this figure I don’t agree with how they were done, overall, it’s a beautiful piece, a great addition to the LOTR line, and a wonderful addition to a 1/6 scale figure collection. My issues with this figure were very minor compared to others before him, and I would rank him up there with Obi-Wan, Darth Maul, and Legolas as some of the most amazing figures to come from SSC, at least that I’ve owned. As it’s been said, this figure seems to bring the LOTR line full circle from Aragorn, who is a great figure but had some shortcomings that gave the line a rocky start, to Legolas who redeemed the line and gave us a strong hope for the future of the LORT line, and now Boromir solidifies it, we’ve had two great releases in a row in this line, and I think Boromir stands as proof that this line will go well and great figures will continue to come in it, and now, hopefully, the line will pick up and we will get figures more than we have so far, but at the same time, if this is the detail and quality time will give us, I will gladly wait because the detail work just makes these pieces so worth it when you finally get them in your hands.

Wor-Gar said:
Now that's what I've been waiting for!

A comprehensive and excellent review... with excellent pictures!

Thanks, MF!

Anytime, I was thinking of submitting it to Sideshow, but I don't know of an email address to mail it into, maybe someone here could help me. I might do more of these, it's just so hard, these figures are just so much fun sometimes I feel like I'm in a juggling act and get nothing done, I want to photograph them I want to photoshop them I want to make wallpapers, I want to just enjoy them and watch the movies they're from; so much to enjoy, not enough time, too bad I can't make money doing stuff, then I could use the time lost at my job to enjoy these :)

Very nice MF!! Great read. If you're wanting to send it to SS you need to PM Dusty to see who you should contact.

Here's how I have my Boromir posed. I tried to get all his accoutrements so that I don't have to worry about missing out on anything. Originally I wanted to try to get him to blow his horn, but for some reason I couldn't get his arm to get anywhere near his mouth.

Radagaster said:
Here's how I have my Boromir posed. I tried to get all his accoutrements so that I don't have to worry about missing out on anything. Originally I wanted to try to get him to blow his horn, but for some reason I couldn't get his arm to get anywhere near his mouth.

Look a few pages back, I have a picture of him blowing the horn, it was hard getting to keep it right to his mouth for long, but you can get within like 1/8 of inch, close enough.

those are really impressive pics maul fan!!alot of effort put into them..thanks for sharing!!he looks really good in those closeup shots..=p

edwint said:
those are really impressive pics maul fan!!alot of effort put into them..thanks for sharing!!he looks really good in those closeup shots..=p

Thanks, he is an impressive figure, like I said, Oluf is really growing on me as I get more of his sculpts in hand, I still rank Andy Bergholtz as my favorite so far, but I'd rank Oluf at #2, they both really have a strong skill for capturing likenesses.

MaulFan said:
I wanted to see how it would look, so here is the fall of Boromir.

deadboromir.jpg

Nice work there MaulFan! on the review and photos... Did you use a zoom lens for the photos?

If you have PF lurtz, will you try to make a diaorama of Lurtz moving menancingly towards Boromir together with him on the ground as you post it..I wonder if the scale will be right... but with the right distance perspective, I think it can be done!

:rolleyes:

gtb said:
Nice work there MaulFan! on the review and photos... Did you use a zoom lens for the photos?

If you have PF lurtz, will you try to make a diaorama of Lurtz moving menancingly towards Boromir together with him on the ground as you post it..I wonder if the scale will be right... but with the right distance perspective, I think it can be done!

:rolleyes:

I don't own any PFs in any line, they're quite expensive and large and at the moment I live at home and have a tight budget, I recently had to cancel my PF Boba Fett order because he's quite expensive and it was either cancel him or several smaller items I have on order and I had to go with more items for less than one item for more. As for my shots, I have a fixed lens camera, but it has a super macro mode that I use for the real close shots, for a non-SLR camera I think it's probably the best you could get.

Nice pictures. I am amazed at this figure, but admittingly less enthused about his tootsie roll hair. The costume is simply first rate. Better than any star wars figure. Judging from the toy fair pics, Faramir will fair even better and probably outrank even boromir, but right now, he is the best done overall figure. Legolas still leads in the head sculpt dept IMHO. Can't wait to hear what is coming next!

Back