Boba fett premium format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MY BOBA FETT JUST SHIPPED!!!!!!!!!

Got my Fett the other day finally (for some moronic reason I had done Flexpay- still have no idea why....lol)

Tom... I got #819. I was praying for #42... but alas... no dice.

Agent0028 said:
I could have sworn that someone from Sideshow posted that it was the armour and body differences that caused the problem. But maybe when we read about the different shrinkage rate most of us assumed it was between the armour and the body. :confused:
It was both. The original problem was that casting the armor out of polystone would make it too thin, resulting in massive breakage problems. So, they changed the armor to ABS.

But then a decision had to be made regarding the body, since a polystone body would shrink at a different rate than ABS, making the body and armor out of scale with each other. This left them with the choice of attempting to sculpt a body out of polystone that would match the "shrunk" size of the abs armor, or just casting the body in ABS as well, making shrinkage conversion calculations (and risks) unnecessary.

At least, that is what I got from the blog and the subsequent posts from the Sideshow folks.

RoboDad said:
It was both. The original problem was that casting the armor out of polystone would make it too thin, resulting in massive breakage problems. So, they changed the armor to ABS.

But then a decision had to be made regarding the body, since a polystone body would shrink at a different rate than ABS, making the body and armor out of scale with each other. This left them with the choice of attempting to sculpt a body out of polystone that would match the "shrunk" size of the abs armor, or just casting the body in ABS as well, making shrinkage conversion calculations (and risks) unnecessary.

At least, that is what I got from the blog and the subsequent posts from the Sideshow folks.

That is correct, or at least as I have understood it from early on - the Fett issue being what it is, I would have to check first few episodes to be sure.

I am still perplexed however, as to why this is an issue for Fett and wasn't for Vader. And no I am not trying to be argumentative, but I do wonder why Vader's shinguards and chestplate would work with a polystone body, but not Fett's chest and shoulder armor. Beyond that, it does also boggle my mind at least why his hands and feet couldn't have been polystone, or at the very minimum his gun. After having seen the "Fett Undressed" pics, we know that the ABS body wasn't sculpted at all, it is very minimal and has almost straight arms and legs - are we to assume that a similar body structure with polystone wouldn't have worked (i.e. no muscle tone, or definition)? We never were given any sort of answer as to why the base was made of or at least coated in a soft rubber, I at the very least would like to know that.

In the midst of all these debates, etc, there are real answers left to be found; sadly, people are so sick of the discussion, chastising in tone or downright argumentative, that we are likely never to really come to terms with things.

Oh well, soon we can debate Maul.

I've wondered about why it worked for Vader and not Fett myself. I can't remember if I came up with a reason on my own or if someone else gave me a theory that makes sense. The only thing I can guess is maybe the difference is in the leather bodysuit Vader wears so that made up for the difference and/or maybe Vader's armour doesn't hug his body as closely as Fett's.

I agree that there are questions left unanswered that are unlikely to be answered. Personally I want the answers just because I have an insatiable curiosity. However I don't blame sideshow for not stating reasons for this or that since it seems some people just take whatever they say and call it a lie or insist that its not a good reason or any other number of things.

I looked at my Vader and Boba Fett. What sticks out is most the armor peices on Vader are fairly thick and firmly attached not a lot of play. Now Boba's armos is very thin and not attached as firmly a lot more play. The only two thin spots on vader are on the helmet and on the shin guards. And both of those peices almost seem like (dare I say it) plastic. They dont seem to have the same feel or even the same tone if you tap on them as the rest of the poly parts.

mfoga said:
The only two thin spots on vader are on the helmet and on the shin guards. And both of those peices almost seem like (dare I say it) plastic. They dont seem to have the same feel or even the same tone if you tap on them as the rest of the poly parts.

No, they are most certainly plastic; but in the case of the shin guards they are attached to polystone legs.

For what it's worth, I think Sideshow should be more forthcoming with this particular statue, it has obviously received a LARGE amount of bad buzz; and whether it is justifiable or not, they might want to consider doing some real PR work here. Just this week they started sending out $25 discounts to those who cancelled, I don't think I have ever heard of such a thing. If collectors knew more than just what the production blog stated (remember not everyone reads these boards -- aghast, they should, but they don't), perhaps there would be more of a warm reception. Even beyond that, we were never given reasons for the base materials, jet pack or helmet - none of which in my mind necessitate ABS or rubber construction.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

LOTRFan said:
No, they are most certainly plastic; but in the case of the shin guards they are attached to polystone legs.

For what it's worth, I think Sideshow should be more forthcoming with this particular statue, it has obviously received a LARGE amount of bad buzz; and whether it is justifiable or not, they might want to consider doing some real PR work here. Just this week they started sending out $25 discounts to those who cancelled, I don't think I have ever heard of such a thing. If collectors knew more than just what the production blog stated (remember not everyone reads these boards -- aghast, they should, but they don't), perhaps there would be more of a warm reception. Even beyond that, we were never given reasons for the base materials, jet pack or helmet - none of which in my mind necessitate ABS or rubber construction.

Wait Vader is platics too? OMG guess I need to get rid of him too. :lol

I can say that I am still happy with Boba, but I don't like the fact that they are giving those who canceled a discount if they want. I know I could have waited and most likely got it cheaper on ebay but giving a almost instant discount to those who canceled actually is a bigger deal to me then the fact that they changed it to plastic.

dilbert_fist_of_plastic.jpg

;)

LOTRFan said:

Other than them saying what they said here about the molding process there isn't much left to say on their site is there? I don't really know what impact it would have honestly. People have made up their minds and I don't see much room left for change. The base materials for the rest of it have to be ABS as well to shrink at the same rate as the rest of the piece. If they where polystone then might not and they could end up looking HUGE on this piece. This way everything shrinks at the same rate.

Also something else to think about. SS may only be allowed to say so much because of contractual obligations.

i canceled my boba a month or so ago and recieved the "discount" offer email last week, to which i haven't responded. today i got an email thanking me for ordering it via flex-pay(discount included)....ummmmmm, did anyone else get this email in error?

Well, well, well. Just got him unpacked and I am so relieved. I love him. I'm not a fan of how light and by our stupid nature of heavy is expensive, cheap he feels. But he looks fantastic. You could never tell that the armor is plastic just by looking at it. The helmet on the other hand looks rather plasticish, but it's not terrible. No issues with any base or antenna limpage. After unpacking him and looking at him for a few minutes, I can honestly say I am more than happy to have this piece in my collection. I'm by no means letting SS off the hook for how they handled the situation, and they better never do it again. But I have a PF that I love and will proudly display for a very long time.

Whoa, people who canceled are getting a $25 discount? I'm not generally one for throwing around the fair word, but that seems unfair to me. I think its commendable and applaudable that sideshow is accomodating people by lowering the price. That's over and above good customer service to me. But I think everyone should get it.

Agent0028 said:
Whoa, people who canceled are getting a $25 discount? I'm not generally one for throwing around the fair word, but that seems unfair to me. I think its commendable and applaudable that sideshow is accomodating people by lowering the price. That's over and above good customer service to me. But I think everyone should get it.
I just posted this over at StatueForum and thought I would share it here as well:
I just go off the phone with Sideshow and here's the answer I got: Because alot of the orders where cancelled in error and people who were expecting it to arrive didn't know it wasn't coming because of it. So everyone on the 'order cancelled' list was contacted to re-submit there order as 2nd chance and receive a $25 dollor discount for their troubles.
I don't know guys....what do you think. I would hope that this is an honest answer. It also sounds like a PR damage control created reply. I'm happy with my Fett so I'll leave it at that. I just like things to be kept honest and fair....something that every company or business (no matter how hard they try) never can keep a spotless record of said honesty. BTW Did anyones email regarding this offer state that there was an error made and your order might have been cancelled by mistake???? Let us know.

I honestly think they had a VERY large amount of cancellations. I'm very happy that I didn't pay $325 for this because I don't know if I feel it's worth that. With everything that I know about this piece and now having it to look at, I'd say it seems like a $250-275 item. I'm more than happy with it and I need to get off this damn computer so I can go look at it some more :monkey3

I agree it sounds like damage control, but without any sort of evidence that the reason giving is not true I'll trust Sideshow's word. To me, it seems that it would be better to wait for people to contact and say, "Hey my order was canceled and shouldn't have been." And then give the discount if the person is really irate. I did have an item canceled that shouldn't have been wasn't offered any discount, and I missed out on an exclusive from it.

One thing that does make me think Sideshow isn't BSing us is DarkArtists mistaken cancellation. At any rate its not a big deal to me, I was willing to pay 325 for it and I don't regret it so I'm not going to fuss over it.

gambit said:
I agree with DL

And that's why you're the smartest Turkish I know :D

I would highly recomend getting this while the market is low. I have a feeling once this gets into people's hands and they see how nice it is, it will start drying up. Of course this will probably take about 15-18 months. But if you are on the fence and you can get a regular for around $250, go for it!

Back