Boba fett premium format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MY BOBA FETT JUST SHIPPED!!!!!!!!!

Hey Tom....glad your replacement showed up...

Any chance of another couple of good pics of this guy? That'll probably push me onto the waitlist.

....and your pics are always good.

Last edited:

i could be wrong but they've already closed that avenue off for themselves by saying they did it specifically for Boba. although they may try it with the armored PF's. i pray they don't.

tomandshell said:
No, they actually replaced it with the same number. I couldn't remember which one I had at first but I went back and checked and they took a blank one and wrote in the same number again.

Or they gave you the same base.

kodiak8658 said:
As long as proponents like Monk and myself 'sound off', we will always make sure SS hears what consumers feel and think of experiments like this.

I do prefer the non-movable aspects of the other PF. What they did with Fett is cool in the aspect of they tried something different. I don't have a problem with that honestly.

I will say you missed a word in this quoted part. That word would be "SOME" because not everyone feels this way.

kodiak8658 said:
Boba Plastic may be a prelude to an entire way of thinking for SS...ABS considered PF, poseability which has never been a feature associated with SS PF statues (head swivel?), yet a bloated PF pricetag. I don't feel it was beyond the realm for SS to throw in a leather belt, hairlike Wookie braids, metal in Boba's jet pack and other 'upgrades' that would have offset the lame ABS body.
Regarding the poseability issue, you are mistaken. Many of the early Premium Format figures came with poseable arms (I own several myself that have this feature). Even some more recent PFs offer this or some other form of poseability, such as Elektra, which has wire sewn into her "leather" costume, so that it can be posed the way the owner wants it.

Before you start making assumptions and claims about what is or is not a "new trend," you should double-check your facts.

Speaking of "limited history" - PFs were originally extremely posable. The first, Vampyre, had a wire frame under foam and you could pose him in a high kick if you wanted to. However I do believe that this kind of item, such as Luke/Yoda or Lurtz works best as a "moment in time" just as a statue. But the head articulation on Fett doesn't really take away from this feeling.

Darklord Dave said:
But the head articulation on Fett doesn't really take away from this feeling.

No, it doesn't, that's true. Once the head is situated, in fact, it's impossible for the casual observer to tell that the head is poseable, and that it is not static. I can see the appeal of the idea. The head swivel enables people to pose Fett in whatever moment from the film they choose to encapsulate with their individual pieces. A brilliant notion.

But the head articulation is what forced the switch from polystone to ABS, which is really, ultimately, what the bulk of the gripes are about. The moment they realized that it wasn't going to work due to shrinkage issues, I'm very surprised (and, obviously, disgruntled) that they didn't scrap that particular prototype and start over with an all-poly body and static head.

Wow. I'm tired....

EDIT: I have learned in subsequent posts that the swivelling head was possible only because of the switch in materials. So, oops ... I was wrong. Sorry. I only post this now in case anyone reads this and is misled by it. My bad. Read on for details

Last edited:

kodiak8658 said:
Or they gave you the same base.

No, it's a new base. One of the reasons I returned it was problems with the original base. There was a black scratch across the top and a strange spot on the side that looked like they patched up a chunk and did a bad job of painting over it. It's definitely a new base.

And the antenna is tight as can be. And the tubes were practically kink free. I'm very happy with my replacement!!

I will try to get a few more pictures when I have some time in my office. Things have been really busy lately...

RoboDad said:
Regarding the poseability issue, you are mistaken. Many of the early Premium Format figures came with poseable arms (I own several myself that have this feature). Even some more recent PFs offer this or some other form of poseability, such as Elektra, which has wire sewn into her "leather" costume, so that it can be posed the way the owner wants it.

Before you start making assumptions and claims about what is or is not a "new trend," you should double-check your facts.

Thanks for the support. With fact checkers like you doing my work for me, I figure I can spout out any assumptions I can think of and if they are incorrect, one of you guys will follow up immediately with the accurate information. This includes but is not limited to words that are misspelled, sentences that are gramatically incorrect and the new accepted Western civilization collector's philosophy. Without volunteers such as yourself, the forum, internet...or really, the WORLD would not exist. Thanks for volunteering your time working for the organization.

I personally own several PFs, but none pose. Maybe I should have said 'most'.

Darklord Dave said:
Speaking of "limited history" - PFs were originally extremely posable. The first, Vampyre, had a wire frame under foam and you could pose him in a high kick if you wanted to. However I do believe that this kind of item, such as Luke/Yoda or Lurtz works best as a "moment in time" just as a statue. But the head articulation on Fett doesn't really take away from this feeling.

What are your thoughts on why they discontinued making poseable statues, and why it seems they have begun to use this feature again? With plastic, it may work. But with polystone, it may pose a problem with cracks and breaks.

jlcmsu said:
I do prefer the non-movable aspects of the other PF. What they did with Fett is cool in the aspect of they tried something different. I don't have a problem with that honestly.

I will say you missed a word in this quoted part. That word would be "SOME" because not everyone feels this way.

Thanks Josh....'Some'.

kodiak8658 said:
Thanks for the support. With fact checkers like you doing my work for me, I figure I can spout out any assumptions I can think of and if they are incorrect, one of you guys will follow up immediately with the accurate information. This includes but is not limited to words that are misspelled, sentences that are gramatically incorrect and the new accepted Western civilization collector's philosophy. Without volunteers such as yourself, the forum, internet...or really, the WORLD would not exist. Thanks for volunteering your time working for the organization.

I personally own several PFs, but none pose. Maybe I should have said 'most'.

Kodiak...It's hard to tell when your being serious or sarcastic sometimes but I will say Robodad is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board when it comes to Sideshow's history and products.

Monk said:
But the head articulation is what forced the switch from polystone to ABS, which is really, ultimately, what the bulk of the gripes are about. The moment they realized that it wasn't going to work due to shrinkage issues, I'm very surprised (and, obviously, disgruntled) that they didn't scrap that particular prototype and start over with an all-poly body and static head.
I'm not following your thinking. Sideshow said the use of the ABS body was due to the different rates of shrinkage between the polystone body and plastic armour. Where are you getting that the swivel head has to do with the switch to an ABS body?

Agent0028 said:
I'm not following your thinking. Sideshow said the use of the ABS body was due to the different rates of shrinkage between the polystone body and plastic armour. Where are you getting that the swivel head has to do with the switch to an ABS body?

That's what I was wondering too. I don't remember the swivel head being involved in the decision at all.

Can you direct us to the source of that claim?

:confused: Well, that's interesting. I'm sure I had read that the body was changed to ABS due to the difference in shrinkage between the polystone body and the ABS ball and socket joint. 'Cause there's no way that a polystone ball-and-socket would have worked, and trying to place the two different materials together was impossible due to the differing rate of shrinkage.

The plastic armor over a polystone body was already a proven success, however, notably in the case of the Vader PF. I don't see how it could mysteriously become an issue for this piece in particular when it's been used successfully in the past.

No, I'm 99% certain that the issue with differing materials lies with the ball-and-socket joint and not with the armor. If I'm wrong, I'll be very surprised.

Here's the production blog that I read...

Sideshow Collectibles said:
Another challenge of production is proportion and shrinkage, because different materials shrink at different rates. If you start with two masters, and make molds for different materials (silicone molds for polystone, steel tools for ABS, copper molds for roto vinyl), you will find that the size of the final product will vary dramatically, and somewhat inconsistently. With Boba Fett, as with every project, we felt the proportions of the final product were of critical importance, and the best way to maintain consistent proportion amongst the various components would be to produce them all in the same material. The helmet, armor, body, and all other ‘hard’ parts are all cast in the same material, and we believe the end result is a durable, crisp, accurate and very solid 1:4 scale Boba Fett (and not quite so heavy – it may save you a little on shipping!). We can’t wait to see your photos and reviews!

So, it's a little ambiguous. Based on what we read here, I could be right, or I could be wrong. But I still think that my argument above makes more sense.

It's also possible that the use of ABS plastic actually gave them the opportunity to go with the swivelling head, so they took it. (Again, I can't see a swivelling head working with polystone. The material itself just doesn't seem conducive to something of that nature.)

Gotta go to photograph a car show. Yippee. :rolleyes: Still, it beats all hell out of working for a living.

Monk said:
It's also possible that the use of ABS plastic actually gave them the opportunity to go with the swivelling head, so they took it. (Again, I can't see a swivelling head working with polystone. The material itself just doesn't seem conducive to something of that nature.

I think the issue was the shrinkage rates for the body and the armor pieces were coming out differently, which threw everything out of scale. Thus, they switched to ABS. Also, I think the ball-and-socket was added because it was suddenly a possibility with the ABS.

Wasn't it supposed to have the ball jointed head from the begining(great here it comes see it was going to be plastic the whole time things agian).

I belive someone from sideshow has already said that it was the armor that made them switch and then to keep everything in scale they moved everything to ABS.

*YAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNN* *scratches butt*

This is still going on? for God's sake give it up already fellas! :D

I could have sworn that someone from Sideshow posted that it was the armour and body differences that caused the problem. But maybe when we read about the different shrinkage rate most of us assumed it was between the armour and the body. :confused:

Back