Blade Runner Figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batty said:
I'm in the "no voice-over" camp. I just prefer that way.

When the box set comes out next year it will have four different versions of the movie. Including the U.S. theatrical version.

SWEET! Something for everyone! I have no beef against the Director's no-VO cut, it's just not my cup of tea. If there's 4 versions, I can only guess that it's the orginal release, the unrated original release (the European release?), the Director's Cut, and a new Director's Cut? Does anyone know what's different with the forth version?

abake said:
WARNING! SPOILERS!

Ridley's Scott original cut was the director's cut, but the studio thought it was too depressing and obscure, thus they put in the "happy ending" and the voice over to help explain Deckard's motivations and the storyline in general.

One thing seems to be pretty clear: Deckard was a replicant. The unicorn sequences were a clue, apparently it was an implanted memory. Edward James Olmos' character knew about this, that is why he always made the little origamis (one of which was a unicorn).

Hmmm, if he was a replicant why did he get his but kicked the whole flick. Even the standard pleasure model had her way with him. :confused:

Still, that is an interesting twist, first I heard of it

Next year it will be re-released, apparrently the version that was shown at the Denver and Dallas test screenings with the dictionary definition of Replicant at the beginning, scenes restored where Dekard visits Holden in a hospital stasis chamber and footage of the glass dancers restored in the Taffy Lewis club scene.

Personally, I like Ford's VO. Gives it more of a future noir-ish Sam Spade quality.

Big Duke 6 said:
Hmmm, if he was a replicant why did he get his but kicked the whole flick. Even the standard pleasure model had her way with him. :confused:

Rachel and Dekard are "special" as Tyrell had hinted. They are both more "human."

decadentdave said:
Personally, I like Ford's VO. Gives it more of a future noir-ish Sam Spade quality.

Me too - I watched the directors cut last week and in my head I heard the voiceover even though it wasn't actually playing it. I agree with the noir comment - it makes the mood for me.

As for why all the replicants beat the crap out of Deckard - I'd guess he's an earlier model given he's been around for a while. All of the ones featured were "combat models" so its not unreasonable that they would be innately tougher - Decker's only edge is his experience.

I haven't seen the film with vioce over. Perhaps that's why I feel like I'm missing something. I definately got the implication that D was a replicant. It almost seems like it was more than an implication. From what I have heard about the other version it is not made as apparant.

That's correct. The theatrical version had the "happy ending" with stock footage from The Shining as Dekard takes Rachel north. There is nothing implying Dekard is a Rep, just that there is hope for a new life with Rachel and Gaff's line "It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?"

My theory is that Gaff always knew Dekard and Rachel were "special" and he helped bring them together. He's the one who brings Dekard to Bryant out of retirement (no pun intended) for the assignment to VK Rachel at Tyrell Corp.

decadentdave said:
Next year it will be re-released, apparently the version that was shown at the Denver and Dallas test screenings with the dictionary definition of Replicant at the beginning, scenes restored where Dekard visits Holden in a hospital stasis chamber and footage of the glass dancers restored in the Taffy Lewis club scene.

I bought from eBay a while back a documentary called “The Edge of Blade Runner Introspective Featurette” on DVD, which showed those deleted scenes. In the same auction, I also got on DVD the original theatrical version with the voice over that was transferred from laser disc; I really missed this version and yes, because of the noir-ish qualities and it's this version that I went to see in the theatres around 8 times in 1982.

Big Duke 6 said:

Along with the book by Paul Salmon, “Future Noir, the Making of Blade Runner,” the featurette I mentioned has Scott stating that Deckard was a replicant. Frankly, having been exposed to the theatrical release version, I would not have made that connection myself if I hadn’t read/seen the whole explanation of this Deckard is a replicant business.

Now back to 1/6th matters. I have the Batty/Anrdroid 01 and Android Hunter v. 1, wishing that I had v. 2 or 3 had I known that they would be eventually made. I'm kind of interested in bashing a Gaff figure to pilot a ... :D

...though I have comfortable rides for my Connery Bond and literary Bond, don't want to count my chickens just yet for my Deckard, so that's all I'll say for now :rolleyes:

Yes, I have Edge of Blade Runner and to be honest, I'm glad the scene with Holden was cut. It was cheesy. Holden's dialogue was really bad. I think most fans will agree once they see it but it's still a nugget of lost footage for them to get excited over.

You guys are making me wanting to go out and get Blade Runner, or should I wait for the box set?

I think in the movie it hints that Deckard is an Android, in the book I think he's a human although both are subjective.

sladesuperagent said:
I'm not sure how a sequel to a book by a different author would be...but you've peaked my interest. I imagine that they are based on the screenplay more than Dick's novel, right?

I read the first two but did not realize that a 3rd "sequel" was done! Anyway, yes, these continuation novels are based on the screenplay and not the original "Android" novel. Supposedly, KW Jeter, the author knew Dick personally and professionally, which the publishers thought were fitting qualifications.

I didn't realize they had done a 3rd book either. I've read the first two, and I wouldn't bother to ever read them again.

abake said:
WARNING! SPOILERS!

One thing seems to be pretty clear: Deckard was a replicant. The unicorn sequences were a clue, apparently it was an implanted memory. Edward James Olmos' character knew about this, that is why he always made the little origamis (one of which was a unicorn).

Yes, It' true that this absurd idea circulates. If you choose to belive that Deckard was a replicant, your business. To me, the movie only makes sense with Deckard being human. I don't like the director's cut. I'm a voice over lover all the way.

Good that the anniversary release will have 4 versions. Everybody happy.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Yes, It' true that this absurd idea circulates. If you choose to belive that Deckard was a replicant, your business. To me, the movie only makes sense with Deckard being human.
I totally agree. It's too bad Scott is behind the idea of him being a replicant.

Back