Blade Runner Figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I also hope that Sideshow will leave the statues!

Some sympathetic images :lol :

gary_w_tyrell_simpson.jpg

gary_w_gaff_simpson.jpg

The continuation here: https://media.bladezone.com/contents/galleries/modeler/figures/modeler_figures.php

I'd love to see figures of Deckard and Batty...but I don't actually like the movie. It's just that the figures would bering back the 80's for me. But the movie itself is like watching paint dry, for me (although virtually everyone I know thinks its the best movie ever). Personally, I went away disappointed that there wasn't a spinner chase.

I was going to post about the movie earlier but didn't want to derail the thread but since someone else has...I'm not sure I get it. I consider myself as above the average intelligence level as I thinkit's obvious most of the people on this board are. I just feel like I'm missing something or am not asking myself the right questions. The film is beautiful and the soundtrack is outstanding. I own the DC and have watched it twice although I have never had the chance to watch it in one sitting.

Rocktonix said:
I was going to post about the movie earlier but didn't want to derail the thread but since someone else has...I'm not sure I get it. I consider myself as above the average intelligence level as I thinkit's obvious most of the people on this board are. I just feel like I'm missing something or am not asking myself the right questions. The film is beautiful and the soundtrack is outstanding. I own the DC and have watched it twice although I have never had the chance to watch it in one sitting.

Read the book by Phillip K. Dick (he a handful of novels concerning A.I. that are all excellent). Though not very similar to the film, it goes deeper into the story more than the film b/c a movie has time constraints. I never really could picture Harrison Ford for Deckard when I read it, though Sean Connery seemed like a perfect fit for "Rising Sun." :lol

The h2 head for Batty is pretty good, especially if you can find the first one -- the second one has the rained-on hair.

There are so many Harrison Ford headsculpts out there now, you can pretty much pick your favorite. Any of the existing Asian bootlegs (that's what they are) will give you the Deckard outfit with the unique overcoat.

These two are definitely do-able as customs.

Was there actually a Blade Runner Novel? I thought it was based on themes from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Rocktonix said:
Was there actually a Blade Runner Novel? I thought it was based on themes from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Correct. They're one in the same. The plot, themes, and characters are the same, but the entire story is more involved in the book. I've probably read a dozen or so of Dick's novels and they're all very entertaining. I would love for someone to attempt "Ubik" as a film--that book will f**k up your head!

Rocktonix said:
Yep, that's right. Go read it, it's worth the wile (of course!).
BLADE RUNNER BEST MOVIE EVER.
Love the novel, Phillip K. Dick rocks. Haven't read one single Phillip K. Dick story that was no good.

EDIT: Sideshow MAKE US SOME 12-INCH BLADE RUNNER FIGURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Rocktonix said:

Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but "Blade Runner" refers to the movie and the elements that make it distinct from Dick's novel, and there was never a novel/novelization of "Blade Runner." For example, Deckard is married in Dick's novel, whereas in BR he is not, and the settings are different (SF vs. LA), but most importantly, the fundamental theme and plotline of A.I.'s existence and Deckard's job, differ dramatically. There were two follow up novels written by K.W. Jeter, "The Edge of Human" and "Replicant Night," which are sequels to the movie's storyline. These were interesting, if you're into sci-fi books I suppose, with several characters from the movie being featured such as Holden, "Batty" and Sebastian. There's also an interesting twist in the Deckard/Rachel relationship and a look into the off-world colonies.

Rocktonix said:

What did you not understand?
So maybe we can chime in...

Yeah, there's only one book "Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep." In the 80's they released it with the film poster on the cover and might have changed its name for awhile. It's a great read but about as close to the movie as the current Battlestar Galactica is to the 70's version. It's very, very, very different. If you're looking for a closer read, try to track down the screenplay. I downloaded it for free off the net in the 90s.

Rocktonix said:

You're probably missing the voice over. I'm not a fan of the "director's cut" at all -- I find it lacking in the fun factor. Unfortanately the theatrical release complete with Harrison Ford's grity narative voice over has never been released on DVD. It might be worth tracking down the VHS either from eBay or a rental store and checking out either the original theatrical version or the extended original theatrical version (more violence and nudity) -- just not the director's cut. It has different pacing and a film noir like voice over where Deckard explains the world to us.

sladesuperagent said:
Does anyone remember the "Bladerunner" PC game? It was pretty true to the film--right down to the cut-a-way shots and the audio.

Loved that game! It was like 1997 graphics but otherwise they got everything right. I think it had different endings. I would truly love a sequel to that game.

Last edited:
gdb said:
You're probably missing the voice over. I'm not a fan of the "director's cut" at all -- I find it lacking in the fun factor. Unfortanately the theatrical release complete with Harrison Ford's grity narative voice over has never been released on DVD. It might be worth tracking down the VHS either from eBay or a rental store and checking out either the original theatrical version or the extended original theatrical version (more violence and nudity) -- just not the director's cut. It has different pacing and a film noir like voice over where Deckard explains the world to us.
I'm in the "no voice-over" camp. I just prefer that way.

When the box set comes out next year it will have four different versions of the movie. Including the U.S. theatrical version.

Several years ago I was able to pick up a 1/6th scaled Deckard outfit. It's fantastic. I also picked up one of the custom-made Deckard and Batty headsculpts (original ones, not the new ones found on Frontline.) This thread may be the inspiration I needed to get that custom fig done! :cool:

I loved the film. I also preferred the voice-over version as well. I think that the aim of the director's cut in having the voice-over removed was to move the audience in a different direction, in regard to Deckard...

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW:

I may be mistaken, but one of the ideas involved in the director's cut was to throw in the possibility of Deckard being a replicant himself.

WARNING! SPOILERS!

Ridley's Scott original cut was the director's cut, but the studio thought it was too depressing and obscure, thus they put in the "happy ending" and the voice over to help explain Deckard's motivations and the storyline in general.

One thing seems to be pretty clear: Deckard was a replicant. The unicorn sequences were a clue, apparently it was an implanted memory. Edward James Olmos' character knew about this, that is why he always made the little origamis (one of which was a unicorn).

EVILFACE said:
I believe Blade Runner and Total Recall take place in the same "universe".

Probably. They both came out of Phillip K. Dick's head, which was a pretty trippy place to be. I mean, the guy ate dog food when times were tough, dropped acid, talked his cats like they were dead best friends, and was married FIVE TIMES! Crazy mamma jamma!!! Try reading his exegesis--it's like reading stereo instructions.

If you're really into his writing and life, I suggest "The Shifting Realities of Phillip K. Dick". A collection of letters and a odds and ends--overall a really great insight to his world. Don't bother with the documentary though. Trite dribble.

Back