Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Denis Villeneuve to direct new Blade Runner film

That's like saying that TRON was ahead of its time. :lol

giphy.gif

Blade Runner and Tron are the exact same thing yeah :lol

Yes, recognizing the writing on the wall and putting it in a science fiction film isn't really something being ahead of its time, IMO. When I think of a film being "ahead of its time" it's just usually movies that basically pioneered some new technique that no one else was doing, but that doesn't generate immediate copycats but rather features things that aren't adopted until much later.

Now here we all are with 16:9 computer and TV screens all over the world and ALIENS matches right up

That last line sums up your point of view very well, I get it. (Btw I never even think about the tech, I don't really care about that, the other aspects of the movie are far more important to me, I guess thats why I love Metropolis so much when others hate it)

It almost feels like future-noir and cyberpunk are concepts unknown/unappreciated by most people here. Blade Runner influenced countless books, movies and video games and that matters to me, if it wasn't for this movie half the things I like wouldn't exist.

Anyway, talking in general, when it comes to originality people have different opinions, I could go to the extreme and say the Greeks already did everything when it comes to storytelling. But well... I blindly love this movie, what can I say :lol

Last edited:

If they go back to the original source Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep then there's plenty of material. I have a feeling though the film will be like the remake of Robocop cut out all the social satirical commentary and lose its film noir style for a more fast paced action film.

If they go back to the original source Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep then there's plenty of material. I have a feeling though the film will be like the remake of Robocop cut out all the social satirical commentary and lose its film noir style for a more fast paced action film.

Check Villeneuve work, he s a serious auteur Director not a chance that he accepted Blade Runner 2 if it was an action packed mindless flick.

Star Wars, Alien(s), Terminator, Blade Runner - Hollywood seems to be mercilessly determined to ruin everything I love these days.

The time to revisit these things has been and gone. What about that is so hard to understand?

Roger Deakins is Cinematographer

Hollywood Reporter - [URL="https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-sicario-director-denis-villeneuve-796519"]Denis Villeneuve[/URL]
You’ve committed to a Blade Runner sequel. Feeling the pressure?
I’m attached to direct. I took the decision after much thinking. I’m aware of the massive pressure I will have on my shoulders doing this. But first, I’m a massive fan of the first Blade Runner. It’s one of my favorite movies of all time, and I’m a huge fan of Ridley Scott’s work. When I read the script, I felt it was so strong and so inspiring, I was not able to say no. I said, “All right, let’s do it,” and I have Ridley Scott’s blessing. I know I can do it, but honestly, it’s a big challenge. It’s the biggest challenge of my life.

Q&A: Denis Villeneuve on the Blade Runner sequel
Many sci-fi fans are saying that no one should attempt to make a sequel to Blade Runner, after all these years. What do you say to them?
You know what? To be honest, I had the same reaction at the beginning. For me, Blade Runner is a cult movie. It’s really one of my favourite films of all time. I’m a big sci-fi addict and that movie is by far one of my favourites if not my favourite, with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So when they said they were doing a sequel I said, “That is a fantastic, genius and maybe bad idea.” I was very excited, but at the same time a bit afraid. And when I got the chance to read the script, I understood. Ridley Scott (now producer) and Hampton Fancher (original co-writer, now co-producer) came with a very strong idea and a very exciting one. Honestly, I think that the fans will agree with me. It’s really a strong movie.

Will it still have Harrison Ford in it, playing Rick Deckard? Is he well enough to be in a movie, after being injured in a plane crash in March?
He’s going to be perfect for that part. He’s recovering, yes. He’ll be okay.

Will he have a major role in the movie?
To be honest with you, unfortunately, I cannot say more. From a creative point of view, I can say nothing. All I can tell you is that I deeply love the first movie and I will do everything to honour this privilege.

Denis Villeneuve on the 'Blade Runner' Sequel and Working With Roger Deakins
How are you going to bring that approach to violence to the "Blade Runner" franchise?
When you think about the first "Blade Runner," the violence was approached in a very human way. The violence was very maturely realized.

I'm so psyched you're re-teaming with Roger Deakins for the film.
Yeah, I know. It's something that I knew about [for] a while obviously, and I was looking forward [to when] it would be announced. For me, it's so exciting. Roger and I have been dreaming to make a sci-fi movie since the first day we met. He is really, really excited about the project. For me, he is my biggest ally, and honestly I know doing it with him the movie will look astonishing. It is very exciting to do that with him.

Why does sci-fi excite the two of you so much?
I think Roger needs the idea to go explore different genres, a different sphere. It's kind of a challenge. A master needs challenge to be happy, or else he has a tendency to repeat himself. Sci-fi will give him the opportunity to explore new ways of doing cinema.

For me sci-fi, since a kid i've loved sci-fi. I'm a big sci-fi fan. There's not that much good sci-fi movies. It's a very tough genre. It's just because it can be so poetic and strong when it's well done. It allows you to approach very deep and strong, and dark, sometimes, themes with a distance. Because you have that distance on science fiction that allows you to do very close things that otherwise would be unbearable for a regular movie. It's linked with the idea of dream. To dream about something that could happen. I love it.

It's amazing to consider the ride you've been on since "Incendies" really put you on the map a few yeas ago. Looking back, did you ever think that and "Polytechnique" would lead you to where you are now, with a film in the Cannes competition and a "Blade Runner" movie in the works?
If you were telling me that I would be asked to do the sequel of "Blade Runner," I would laugh out loud in your face and maybe insult you [laughs]. I'm working a lot, so I don't have the time to see. But, it's a bit of a dream right now.

I like this guy- sounds like the script is as good as Ford says it is for him to do it. This guy thinks BR and 2001 are the best- well he KNOWS great sci-fi! Nuff said!

I like this guy- sounds like the script is as good as Ford says it is for him to do it. This guy thinks BR and 2001 are the best- well he KNOWS great sci-fi! Nuff said!

"From the filmmaking team that watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner..."

Blade Runner is my favorite sci Fi film...all I'm gonna hope for is that it's decent.. Nothing more...I know it'll never surpass the first one so it is what it is and I will buy a ticket...I personally think it woulda been fine if no sequel/prequel was done. God I hope they never make a sequel/prequel to Excalibur :) some classic films IMHO should never be rebooted/remade or prequel/sequeled :)

Having seen Sicario, I'm confident if anything, at least this film will be a treat to the senses.

I'm more excited about this film( nervous maybe too) than any other film period...Blade Runner is my favorite sci fi film all time

I'm COMPLETELY shocked Ridley isn't going to direct this after years of talking it up and it's supposed to have a great script...HUH???

Back