BIG NEWS: Frankenstein Bride of Frankenstein and Dracula Blu-rays in 2012!!!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Monster

Super Freak
Reaction score
Posted January 10, 2012 09:45 AM by Josh Katz

As part of its 100th Anniversary this year, Universal Studios will unveil the results of its extensive film restoration campaign. Beginning this year, thirteen Universal titles will benefit from the studio's labors. The list includes:

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Birds
Bride of Frankenstein
Abbott and Costello's Buck Privates
The English and Spanish language Dracula versions filmed in 1931
Frankenstein
Jaws
Out of Africa
Pillow Talk
Schindler's List
The Sting
To Kill a Mockingbird
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Universal's Technical Operations Head Michael Daruty stresses the thoroughness of this project, as "the restorations...took three to six months each and cost $250,000 to $600,000 per title."

Daruty also hinted at similar film treatment in the future, noting that "this was a commitment by the company to say, 'We're gonna devote funding and most probably continue that effort year over year, to try and preserve and restore the legacy of the company...whether we're gonna get our money back in that first year or not.' "

The only caveat is that not all of the aforementioned films will receive Blu-ray treatment; Universal has only definitively confirmed All Quiet on the Western Front, Jaws, Out of Africa, and To Kill a Mockingbird Blu-rays.

However, the studio's official press release includes a detail that "highly anticipated Blu-ray releases of Universal's Classic Monster and Alfred Hitchcock series" will street later in the year, which bodes well for expecting The Birds, Bride of Frankenstein, both Dracula versions, and Frankenstein HD upgrades.

Update: Included in their restoration press release is a mention of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, which, while not officially part of Universal's 2012 restoration slate, will receive a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Edition this year.

OH HAPPY DAY FOR MONSTERKIDS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fireworks:yess::clap:fireworks

The Monster,
Nick

Can't wait 'til Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Bride hit Blu ray. It'll be sweet if there is more additional content than what was on the original DVDs.

I can't wait! But not to sound ungrateful, I also really hope we get THE MUMMY (1932) and the Claude Rains version of PHANTOM (1943). I especially can't wait to see BRIDE.

I'll wait for the inevitable Legacy Collections on BR, and then, that'll be a maybe. I'm still not convinced BR offers a significant enough upgrade to make the purchase on these.

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Birds
Bride of Frankenstein
Abbott and Costello's Buck Privates
The English and Spanish language Dracula versions filmed in 1931
Frankenstein
Jaws
Out of Africa
Pillow Talk

Looks like I need to get into Blu-Ray...

BB

Last edited:
I'll wait for the inevitable Legacy Collections on BR, and then, that'll be a maybe. I'm still not convinced BR offers a significant enough upgrade to make the purchase on these.

BR might not, but the restoration can if done right. They might not have much to work with.

Maybe they can mute the screaming maid this time around in Bride. . .

Just saw this can't wait for Universal Monsters in HD
[ame]https://youtu.be/XXnu58AwvME[/ame]

Purists are going to have a problem with some of their philosophy on grain.

Agreed. I've thought this when I first started seeing much older films being transferred to BR. But who knows. Im with on the Legacy Collections as well, man those were great. Im hoping for some new documentaries like they had on the LC and the Anniversary discs of Frankenstein and Dracula etc. I'd probably definitely grab them up then.

Back