Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief studios - James Bond Collector figures

Congrats to BCS on this, I know how difficult and expensive this must have been to put together, so it truly is a landmark for the 1/6 hobby. I really look forward to seeing what they can do with it.

Re: Big Chief Studios Acquires James Bond License

While I won't be into this TOO heavy, mostly because I don't have all the money in the world, I'm DEFINITELY getting some of these. I'm excited to see what they look like.

Jaws was my Grail Sideshow figure (actually the figure that got me ordering directly thru Sideshow's site) so he's #1 on my re-make list, but Oddjob and Goldfinger (who Sideshow never made) are great first choices IMO. It will be interesting to see if they keep with a Bond and villain theme like Sideshow did. So far they are, and that's a good thing. They help sell each other when they are released in groups or pairs.

Interesting. I have all I could want from the Sideshow line although these should be improvements over those, I don't know if I want to spend $200+ trading up. Maybe I'll get a new Connery or Brosnan. I'll be mighty tempted by the Bond women though.

They already have tooling done for an Eva Green sculpt for their Penny Dreadful line so it won't cost them much to put a Vesper together.

Sherlock: Abominable Bride is the first time the tailoring on their figures has approached Hot Toys level.

I hope they can take it to the next level for Bond. Their are so many custom suit and tuxedos out there,
it needs to at LEAST match options you can nab from ebay.

I'm very excited to see what Big Chief Studios can do with Bond. Licensed figures are long overdue! :)

Out of curiosity have they ever produced any necked sculpts? All I have seen from them previously is neckless sculpts and for a character like Goldfinger I would think that a neck would be necessary.

Damn first Doctor Who now 007. Guess all of my money is going to Big Chief now.

Damn first Doctor Who now 007. Guess all of my money is going to Big Chief now.

This could make or break BC for me. If you're gonna snag a high profile license (LIke Blitzway w GB) you netter deliver (like BW did).

This could make or break BC for me. If you're gonna snag a high profile license (LIke Blitzway w GB) you netter deliver (like BW did).

The headsculpts won't be nearly as good, not even in the same ballpark.

I actually have a pretty nice Connery custom (from Goldfinger), so the first three releases aren't exactly a top priority. Even so, this just sounds so good. Very good news...

Blitzway should sit in a category on its own.
I have no idea how a small boutique company like that produces such high quality pieces across a spectrum of formats and sizes while keeping the price reasonable.

I think Big Chief suffers from the same thing that often plagues Sideshow, and that is a real lack of consistency, despite the talent they have working for them. You simply don't know what you are going to get as far as the final production piece goes in terms of paint, in terms of tailoring, even in terms of sculpt detail loss during production. Every single release feels like a very expensive lucky dip, but whereas Sideshow at least has a reasonable and reliable customer service back end, Big Chief doesn't even have that to any consistency, so it always feels like taking a leap of faith without a net when pre-ordering anything from them.

It's not that Big Chief is incapable of delivering the goods, quality wise, it's that the odds of their doing so from one release to another aren't in any way predictable, so consumer confidence really suffers as a result. They are also very light on sharing information with customers and keeping them updated on products and release date changes, which does them few favours. And the frustrations of many dealing with their customer service side are long and well documented.

The only thing that has really kept me around is the strength and core appeal of the licenses they hold, and Bond will have that much going for it, as well. And it is never too late for any company to shift gears, and get their house in order as far as final production quality goes. Reputations can be rewritten by a string of consistently good quality releases, and by doing more to keep customers informed and up to date. Loyalty can be re-established by improving customer service response time and fairness standards. Will any of that happen? Who knows, to be honest at this point my personal confidence isn't high, but it's still something to hope for.

Like most things we'll just have to see how things ultimately shake out, I guess.

Also I have to say, the one random comment Big Chief already posted in this thread was childish, immature, and not a very good sign of things to come.

They must have paid huge for the license, I hope the pony up for some real talent and QC to do these justice to match. I am not being critical of them for the sake of it, but I havn't seen anything thus far to prove they can do it. I sincerely hope they prove me wrong, and if they do, they will have me as a customer who will buy every Bond figure they release.

I need some guarantees from BCS here:

1/ All six Bonds WILL be made without fail. Don't want any messing and Lazenby and Dalton never make it out!

2/ All six Bonds get a tux version - sure the Goldfinger Connery is iconic BUT there has to be tux versions.

3/ On a general note I'd like continuity with the display stands. Don't want movie specific ones - would prefer a nice regimented stand that represents the franchise as a whole.

#1 is my biggest worry, that they wont get around to all of the Bonds. They are starting with the obvious choice (Connery in GF), and by the time they get around to Lazenby & Dalton, the line may have slowed down (not unlike the Sucker Punch line from Sideshow, where they made 2 of figures).

#2 I am not too fussed if we get each Bond in a dinner jacket. Take Dalton, I would rather see his 1:6 Bond in those black combat fatigues from the pre-titles of TLD. That would come as more of a surprise. Though I would like to know if the dinner jacket Dalton would come with the velcro strips for his lapels...?

#3 For the stands, I would like to see both the film and year of release on them.

Also I have to say, the one random comment Big Chief already posted in this thread was childish, immature, and not a very good sign of things to come.

They must have paid huge for the license, I hope the pony up for some real talent and QC to do these justice to match. I am not being critical of them for the sake of it, but I havn't seen anything thus far to prove they can do it. I sincerely hope they prove me wrong, and if they do, they will have me as a customer who will buy every Bond figure they release.

:exactly::goodpost:

I like BIG Chief. Their quality is of a high standard and not over tanned like Hot Toys (Bruce Banner is not indian far too dark) or under detailed like Three Zero. Their clothes always need bit of posing but i don't want a figure to come out of the packet and be ready i want to take my time getting the figure how i want it. But over priced? really guys hot toys most recent iron man is more than having 2 figures.
This line is going to be an incredible chance to see what BIG Chief is made of and making judgements based on a different license is pointless. I don't get judged by people for not being able to spell my full address when i was 7 so why judge a company on faults from years ago. I've heard the TARDIS's have had issues but i mean its a show from the BBC they can't even keep the bake off on their channels so there is no way the TARDIS is perfectly straight and all the lights work inside of the actual prop.
I can't wait to own some of the bonds, definitely a Connery but i will have to see what else takes my eye. Maybe a JAWS ooooooo
So lets all spend time thinking of what figure they may do and how great they could be rather than judging the company. Plus i don't know about you guys but we are collecting high end collectibles which are essentially toys if they act childish i don't blame them we are buy toys and in many ways giving them criticism.

I hope they don't take good sculpts and ruin them with flat paint like the Sherlock figures :pray:

Yeah, the paint apps have been what's kept me from buying. Inigo's Sherlock sculpts were fantastic, but the paint was subpar for me.

I believe he'll be doing some Bond sculpts too and I expect they'll be great as well, just bring the paint up to the level of the sculpts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back